New Covenant and Old Covenant

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
You demand respect but don't give it. You demand to be heard but don't listen.

I have said I believe in the priesthood of all believers in the New covenant.

Do you even know what that means?

For one I know that the Levite priesthood has been abolished along with many other things in the Old covenant like animal sacrifices, feasts and holy days observances.

I don't demand respect, the Word which became Flesh does. He said what His New Covenant is, I don't know why you are angry with me for believing Him.
 
Do you listen to God or do you try and twist scripture to fit your preconceived doctrines?

****

Colossians 2:16
New International Version
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

****

How honest are you?

I am honest enough to know your understanding of this one scripture does not erase the entire Bible or the Word's therein.

I also know Jesus followed His Father's Holy Days as did Paul and Peter and they never let anyone judge them for doing so.

I also know He didn't create His own High Days or Feasts unto the Lord as "Many" who come in Christ's Name, have done.

Just because I don't agree with your religion doesn't mean I am dishonest, or that I twist scripture.

But you are entitled to your own opinion.

Not much more to say regarding His New covenant, so I'll sign off.

Have a good rest of the day.
 
People of Jewish descent were also circumcised, like Timothy. Gentiles were Not. Yet under the New covenant all are equal in Christ.

The old covenant required circumcision of the male sex organ. The New Covenant requires circumcision of the heart.

You don't have to agree with me, but you should stop making false allegations about what others believe.

I believe we should follow what Jesus teaches. I also believe we should follow as the Holy spirit leads us in our lives. We are all given different spiritual gifts and jobs in this life. We are not all called to do exactly the same thing.
Some are called to eat meat. Some are called to abstain, some are called to keep the Holy days. Some are not.

What is wrong is when people tell others that they aren't saved or children of God because they don't follow what God told them as individuals to do.

If you are a parent and you have two kids, you tell your daughter to wash dishes and your son to take out the trash. Then your daughter yells at your son for not washing dishes.

Another difference between the Old covenant and the New covenant is individualized instructions via the Holy spirit.
 
I disagree. If people want to keep a Sat Sabbath or all the feast they have that freedom in Christ. It is not a sin.

.it is only a sin when people condemn others for not keeping it or make it a requirement for salvation.

We are to pray unceasingly and trust God to provide our needs every day in the New covenant.

so you believe Jesus want to keep Saturday sabbath, kill sabbath violator is a freedom in Christ?
 
so you believe Jesus want to keep Saturday sabbath, kill sabbath violator is a freedom in Christ?

No I believe killing people is old covenant.

Jesus gives people the freedom to keep or not keep the Jewish traditions.

It's not a sin to observe them.

However it's false doctrine to believe they will earn anyone a place in Heaven.
 
People of Jewish descent were also circumcised, like Timothy. Gentiles were Not. Yet under the New covenant all are equal in Christ.

The old covenant required circumcision of the male sex organ. The New Covenant requires circumcision of the heart.

You don't have to agree with me, but you should stop making false allegations about what others believe.

I believe we should follow what Jesus teaches. I also believe we should follow as the Holy spirit leads us in our lives. We are all given different spiritual gifts and jobs in this life. We are not all called to do exactly the same thing.
Some are called to eat meat. Some are called to abstain, some are called to keep the Holy days. Some are not.

What is wrong is when people tell others that they aren't saved or children of God because they don't follow what God told them as individuals to do.

If you are a parent and you have two kids, you tell your daughter to wash dishes and your son to take out the trash. Then your daughter yells at your son for not washing dishes.

Another difference between the Old covenant and the New covenant is individualized instructions via the Holy spirit.

Circumcision, and the Spiritual intent of it has nothing to do with the Covenant Jesus spoke of in Jer. 31. or Hebrews. I'm sorry you are so upset but really, what is wrong with just accepting what Jesus, the Word which became Flesh, says what the New Covenant is?

Circumcision of the heart was always the intent of Circumcision in the Law and the Prophets. At least according to the Word which became Flesh.

Lev. 26:40 If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me;
41 And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:

42 Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.

This has nothing to do with the Priesthood given to the Levites from God through Moses that Jesus took over.

At least according to the Bible.
 
By its very name the book of Leviticus is about the Levitical priesthood of the Old covenant.

Therefore your logic and reasoning is flawed.
 
