Narcissistic Personality Disorder

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

morefaithrequired

ok well that helps me understand you more.
heres some advice you can take or leave...
look at your part in the problem. are you enabling his behaviour?
good old boundaries.......
dont feel bad ending the relationship..
dont feel guilty...
look after yourself
dont be a martyr

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
ok well that helps me understand you more.
heres some advice you can take or leave...
look at your part in the problem. are you enabling his behaviour?
good old boundaries.......
dont feel bad ending the relationship..
dont feel guilty...
look after yourself
dont be a martyr
I guess I enable it, yes. I fear the consequences. If I try to start boundaries, it makes things worse.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Is anyone familiar with Narcissistic Personality Disorder?
Just wanting some insight.
This is not something I have. I'm just seeking feedback.
hillary clinton is the planet’s most serious case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Listen to her interviews blaming her presidential defeat on everyone and everything but herself. It’s truly a study enriched with elaborate information.

M

morefaithrequired

I guess I enable it, yes. I fear the consequences. If I try to start boundaries, it makes things worse.
good ol assertiveness.
learning how to express anger annoyance and displeasure
Being addicted to a nice image of ourselves.
if there is any issue that is most common on internet advice forums it is assertiveness.
as we get older we learn to show our claws but in an appropriate way. Its challenging. we all err on side of either aggression or avoidance.
communication skill is everything imo.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
good ol assertiveness.
learning how to express anger annoyance and displeasure
Being addicted to a nice image of ourselves.
if there is any issue that is most common on internet advice forums it is assertiveness.
as we get older we learn to show our claws but in an appropriate way. Its challenging. we all err on side of either aggression or avoidance.
communication skill is everything imo.
I lean more on the avoidance side. Peace keeper. I'm also an empath I think.
Why am I this way? I have no idea. Remember when I said I was weak?
Well, it's not just weakness. There is more to my story that I probably can't share on here. I wish I could but I think I better side step it.
I've come to love this place, it's become important to me.
That's never happened before..... a chat forum that hooked me so much.
I can't make the mistake of triggering someone and then feel like I have to leave.

I do want to thank you, though, for encouraging me to at least bring it out.
I thought I would come on here and keep it hidden, but we are not meant to hide what's really under our skin. Not forever. Also, thank you for the kind words you wrote on your game thread. I consider you one of my best friends on here.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
hillary clinton is the planet’s most serious case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Listen to her interviews blaming her presidential defeat on everyone and everything but herself. It’s truly a study enriched with elaborate information.
Wouldn't it be nice if narcissism stayed strictly in politics?
Let us "normal " people be "normal".

Nov 9, 2019
San Francisco
I really need to find that thread! I'm sorry, I had no idea.
This topic is big in my life because I've been with a narcissist for a very long time, and it's wrecked havoc on my life. I'm so restricted on what I can do, and who I can communicate with. He had me brainwashed against people for some time, but then I woke up and reality hit me. Why am I still with him?
I might be able to elaborate on that more soon.

You got me to open up a little. It's a long story.
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you are experiencing dating a narcissist! I was in a relationship with a narcissist a while ago and it certainly did some damage. I think @morefaithrequired has some good advice regarding this topic.

If you don't mind, would you be comfortable opening up a little more about what's going on? I understand if not!!

While Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is often characterized by feelings of self-importance and a hunger for admiration, the most harmful symptom of NPD is a lack of empathy and disregard for other people. This disorder can occur alongside Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD). Narcissists are often very manipulative (like you said, they are pros at brainwashing). A relationship with a narcissist is often emotionally abusive. They often pretend to be charismatic and romantic to attract a victim. They hold this facade and any positive behaviors over you whenever you confront them about their cruel behavior. For example, a narcissist may bring up the time they surprised you with flowers and a date when you are trying to tell them that their backhanded comments hurt your feelings. Although a person who suffers from NPD is the victim of a cruel mental illness, it is a horrible issue when some narcissists choose to act on their impulses to dehumanize others.

Based on my experience with narcissists, I have learned to identify the emotional abuse tactics they use so I can avoid being emotionally destroyed by them. However, it's a bit more difficult when you're romantically involved with one. I totally understand how you are asking yourself "why am I still with him?" I was asking myself the same thing last summer. It's like a tug-o-war: half of you wants to stay with them while the other half wants to be free! This confusion and reluctance is a result of the manipulation tactics they use. Here is a list of tactics that narcissists use (content warning: language). I'm sure that you are unfortunately familiar with at least some of them:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/shahida-...ociopaths-and-psychopaths-use-to-silence-you/

When you can actively identify the tactics your narcissistic partner is using, you can separate the person they are pretending to be from the dark and sinister reality of their character. This may help you break free from his control!

