New to bible where do I start?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Happy_hobnob

Mar 11, 2023
Hello I'm in my late 40s I'm from UK and I was baptised a Catholic. I remember bible classes and I can recall little to be honest. But as I've got older and I've seen how the world is and how bad it is in my opinion I started thinking there must be something else out there. I e always believed there was a god but I was never a practicing Christian. I've now downloaded the bible apps and to be honest I dont even know where to begin. What books do I read first and in which order? Any help thanks.
hi Anthony, all scripture in the bible is important in some way or another, but the most special part is the gift of eternal salvation of your soul. You can only recieve such a gift if you first ask for it,

Befor you ask for the gift of salvation which can be done in prayer, in your own time when your calm. It would be best to prepare yourself in your own time when your ready

You will need to believe that Jesus is your lord and saviour who died for your sins and rose again from the grave.

you will need confess with a sincere heart you are a sinner befor God in prayer.

It Goes something like Father God, I come befor you as a sinner and ask for forgiveness for all my sins.

I believe with all my heart that your one and only son Lord Jesus is my lord and saviour who died for my sins and rose again from the grave,

With all my heart I would like to recieve the gift of salvation and the gift of your holy spirit.

Athony you must have a believing heart that The father the son and the holy spirit are one and believe with all sincerity befor asking, all I have mentioned,

Anthony you also could visit a church anywhere in the UK and ask for guidance or search for Christian gatherings on Google offering baptism, you can also read the bible in your own time befor asking to, because when ever your ready to be adopted into the lords family of brother and sisters your lord and saviour will be waiting.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Hello I'm in my late 40s I'm from UK and I was baptised a Catholic. I remember bible classes and I can recall little to be honest. But as I've got older and I've seen how the world is and how bad it is in my opinion I started thinking there must be something else out there. I e always believed there was a god but I was never a practicing Christian. I've now downloaded the bible apps and to be honest I dont even know where to begin. What books do I read first and in which order? Any help thanks.
The bible is so full of treasure you will never exurst the wisdom and love of God.

2Ti 3:16 KJV All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Make sure you test all things to the word of God. People will teach things that sound good and feel good but they are not what the scripture teaches and are leading a stray.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
Your time is better spent in the word than on here, this place is a mixed bag of sheep and wolves.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I suggest you start in the New Testament Gospels and then read to the end of the NT.. take your time and ask God to give you understanding every time you sit down to do some reading..

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Ruth's appearance is a bit of a mystery. The Bible tells of Sarah's beauty, of
Rebecca's, and of Rachel's; but the Bible is mute about Ruth's.

Boaz appears to be an unusual guy. His interest in Ruth wasn't due to any
allure she may have possessed, rather; it was her character that caught his
attention.

When it comes to women, the average guy thinks with his eyes rather than
his brain. But not Boaz. He took note of Ruth's humility, her devotion to
Naomi, her acceptance of the one true God, and that Ruth could've pursued
a younger man than himself.

BTW: Ruth was a Moabite; which were a people descended from Abraham's
nephew Lot. (Gen 19:36-37)
_

Jun 20, 2022
Your time is better spent in the word than on here, this place is a mixed bag of sheep and wolves.
If God is dealing with the OT, then the OT will know who seems likely to be offering sound advice.

Hopefully, he has Discernment. I know it comes in handy when dealing with..others.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
There are folks at large with ideas in their heads that seem solidly supported
by the Bible, but in reality aren't.

It ain't what you know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
(Mark Twain)
_

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Everyones life is different for me I read the book of John over and over :)

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
.. just ask the Lord to guide you

When we are born again Jesus the Living Word comes to dwell IN US, ask Him now to come and dwell in your heart ... He guides from within.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Do you believe you are a sinner?
“But without faith it is impossible to please him:

for he that cometh to God must believe that he is,

and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:6‬ ‭

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

I'm just trying to start with the basics. While I do believe any scripture can be used of God to quicken faith, I'm trying to begin by showing our need of salvation.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I'm just trying to start with the basics. While I do believe any scripture can be used of God to quicken faith, I'm trying to begin by showing our need of salvation.
Yes brother to believe we’re a sinner we need to believe in a God that holds accountable

Jul 14, 2019

Good to try to read Hebrews

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
If He did, none of us would make it.
No lol if we accepted the truth that he does and will we would repent

