Nature of Saving Faith?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Abraham started a journey to a land he could not see that would be given to him and his family

noah started to build a boat for a flood he could not see

Rahab hid two spies not knowing if she would be caught, and was spared

abraham offered up his son, not being able to see that God would raise him from the dead. But having faith he would

we have faith in a man who died 2000 years ago we did not see, who rose from the dead, which we did not witness, and in a heaven we can not see

its our hope we trust in

abraham had a hope of this land, this promise

noah had a hope of salvation because he trusted God would do what he said

Rahab feared the God of Israel more than her own Gods and had a hope God would save her

I hope this helps
Thank you. I see that the common thread in this is believing without seeing. One may not see the end result but believe in God’s character that he is good.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Abraham started a journey to a land he could not see that would be given to him and his family

abraham offered up his son, not being able to see that God would raise him from the dead. But having faith he would

we have faith in a man who died 2000 years ago we did not see, who rose from the dead, which we did not witness, and in a heaven we can not see

its our hope we trust in

Rahab feared the God of Israel more than her own Gods and had a hope God would save her

I hope this helps
Yes, faith carries with it, arms and legs.

E

eternally-gratefull

Thank you. I see that the common thread in this is believing without seeing. One may not see the end result but believe in God’s character that he is good.
Yes!

In the hope of eternal life. which God, who can not lie, promised before time began.

Our hope is that we will be with God forever because he has forgiven our sins.

As John said, he wrote things to us so we may KNOW we have eternal life, and by this HOPE continue to believe in him

It is this knowledge of what God promised that keeps us trusting in him. Because he is faithful.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
What is the nature of saving faith? How have you seen faith show in your own life or in the life of others?
"Saving faith" is the faith of God. it is spiritual, not natural. Faith can be viewed as spiritual eyesight.
Christians have a hard time discerning the difference between being born again, which is what people call being saved, and the salvation of the soul, which some people wrongly call progressive sanctification. Being born again is to receive a new, eternal spirit that cannot die. It is where God, Lord Jesus and the Holy Spirit are pleased to dwell.

In order to understand "salvation" correctly, it helps to think of deliverance. Luke 4:18 is the true gospel. Being born again is the start of the journey.

The salvation (deliverance) of the soul (1 Peter 1:9, James 1:21) is the freeing of the soul from bondage to sin, self, Satan and the world system. It is a lifetime work. No one attains to holiness perfection in this life. We do have an individual race to run. Some finish the race, some get part of the way and some hardly get started.

Some people view Christianity as a kind of lifebelt thrown to people drowning in sin. They just stay afloat until the Lord returns or they die. In reality, it is like a lifeboat where people are pulled out the sea of sin, cleaned up, warmed up, fed, clothed and sent out to rescue other sinners.

Jul 11, 2020

its our hope we trust in

I hope this helps
I really like this post.

Apart from believing while not seeing, the common feature here is that the persons the scripture referred to as being righteous showed evidence of their faith by "doing". (acting on the Word)

In like manner, as believers, the only evidence we have to show for our faith is to carry our cross and follow Christ Jesus as he enjoined us, in all situations. In abundance and adversity even though with bleeding footsteps. Even if we are pressed out of measure, above our strength in so much that we despair of our life, we must remain steadfast.

Even if the outward man looks haggard and malnourished for lack of food and cloths to put on and the appearance so marred that people revile, malign and laugh based on the appearance, we must be steadfast.

Even if ...........----------------

If our faith is not leading us to this, we must check the integrity of our heart. Our faith may be suspect.

E

eternally-gratefull

I really like this post.

Apart from believing while not seeing, the common feature here is that the persons the scripture referred to as being righteous showed evidence of their faith by "doing". (acting on the Word)

In like manner, as believers, the only evidence we have to show for our faith is to carry our cross and follow Christ Jesus as he enjoined us, in all situations. In abundance and adversity even though with bleeding footsteps. Even if we are pressed out of measure, above our strength in so much that we despair of our life, we must remain steadfast.

