Noah’s ark and faith

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
“And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.”

‭‭Genesis‬ ‭6:5-8‬ ‭

There’s no question Noah is saved by Gods grace from a coming end to all mankind but that’s not the full story it’s just a fact God

So Noah is saved by grace truly and without controversy but it is through the process of faith this part is essential to Noah’s salvation by grace but through faith

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, ( he told him bout the flood coming and bout the ark)

moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house;

by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:6-7‬ ‭

the ark was built by faith not Noah’s design or works but he believed what God said was true and did it knowing it would save his family and self . this is James point ( faith without works is dead being alone ) of Noah said “ I believe you God but I don’t really need to be worried bout the flood or build the ark you said to build I’m already saved then would Noah have had the same result claiming he had faith but refusing to believe what God said would save his family ?

So then this being true

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭

Noah was saved because Gods grace towards him first

“the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

And then Through faith when he hears what God said was coming and how to be saved

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And God said unto Noah, ( after he found grace ) The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make thee an ark of gopher wood ( he tells Noah the worlds ending in a flood and how to build the ark )

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

(more instructions for what to do )

Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭6:13-14, 17-18, 22‬ ‭KJV

Noah was saved because God was gracious to him and told him how to be saved and save his family and enter into a new covenant where he inherited the earth with his children see genesis chapter nine for the day it was made with them just like before with Adam and Eve

So by or because of Gods grace , Noah was given faith when God told him about the flood and how to build the ark and be saved

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

not of works, lest any man should boast.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:8-10‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Noah was given Gods grace and saved because of that , he had no place to boast that he saved himself he could just say I believed in God and was saved he spared me by his grace in telling me about the coming flood and teaching me how to build the ark and be saved and promising me a new covenant and great inheritance

The gospel is God giving us grace and telling us the truth about the end of all things and how to be saved from that end and blessed with an inheritance in his eternal Kingdom

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”

“For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:9‬ ‭

“Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭4:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

If you made it this far I hope you found something to consider God bless

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Good thoughts.

The above, however is very important. Had Noah NOT obeyed God and NOT built the Ark, would he still have been saved through faith? Or would his faith been found lacking? :)

Obedience to "ones" CALLING is an important part of all of this IMO.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
I liked this.

You wrote
"Noah was given faith when God told him about the flood and how to build the ark and be saved
Wouldn't it be more accurate to write "Noah was given grace, so God told him..." Certainly faith comes by hearing but it is not made compulsory because of it: one may hear God and not believe. Then, for Noah to claim to have faith there is, of necessity, the appearance of work commensurate with the word that was given.

God, "Build and ark."
Noah, "Okay!" (no appearance of faith yet)
Noah then builds an ark. (faith is seen and confirmed)

Paul writes to Titus:
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men..."
If faith is inserted because of grace then we will come up with empty doctrines like universal salvation.

But Paul continued...
"..teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works."

That's quite a list! To have faith, then, men must be doers of thee word: to combine works commensurate with the word of God that was heard.

I hope I stayed on topic sufficiently. :)

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Good thoughts.

The above, however is very important. Had Noah NOT obeyed God and NOT built the Ark, would he still have been saved through faith? Or would his faith been found lacking? :)

“The above, however is very important. Had Noah NOT obeyed God and NOT built the Ark, would he still have been saved through faith? “

this is James point “ faith without works is dead being alone “

had Noah responded to God and said “ I believe you lord but I don’t believe what your telling me will save me I don’t need to do anything I have faith “ then it’s not actually faith it’s disbelieving God we prove it because we won’t do what he said will save us

noah had to hear what God said to him in order to be saved and because he believed what God said to him he did obey because he believes it was going to save him and his family

see faith has to originate from what God said will happen when he warned Noah about the flood which there was no proof for yet Noah believed him because he believed in God faith is created by what God told Noah and Noah’s belief

god said to Noah in order to spare noah and his family he said just the truth “ I’m going to destroy the people of earth but build this ark in explaining to you and you and yours will be saved and I’ll renew a covenant with you “

To believe that means you will do it because you believe his word “ if I build the ark well be saved “

to answer your question Noah would have drown with the world of he hadn’t believed Gods warning and instructions to him him doing the work was faith he believed it was his salvation only because God told him

noah wanted to live and believed what God said to him

the simplest place to see it in Christianity is here

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Then we say “ I have faith I don’t need to get baptized I’m saved “ but it’s actually because we don’t believe what zgod said about salvstion so we don’t bother doing any of it

at he new age doctrines are destroying peoples faith and re branding it as an excuse to ignore what God said is going to happen and how to be saved from it

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:7‬ ‭KJV‬‬

The righteousness of faith is what Paul talks about in his epistles

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Good thoughts.

