W
Whybother
Guest
Every time I hear of a young black man being killed by a police officer it reminds me of the time I was trying to get up the stairs to my office with arms and hands full of boxes and bags.
As I approached, two young boys, ages probably nine or ten, were sitting on the steps blocking my passage. (There was a barbershop on the first floor so I suppose they were there to get a hair cut). I stopped and just stood there waiting for them to move, but they didn't. An older kid, looked to be, in his very early teens spoke up and said, "why don't y'all get out of the way, y'all see that man (is) trying to get up them stairs? They're going to call the police on y'all." One of the kids slowly stood up and stepped down the stairs, reluctantly. The other just sat there, moving his knees to one side, but he never stood up or got out of the way. His reply to to older kid was, "I ain't scared of no police." I just smiled and asked, "do you respect them?" He said,"respect 'em for what?" Then I said, “I know your parents don't teach you to be disrespectful of others.” He said,“she don't like no police either.” I remarked, "young man, no respect and no fear is a deadly combination . When he said, “I don't care” I knew it was time for me to leave him alone.
I often wonder about that kid. He should be a young man now, but many young black men have been killed since that time – a few by the police, but most by other young black men with no fear and no respect.
As I approached, two young boys, ages probably nine or ten, were sitting on the steps blocking my passage. (There was a barbershop on the first floor so I suppose they were there to get a hair cut). I stopped and just stood there waiting for them to move, but they didn't. An older kid, looked to be, in his very early teens spoke up and said, "why don't y'all get out of the way, y'all see that man (is) trying to get up them stairs? They're going to call the police on y'all." One of the kids slowly stood up and stepped down the stairs, reluctantly. The other just sat there, moving his knees to one side, but he never stood up or got out of the way. His reply to to older kid was, "I ain't scared of no police." I just smiled and asked, "do you respect them?" He said,"respect 'em for what?" Then I said, “I know your parents don't teach you to be disrespectful of others.” He said,“she don't like no police either.” I remarked, "young man, no respect and no fear is a deadly combination . When he said, “I don't care” I knew it was time for me to leave him alone.
I often wonder about that kid. He should be a young man now, but many young black men have been killed since that time – a few by the police, but most by other young black men with no fear and no respect.