Need Husband's Opinion on Home Heater

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

Depleted

I married an HVAC mechanic. He's fixed and installed just about any kind of heater there is from small homes to industrial ones bigger than our house. (The only kind he never touched are those electric heater-a/c's units some apartment dwellers get stuck with. He hates them, especially in this area, because they shouldn't be used this far north.) Because of that I usually throw out the offer from our gas company for a parts and labor plan.

This time I'm considering it. Here's why:
1. The heater, at best, is from the early 1960's.
2. Hubby is recovering from his heart attack but only to the point of weaning off the ventilator needed. (Being on the ventilator means he can't talk.)

If he's healthy and the heater goes this year, he'll be annoyed with me for spending the $107. If he's not and the heater goes, well, we can't afford a new one. (If memory serves me right -- which it doesn't always -- hubby might have said heaters usually last 60 years.)

There is another option. I can get the plan up until mid April, so I can ask him whenever he can talk again. (It's been 50 days since this started, so that could be a wait of weeks -- all winter weeks.)

Would any part of you get annoyed with your wife if she made the decision to do this? I get no one is going to be 100% annoyed, but it would bother me if he was merely 50% annoyed. So, on the sliding skill between 100% annoyed down to 0% annoyed, how annoyed would you be with your wife, if you were the husband in the hospital? And, I do get the heater probably won't go this winter, but... (Part of me is thinking I'm jinxing it just saying that, until I remember nothing in life is left to chance or jinxes. lol)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Okay, your husband can't talk... can he write? Sign? Blink yes/no to your questions?

Otherwise, I have no advice other than to pray about it. God knows what is best, and you can walk in confidence without being concerned about your husband's reaction if he is truly unable to communicate. There is nothing wrong with you moving ahead on a decision which needs to be made, when your hubby is unable to deal with the issue. Be strong and take courage... the Lord your God is with you! :)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I'm not a husband, so I won't reply..lol

wait, I just replied. Does this make me somebody's husband now? O_O :p

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
I'm not a husband either, but because your hubby is so ill, you need to take responsibility for your home. Since you are incapable of maintaining the furnace yourself, you need to do what ever is most cost-efficient to keep your home safe and warm.

Bottom line: I would take the plan. You don't need another headache.

I don't know what kind of furnace you have, but 60 years is a long, long time to expect a furnace to function well. 20-25 years is what one should expect. Unless your hubby kept your current furnace in absolutely tip-top shape for its entire life, it is certainly nearing the end of its existence.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Lynn, I know you know this already, but with John out of commission, YOU need to make the decisions without wondering what he would do if he were in control. Unless he can let you know through blinking, nodding or writing, YOU are the one in charge of these decisions.

Feb 7, 2015
I'll be very frank with you. I am 4 years past a stroke, and my wife and I are still recovering from the sudden changes it brought to our household for awhile..... and some things linger on. (since my eventual death does keep her realizing that she has to be prepared to run things herself.)

We neither one like the changes forced upon us, and we both have to fight resenting the other a little because of it. Makes no real sense, but it still exists. So, whatever you do probably won't be met with cheerful enthusiasm.

D

Depleted

Okay, your husband can't talk... can he write? Sign? Blink yes/no to your questions?

Otherwise, I have no advice other than to pray about it. God knows what is best, and you can walk in confidence without being concerned about your husband's reaction if he is truly unable to communicate. There is nothing wrong with you moving ahead on a decision which needs to be made, when your hubby is unable to deal with the issue. Be strong and take courage... the Lord your God is with you! :)
Actually, he can nod, but hours before asking this question, I learned the problems with such limited choices as Yes or No. For the last week or so, he's being put on a chair for many benefits after being stuck lying on his back for six weeks. I knew he wanted back in bed, but I didn't know why. I kept asking yes/no questions, and thought I figured out the cause. His back was spasming in the chair. I thought a back spasm would be the only reason he couldn't take the pain, so when I'm there and that happens, I argue with his nurses until he's back in bed. (It takes at least 15 minutes to move him too -- between his size and all the tubes and lines connected to him.)

And then I found out he has a bed wound. (Too big to be called a mere "sore." It's about the size of a fist.) Yesterday, I was there when they put him in the chair, (I was only there twice when he's gone in that chair), and saw him sob in such a way, you'd have to know him to know he's crying. (He doesn't cry tears. His shoulders shake. BUT, he's too weak to shake his shoulders, so the only evidence left is the face he makes and his head turns red.)