“Obedience to "ones" CALLING is an important part of all of this IMO.”

Indeed To do what God said will bless and save us is faith

This is james point here also if we say I believe I believe and won’t ever do any of what we claim to believe we are only deceiving ourselves importantly our doctrine is the New Testament word not the ot word

“Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, ( repent ) and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. ( believe the gospel )

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.”
‭‭James‬ ‭1:21-22‬ ‭KJV‬‬

yes sister I totally understand what your saying and agree

Do you know why a lot of Christian’s don’t believe we need to repent and obey the gospel ?

It’s not because they aren’t Gods or because they don’t believe Jesus lives and died fornthier sins and rose up

but it’s only because they haven’t heard the truth and let it sink in but instead they hear everyone’s opinions about salvstion but not Jesus word about it

So many pastors and teachers try to re invent salvstion rether than sharing the gospel as it is

If we do this part and just trust in this part

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭

See Jesus isnt saying here “ only hear me and don’t do anything “ he’s showing us the beginning point of faith

just like God told Noah about the flood and how to be saved when Noah heard the truth he could then act and be saved , it’s important that we make sure Jesus said things other people say that he said is the point

ashen w Christian isn’t understanding about doing the word and not only hearing things like this is what. BRings them to repentance

“And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:46‬ ‭KJV‬‬

zany believer that hears this should be asking themselves this question “ if I claim Jesus is my lord and savior , why do I think I don’t need to treat him like my lord and savior and do what my lord is teaching me and promising will bless me ?

awe can only know the true gospel when we go hear what Jesus preached and that’s him telling us how to be saved there’s a lot we will learn to do through time and perseverance but it’s our trust and faith in him believing his words to us that creates faith that saved and leads us to actions and salvstion

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Noah was saved by grace.
No one knew about God's plan to destroy the earth with a flood. Because God intended to continue His plan of redemption, He sought out Noah to accomplish His intentions. He went to Noah and conveyed His plan. Noah believed God. The evidence that He believed is that he obeyed.
What we believe, we do. Regardless of what we say, unless we act upon it, we don't actually believe it. It's the same thing James is saying when he says faith without works is dead.
Salvation always begins with the grace of God. It always involves a word from God which produces hearing, and hearing leads to faith. Wonder where I've heard that before.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
“And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

There’s no question Noah is saved by Gods grace from a coming end to all mankind but that’s not the full story it’s just a fact God

So Noah is saved by grace truly and without controversy but it is through the process of faith this part is essential to Noah’s salvation by grace but through faith

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, ( he told him bout the flood coming and bout the ark)

by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”

the ark was built by faith not Noah’s design or works but he believed what God said was true and did it knowing it would save his family and self . this is James point ( faith without works is dead being alone ) of Noah said “ I believe you God but I don’t really need to be worried bout the flood or build the ark you said to build I’m already saved then would Noah have had the same result claiming he had faith but refusing to believe what God said would save his family ?

So then this being true

“the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

And then Through faith when he hears what God said was coming and how to be saved

“And God said unto Noah, ( after he found grace ) The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make thee an ark of gopher wood ( he tells Noah the worlds ending in a flood and how to build the ark )

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee.

Noah was saved because God was gracious to him and told him how to be saved and save his family and enter into a new covenant where he inherited the earth with his children see genesis chapter nine for the day it was made with them just like before with Adam and Eve

So by or because of Gods grace , Noah was given faith when God told him about the flood and how to build the ark and be saved

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”

Noah was given Gods grace and saved because of that , he had no place to boast that he saved himself he could just say I believed in God and was saved he spared me by his grace in telling me about the coming flood and teaching me how to build the ark and be saved and promising me a new covenant and great inheritance

The gospel is God giving us grace and telling us the truth about the end of all things and how to be saved from that end and blessed with an inheritance in his eternal Kingdom

“Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”

Was Noah saved like you and I? Was Noah washed in the blood of the Lamb? Was Noah made part of the body of Christ? Was Noah made a new creature in Christ? Was Noah sealed with the Holy Spirit? Was Noah absent from the body and present with the Lord?