The covenant spoken of here is that of the Seed, the promised Messiah.
Jacob, Isaac and Abraham


NOT ESAU, ISHMAEL OR LOT

Leviticus 26


40 “But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers in their treachery that they committed against me, and also in walking contrary to me, 41 so that I walked contrary to them and brought them into the land of their enemies—if then their uncircumcised heart is humbled and they make amends for their iniquity, 42 then I will remember my covenant with Jacob, and I will remember my covenant with Isaac and my covenant with Abraham, and I will remember the land. 43 But the land shall be abandoned by them and enjoy its Sabbaths while it lies desolate without them, and they shall make amends for their iniquity, because they spurned my rules and their soul abhorred my statutes. 44 Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not spurn them, neither will I abhor them so as to destroy them utterly and break my covenant with them, for I am the Lord their God. 45 But I will for their sake remember the covenant with their forefathers, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God: I am the Lord.”

****

God doesn't allow the nation of Israel to be completely destroyed for the sake of the promised Seed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
By its very name the book of Leviticus is about the Levitical priesthood of the Old covenant.

Therefore your logic and reasoning is flawed.

Yes, much of the duties of the Priesthood were given in Leviticus. As well as the Command to "Love your neighbor", don't hate your brother in your heart, Love the stranger as yourself, etc.

But according to Jesus, He didn't change the commands for the people, only those Priesthood Duties which were given specifically to the Levites, namely, how God's Law is administered, and how sins are forgiven. At least that is what I gather from the scriptures. Jer. 31 and Hebrews 7-10 confirm this. That is why I believe the way I do.
 
The bible clearly says that the change in priesthood also signifies a change in law...New covenant New laws in place.

Hebrews 7
12For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.
 
Hebrews 7
18For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19(for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.
 
New covenant:

Hebrews 13
. 13Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured. 14For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come.
 
The bible clearly says that the change in priesthood also signifies a change in law...New covenant New laws in place.

Hebrews 7
12For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

Yes it does, and as with the description the Word which became Flesh tells us what the New Covenant is in Jeremiah, so He also tells us what the Change of the Law referred to in Heb. 7.

I'll let the Inspired Words of the Christ explain..

Heb. 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
For the priesthood being changed, (As He promised in Jeremiah) there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Why?


13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.






14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; (Not Levi to whom the office of the Priesthood was given) 5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood





of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

So for Jesus to take over the Priesthood, there had to be a change of the Law regarding who could hold the office. Jesus was from Judah, not Levi.


As it is written. Jer. 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
 
Hebrews 7
18For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19(for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

This entire chapter is speaking to the Levitical Priesthood which Jesus changed. This Law appointed Priests to the Priesthood office by their blood line, not by their faithfulness to God as Jesus demonstrated. It was a carnal commandment. This is not speaking to the "Good" Just, and Holy Commandments of God.

And for you to try and make the claim that this verse is talking about anything other than the Levitical Priesthood is troubling to me given what the rest of the Chapter says. Why would you do this?
 
It comes down to what did Jesus change about the priesthood?

1. he is the eternal high priest and offers sacrifice for sin in Heaven. Thus animal sacrifice has been abolished. *** how can you keep feasts as described in Mount Sinai if they don't have animal sacrifices?

2. He abolished the requirement to be a Levite or even a descendent of Israel to be a part of God's people.

3. All people with the Holy spirit are God's priests and to speak as Oracles of God.
 
No I believe killing people is old covenant.

Jesus gives people the freedom to keep or not keep the Jewish traditions.

It's not a sin to observe them.

However it's false doctrine to believe they will earn anyone a place in Heaven.


Numbers 15:32-36
New King James Version (NKJV)[h=3]Penalty for Violating the Sabbath[/h]32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.



you believe killing people is not old Covenant, how about number 15, is that not old Covenant?



 
God's commandments are not "carnal"

But the Levitical Priesthood was.

Heb. 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

Heb. 7:16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment,(Levites appointing other Levites to the Office of the Priesthood) but after the power of an endless life. (The First to be resurrected because the wages of sin is death, and He never sinned)

You are right, God's Commandments are not Carnal, but the Priesthood "ADDED" to God's Laws, until the Seed should come, was, as it is written.
 


Numbers 15:32-36
New King James Version (NKJV)[h=3]Penalty for Violating the Sabbath[/h]32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.
35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.



you believe killing people is not old Covenant, how about number 15, is that not old Covenant?




Hmmmm.....

I said killing people IS old covenant.

So....,your point?
 
But the Levitical Priesthood was.

Heb. 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

Heb. 7:16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment,(Levites appointing other Levites to the Office of the Priesthood) but after the power of an endless life. (The First to be resurrected because the wages of sin is death, and He never sinned)

You are right, God's Commandments are not Carnal, but the Priesthood "ADDED" to God's Laws, until the Seed should come, was, as it is written.

Okay I see your point . I don't agree that the only thing Jesus changed was the Levitical priesthood in the New covenant. However I can see were you are coming from.