M

morefaithrequired

im too empathetic to be a narcisist? that is good news

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Could be worse. Instead of too empathic, one could be too pathetic to be a narcissist. :p Hard to be proud when one totally sucks at everything.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
Well if the politicians were the only narcissistic people, the rest of us could be spared from dealing with it in person, at home, in public, etc.

Narcissism can be very brutal. The people on the receiving end pay the price.

Feb 28, 2016
We are all kind of narcissistic, but of different levels. Some are tolerable but some are unbearable. I find people who are feeling entitled, very demanding and toxic as the unbearable kind of narcissist. They will drain you in no time if you are with them.
==================================================
Jesus Christ's 'called, chosen, elect, are 'definitely NOT narcissistic!!!, this is impossible after they have been called OUT of 'the world'...

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
im too empathetic to be a narcisist? that is good news
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you are experiencing dating a narcissist! I was in a relationship with a narcissist a while ago and it certainly did some damage. I think @morefaithrequired has some good advice regarding this topic.

If you don't mind, would you be comfortable opening up a little more about what's going on? I understand if not!!

While Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is often characterized by feelings of self-importance and a hunger for admiration, the most harmful symptom of NPD is a lack of empathy and disregard for other people. This disorder can occur alongside Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD). Narcissists are often very manipulative (like you said, they are pros at brainwashing). A relationship with a narcissist is often emotionally abusive. They often pretend to be charismatic and romantic to attract a victim. They hold this facade and any positive behaviors over you whenever you confront them about their cruel behavior. For example, a narcissist may bring up the time they surprised you with flowers and a date when you are trying to tell them that their backhanded comments hurt your feelings. Although a person who suffers from NPD is the victim of a cruel mental illness, it is a horrible issue when some narcissists choose to act on their impulses to dehumanize others.

Based on my experience with narcissists, I have learned to identify the emotional abuse tactics they use so I can avoid being emotionally destroyed by them. However, it's a bit more difficult when you're romantically involved with one. I totally understand how you are asking yourself "why am I still with him?" I was asking myself the same thing last summer. It's like a tug-o-war: half of you wants to stay with them while the other half wants to be free! This confusion and reluctance is a result of the manipulation tactics they use. Here is a list of tactics that narcissists use (content warning: language). I'm sure that you are unfortunately familiar with at least some of them:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/shahida-...ociopaths-and-psychopaths-use-to-silence-you/

When you can actively identify the tactics your narcissistic partner is using, you can separate the person they are pretending to be from the dark and sinister reality of their character. This may help you break free from his control!

Thank you for that link. I have researched this disorder many times over, but have never come across this one. Many of these tactics refer to my situation.
Aggressive jabs disguised as jokes........ I could never find the term for this.
This happens all the time. Also, covert and overt threats, and preemptive defense.
I didn't know these terms, but am familiar with the descriptions. Gaslighing is also a factor. I am ok with talking about this, but discreetly. Do you accept PM?
Is that an option on here? Some things are just a bit touchy. You seem genuine and kind, so I would trust you.

M

morefaithrequired

Thank you for that link. I have researched this disorder many times over, but have never come across this one. Many of these tactics refer to my situation.
Aggressive jabs disguised as jokes........ I could never find the term for this.
This happens all the time. Also, covert and overt threats, and preemptive defense.
I didn't know these terms, but am familiar with the descriptions. Gaslighing is also a factor. I am ok with talking about this, but discreetly. Do you accept PM?
Is that an option on here? Some things are just a bit touchy. You seem genuine and kind, so I would trust you.
PM?
sorry I'm busy at the moment.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
PM?
sorry I'm busy at the moment.
Private Message. I have seen that term before. I should have just typed it out instead of being lazy, but the page was acting up at 5he time so I had to make it short. And by the way, when you first posted on here and said,
"sorry i didnt notice your thread.
i was busy starting my own.
i feel like a narcissist."

At the time, I didn't get the joke........ I have too many blond moments.

M

morefaithrequired

Private Message. I have seen that term before. I should have just typed it out instead of being lazy, but the page was acting up at 5he time so I had to make it short. And by the way, when you first posted on here and said,
"sorry i didnt notice your thread.
i was busy starting my own.
i feel like a narcissist."

At the time, I didn't get the joke........ I have too many blond moments.
You can PM here. i have to let others PM me as I havent paid 24 dollars to enable me to PM others.

WingsOfLight

Dec 10, 2019
I did not mean to quote this twice..... the screen was making me go back and forth.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
==================================================
Jesus Christ's 'called, chosen, elect, are 'definitely NOT narcissistic!!!, this is impossible after they have been called OUT of 'the world'...

Good to know you are already there, but some of us are still a work in progress.

M

morefaithrequired

We are all kind of narcissistic, but of different levels. Some are tolerable but some are unbearable. I find people who are feeling entitled, very demanding and toxic as the unbearable kind of narcissist. They will drain you in no time if you are with them.
Define toxic