John146

Jan 13, 2016

So then this being true

Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord because Noah's generations were kept perfect. His lineage, the lineage of Genesis 3:15, had not been corrupted by the sons of God.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Noah was saved by grace.
No one knew about God's plan to destroy the earth with a flood. Because God intended to continue His plan of redemption, He sought out Noah to accomplish His intentions. He went to Noah and conveyed His plan. Noah believed God. The evidence that He believed is that he obeyed.
What we believe, we do. Regardless of what we say, unless we act upon it, we don't actually believe it. It's the same thing James is saying when he says faith without works is dead.
Salvation always begins with the grace of God. It always involves a word from God which produces hearing, and hearing leads to faith. Wonder where I've that before.
amen brother

“Noah was saved by grace.
No one knew about God's plan to destroy the earth with a flood. “

until God told him and Noah believed and we Christian’s are saved by grace also no one knew Gods plan of redemption in clarity until Jesus told us about it in the gospel and then said “ go tell every creature and whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved “

Non-one onew this until God said it but also had God told other person the person might not have believed God like Noah did it was this event God telling Noah what was coming and how to be saved that saved Noah the world he did was just faith he had heard and believed God and knew because he believed “ all injabe to do is what God said and we’ll be saved and this didn’t create pride and self righteousness in Noah it was a gift of Gods grace that he saved him and told him the truth that’s how we’re saved also but the gospel is our word from God

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
‭‭John‬ ‭1:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Until a person hears the word they can’t believe it we’re all condemned like in Noah’s day the end is coming God has made an ark fornus to enter into through the door

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”

it’s truly a matter of who will hear the lord and believe upon him to salvation the rest is Gods work in us through the process of faith

May 10, 2023
I love animals
🐶🐱🐰🐨🐷🐮🦁🐒🦆🦅🐺🐗🐴🦓🦍

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Was Noah saved like you and I? Was Noah washed in the blood of the Lamb? Was Noah made part of the body of Christ? Was Noah made a new creature in Christ? Was Noah sealed with the Holy Spirit? Was Noah absent from the body and present with the Lord?
“Was Noah saved like you and I?”

sure boah was saved because God have him grace when all mankind was condemned And then he believed what God said and didn’t try to ignore it and still be saved he had faith he knew better than to reject Hods word telling him what was going to save him pretty basic

If God tells a believer something they hear it and believe it they don’t go in a circle and avoid it and tell people other things

I imagine Noah could have told God “I believe you God I have incredible faith but I’m not going to do anything you said will save me I have faith already and I’m saved already “

But then the New Testament wouldnt be using Noah’s experience as an example of faith for new testement believers like this

“By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”

instead noah would be a warning about unfaithful people who won’t believe what God said will save then and act upon it because they actually do believe the lord isn’t lying to them about eternal salvation

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Noah was saved by grace through faith same as we are he was facing a flood to come we are facing worse

John146

Jan 13, 2016
“Was Noah saved like you and I?”

sure boah was saved because God have him grace when all mankind was condemned And then he believed what God said and didn’t try to ignore it and still be saved he had faith he knew better than to reject Hods word telling him what was going to save him pretty basic

If God tells a believer something they hear it and believe it they don’t go in a circle and avoid it and tell people other things

I imagine Noah could have told God “I believe you God I have incredible faith but I’m not going to do anything you said will save me I have faith already and I’m saved already “

But then the New Testament wouldnt be using Noah’s experience as an example of faith for new testement believers like this

“By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.”

instead noah would be a warning about unfaithful people who won’t believe what God said will save then and act upon it because they actually do believe the lord isn’t lying to them about eternal salvation

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Noah was saved by grace through faith same as we are he was facing a flood to come we are facing worse
Is this preaching another gospel unto salvation? Isn’t the gospel how Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013

So then this being true

I’ve considered that Jesus is our Ark.

We are saved by Him, and He alone keeps us saved.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord because Noah's generations were kept perfect. His lineage, the lineage of Genesis 3:15, had not been corrupted by the sons of God.
Exactly right.

Building the Ark didn’t save Noah. God did.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I liked this.