When I got home I realized something. His back may have never spasmed, but that was the closest I got to guessing what's wrong, so he nodded. There are often way too many answers that aren't covered under yes/no answers.

His answer is probably either "Okay, but only if..." or "No, because I know..." Being in the trades, he knows who he can turn to, and would probably get a better deal from friends. A while ago, we took one of those programs the government has for an energy audit. Out of it, we got a new frig and new a/c unit. (Our frig had died. My a/c was 20 years old and still working fine -- merely an energy hog.) Both only lasted two years. Fortunately, that was exactly how long we needed them, since that's when he got approved for disability and his back pay came in, (God's grace definitely timed that right), but without that, we would have been without a normal refrigerator, (we have a two-shelf apartment unit) and I would have had no a/c when I slept. He knew how cheap those appliances were. (Whoever heard of a frig lasting only two years?) I didn't.

So yes and no aren't always all there is to a discussion.

D

Depleted

I'll be very frank with you. I am 4 years past a stroke, and my wife and I are still recovering from the sudden changes it brought to our household for awhile..... and some things linger on. (since my eventual death does keep her realizing that she has to be prepared to run things herself.)

We neither one like the changes forced upon us, and we both have to fight resenting the other a little because of it. Makes no real sense, but it still exists. So, whatever you do probably won't be met with cheerful enthusiasm.
That's exactly where I am and what I fear, but I know I have more time to learn what he knows now. (To an extent. He can't teach me all he knows. I am unmechanically-inclined.) He's going to have to give up some of the reigns now, but I want that voluntarily, not forced. (Although, he is never, EVER allowed to self-diagnose through Google anymore. lol)

Feb 24, 2015
Can you survive without heating?

If the answer is no, it is a life and death issue, so without your hubby able to function, $107 is nothing.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Here another thing: your hubby is recovering from a major heart event. The LAST thing you want to do is burden him with decisions about the home. He needs to feel confident that you are taking care of things and that he does NOT need to worry about it. You need to lessen his anxiety by picking up the baton and running with it.

Just my two cents...

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
I think either decision would be a good one... (so, if it was me, I wouldn't be upset).

generally, I'm not in favor of insurances or extended warranties... but in your case, with an old heater, it might make sense.

does the $107 cover the entire year? here in Ohio, a basic furnace/ac unit will run about $2500 and up. so, if you pay $107 for, say, 5 years, and they end up replacing the entire furnace, you've come out ahead...

I'm not sure what kind of house you have, but I've often thought that we could get by with several electric space heaters, zone heating (and yes, protect the water pipes).

also, what kind of art are you doing now?

Jim2244

Apr 30, 2018
I also think that you have to make a decision by yourself. Unfortunately, you dont have a choice. Personally I can recommend to address professionals. At least, you will know how much it will cost you.

Hanna222

Sep 22, 2017
First of all, I'm sorry your husband is ill and you have faced such a situation. I think, it is better to repair your heater, all you can lose is 107$. Personally I always worry about our heating system, especially when winter comes. So, I try to control it. As I'm not tech savvy, I prefer hiring a HVAC service. By the way, if you worry about the cost, it is possible to find out the approximate price of your heating repair on https://servicewhale.com/services/hvac-repair-cost. I used this source and even hired this company several times and I was pleased with the result. Hopefully, your husband gets better real soon and you will solve your issue!

D

Depleted

This is my first Zombie thread where I'm the one who wrote the old thread Newbies brought back from the dead. lol

This post is 28 months old. Doesn't help anyone answering it now, but here is something different. How about finding out how it worked out for a change?

As I was reading this old thread, hubby came downstairs and said, "hello" to me. He's home. He's off the vent, talking, coming down steps like they're just steps, instead of an obstacle course, and out making coffee.

The heater is still our heater. Never did break down. Never did get that insurance thingy. Life has moved on though. Hubby says the heater will probably out live both of us. Sure, it might need a part replaced, but he was a heating mechanic, and he has gotten to the point of sitting behind me while telling me what to do, (for the sink in the bathroom. No need for the heater yet.) And if he can't do that, we can hire someone to fix it, and he's right there, so they better know what they're doing, or he'll tell them what they are doing wrong. lol

Always wanted to find out how an old problem got resolved. Fun to be the one to tell. :)