Even if the outward man looks haggard and malnourished for lack of food and cloths to put on and the appearance so marred that people revile, malign and laugh based on the appearance, we must be steadfast.

Even if ...........----------------

If our faith is not leading us to this, we must check the integrity of our heart. Our faith may be suspect.
I believe James was saying the same thing when he told us to check out faith. Is it a claimed faith or is it a living faith.

Jul 11, 2020
I believe James was saying the same thing when he told us to check out faith. Is it a claimed faith or is it a living faith.
What do you mean by a claimed faith? I only know one kind of faith. The faith that produces righteousness/holiness/perfection.

E

eternally-gratefull

What do you mean by a claimed faith? I only know one kind of faith. The faith that produces righteousness/holiness/perfection.
James 2: 14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith (claimed faith) but does not have works? Can faith save him?

ie. He claims to have faith. But does he really have faith

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
Precious friend, probably Why God Inspired Paul to write to us:

"(...we walk By FAITH, NOT by sight...)" (2Co 5:7 KJB!)

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Saving faith must be pure and sincere. Luke 18:17—"Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." Jesus knows if you're faking it or if you have ulterior motives.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Saving faith must be pure and sincere. Luke 18:17—"Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it." Jesus knows if you're faking it or if you have ulterior motives.
I agree that Jesus knows who believes and who doesn’t and who may be faking faith. One reason one may fake belief is to fit in with their peers or church group.

As for myself, I believe in the Lord Jesus. I wouldn’t want to be without him.

P

pottersclay

A saving faith.....ahhhhh what a beautiful thing to have.
To me that saving faith is depending on the lord's faithfulness to us.
When I get twisted in my thoughts and feel over whelmed he is so faithful to lead me away into praise and worship.
When I am challenged by family and friends in matters and anger and frustration tries to root he calms me with his words of encouragement.
Having that bad day that brings you to disappointment, depression, one of those "I Don't care moments"
He never fails to show that he cares.
He's the greatest listener of all time. He comforts me in my weakness.
I've learned to rest at his word. He reminds me I'm not alone. He wakes me with loving thoughts.
When I lie down to sleep I often think of that days events and shows me his handy work in them.
The list of the things the Lord does for me ...my family....the saints...and anits are endless.
Without his faithfulness in being my rock... Counselor...prince of peace.... shield...defender....and lover of my soul I am certain I would not be around in writing this truth of my Lord and savior..Jesus the Christ.
He is my savior every day....🎉☺☺

Jul 16, 2021
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
Faith is God's gift to us through the work of the Holy Spirit in Word and Sacrament. It is not our decision nor do we cooperate in it because it is not a work. We can not boast I came to Jesus. Jesus comes to us in Word and Sacrament. He creates the faith by placing His Word into our empty sinful heart. That word promises that we are forgiven and have heaven.
10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
The response of faith is to want to do the works which God has provided. He gives us talents and gifts so that we gratefully express our faith in Jesus. The good works we do are not the proof of faith nor are they earning grace. They are our reasonable service to the LOrd who has blotted out our sins, paid the penalty for our crimes and has declared us righteous and wants to take us to heaven.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I agree that Jesus knows who believes and who doesn’t and who may be faking faith. One reason one may fake belief is to fit in with their peers or church group.

As for myself, I believe in the Lord Jesus. I wouldn’t want to be without him.
:)(y)

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
What is the nature of saving faith? How have you seen faith show in your own life or in the life of others?
What do you mean by "saving faith", and whose faith are you referring to?

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
The only faith that saves (delivers) us eternally is the faith "OF" Jesus, and not our faith "IN" Jesus, Gal 2:16. The only spiritual faith that we have comes as a fruit of the Holy Spirit, in which God puts within us when he quickens us to a new spiritual life.

The natural man, before he has been born again by God's sovereign grace cannot discern the things of the Spirit, and the only faith that he has is faith in mankind and his accomplishments. 1 Cor 2:14.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
What do you mean by "saving faith", and whose faith are you referring to?
Saving faith is a term I have heard. It is a term that says in a way there is a difference between faith that saves and faith that doesn’t.