You wrote

Wouldn't it be more accurate to write "Noah was given grace, so God told him..." Certainly faith comes by hearing but it is not made compulsory because of it: one may hear God and not believe. Then, for Noah to claim to have faith there is, of necessity, the appearance of work commensurate with the word that was given.

God, "Build and ark."
Noah, "Okay!" (no appearance of faith yet)
Noah then builds an ark. (faith is seen and confirmed)

Paul writes to Titus:
"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men..."
If faith is inserted because of grace then we will come up with empty doctrines like universal salvation.

But Paul continued...
"..teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works."

That's quite a list! To have faith, then, men must be doers of thee word: to combine works commensurate with the word of God that was heard.

I hope I stayed on topic sufficiently. :)
“Wouldn't it be more accurate to write "Noah was given grace, so God told him...”

I don’t know brother lol It was just a thought train running I’m not organized

any point in saying that is to make the point without hearing something you can’t possibly believe that thing so then when God speaks something of faith to us it’s him giving us a gift of faith

Do you know what I am trying to say ?

this is God offering a gift of faith to anyone that hears it

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

but he that believeth not shall be damned.”

We could never receive that word of faith unless God said it and sent it to all creatures of the earth it’s God offering a gift of faith it didn’t come from the believer it was given to the believer o heard the gospel

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭2:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

I think that’s why I worded it like I did

forst God decides mans wockedness is just not going to continue so he decides to destroy them all

But then he looks upon Noah with grace

the cause of Noah’s salvetion os that God have his grace first and foremost he’s saved by grace or because of grace

but then he is given a true word to believe ( faith ) but he can’t see the proof of it yet he has to hear it and believe it even though he doesn’t see the flood he believed what God told him

this is what I mean by God have faith to Noah because of grace which came first the process of God giving us anything is always e same he just as it tonus and then we can believe or reject it and that means we’ll receive or reject the faith it holds

gods word in Christ ( not through Moses ) but through Jesus is the source of faith it goes from God into our hearts and minds and has an effecruAl power to change our mind and heart

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:12‬ ‭KJV‬‬

To have faith we have to hear Gods word that holds faith it’s like a gift we receive from only one source Jesus

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Exactly right.

Building the Ark didn’t save Noah. God did.
a yeah God told him the worlds going to end in a flood then taught him exactly how to be saved noah did what God said would save him and was saved

God saved Noah by telling him a really hard truth and informing him of how he would be saved noah believes what he said and was saved

Had Noah said I believe and not done what god told him he would have had no boat …

Gods not magic he’s a truth teller and the truth saves people who hear and believe it like this

Jesus os trying to save sinners so he tells the truth to them and says believe and be saved

“I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭13:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

to hear and believe this is going to save a sinner but it’s calling then to actuon to change because they are following a deadly path Jesus is trying to save them but he will not force anyone it’s an offer and invite to believe the things he taught us to stop doing nd start doing

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
amen brother

“Noah was saved by grace.
No one knew about God's plan to destroy the earth with a flood. “

until God told him and Noah believed and we Christian’s are saved by grace also no one knew Gods plan
Is this preaching another gospel unto salvation? Isn’t the gospel how Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day?
Christ is prefigured in the ark.
It's hard to know exactly what OT saints understood concerning salvation. The shedding of blood and the covering supplied by God is emphasized with Adam and Eve. Grace is highlighted with Noah. Faith is the focus with Abraham. But all are a part of salvation. The culmination of these is found in Christ. So undoubtedly their understanding was less than ours. But salvation hasn't changed...merely God's revelation of it throughout history.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Christ is prefigured in the ark.
It's hard to know exactly what OT saints understood concerning salvation. The shedding of blood and the covering supplied by God is emphasized with Adam and Eve. Grace is highlighted with Noah. Faith is the focus with Abraham. But all are a part of salvation. The culmination of these is found in Christ. So undoubtedly their understanding was less than ours. But salvation hasn't changed...merely God's revelation of it throughout history.
Amen

“And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

When the law came it was a copy of the real thing a pattern of the heavenly which later came to earth

the animal blood wasn’t first the determination of Christs blood was beforehand then the copy and prophetic word and later the fulfillment

men like Enoch and Noah were actually Christian’s without knowing it because it hadn’t been fully revealed only bits and pieces prophetically

“By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭11:5‬ ‭KJV‬‬