“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭12:13-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it isn’t a question if he will he has said it again and again it’s why he taught us we have to repent

It stunts our understanding when we reject it though like this isn’t vague or mysterious it’s just true

“Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Who will render to every man according to his deeds: to them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

but unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

but glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: for there is no respect of persons with God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭2:4-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I understand we don’t want to accept it because it tells us we have to repent and change , but rejecting the truth is what keeps us bound up acknolwedging the truth however does this

“in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:25-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if we think God isn’t going to hold people accountable for what they do either good or bad we have missed the basics of the Bible

Repentance a necassary key to salvation because he’s most certainly going to judge the world justly according to righteousness and thier deeds whether good or evil like the Bible says repeatedly

repentance is the reconciliation we’ve been offered and why God is so patient with us he wants us to repent and be forgiven at judgement

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That’s our part to hear and believe the truth and come to repentance if we reject the truth though we’ll never find a reason or any strength to overcome as long as we think “ I don’t need to do anything I’m saved already “ it’s always going to stop the process of redemption

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
No lol if we accepted the truth that he does and will we would repent

“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.”
‭‭Ecclesiastes‬ ‭12:13-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

it isn’t a question if he will he has said it again and again it’s why he taught us we have to repent

It stunts our understanding when we reject it though like this isn’t vague or mysterious it’s just true

“Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Who will render to every man according to his deeds: to them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

but unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

but glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: for there is no respect of persons with God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭2:4-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I understand we don’t want to accept it because it tells us we have to repent and change , but rejecting the truth is what keeps us bound up acknolwedging the truth however does this

“in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

and that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:25-26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if we think God isn’t going to hold people accountable for what they do either good or bad we have missed the basics of the Bible

Repentance a necassary key to salvation because he’s most certainly going to judge the world justly according to righteousness and thier deeds whether good or evil like the Bible says repeatedly

repentance is the reconciliation we’ve been offered and why God is so patient with us he wants us to repent and be forgiven at judgement

“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭KJV‬‬

That’s our part to hear and believe the truth and come to repentance if we reject the truth though we’ll never find a reason or any strength to overcome as long as we think “ I don’t need to do anything I’m saved already “ it’s always going to stop the process of redemption
I agree 100%. The peace and freedom that comes from knowing our sins are forgiven gives us the courage needed to live life with a hope unachievable by any other means. To step into the light of Christ is to change our way of thinking and living. Repentance then becomes a tool that each Christian uses to keep our fellowship alive.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I agree 100%. The peace and freedom that comes from knowing our sins are forgiven gives us the courage needed to live life with a hope unachievable by any other means. To step into the light of Christ is to change our way of thinking and living. Repentance then becomes a tool that each Christian uses to keep our fellowship alive.
Amen I agree , and what happens if we don’t repent ? That parts true also that’s where the fear of God comes in and moves us to repentance makes us move when we wouldn’t otherwise

awe have been born into a new life and like children we grow into more responsibility not the new norms but the ones who’ve gotten to big to sit in mamas lap and drink the bottle now we need some food to grow bones and teach lessons and responsibilities

No believer is lost some are just getting born others are toddlers others teen others adults others elders what I’m talking about is growing up

this kind of warning is imperative to the lessons we have to learn as believers things like this

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭5:19-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

See this isn’t there to condemn Christian’s fornthier past it’s there to break them loose from thier present and lead them into better more fruitful lands of promise break the chains off and set captives free

if we refuse it it won’t help nor teachings anything towards repentance but if we accept it along with the rest assuring us of salvstion it goes to work I. Us to accomplish this change bring us to a place where we begin to act

“Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Do all things without murmurings and disputings:”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭2:12-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a believers are changed inwardly by the word they hear and receive when we read about the dire need to stop sinning it’s meant to change our Will and actions from sin to righteousness

a theres a lot of it in the New Testament it’s meant to lead us to repentance by having the constant message there with the rest “ believers your going to be saved but you must repent and stop living as you did before “

It isn’t “ your saved it doesn’t matter what you do now repent or not your saved nothing you do matters now “

that’s a bit hyperbolic but it really is the message of so many “ this verse about grace is true , the one about repentance and eternal judgement those aren’t true “

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Hebrews 11:6
:)