None is righteous, no, not one

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
None is righteous, no, not one;
no one understands no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless no one does good, not even one.”

I have people keep telling me “You’re a good man, you’re a good father, a good friend, a good worker” I have an uneasiness when I hear this.

As a believer, should someone look at themselves and make the claim they are good? If they do, by what standard are they proclaiming this? Are any good whom have been redeemed?

This is just something that I have thought about for awhile. And the more I look at the Holiness of God and His Christ, the answer I come to is “No, I am not good”

The most honest confession of a man that I have read when it comes to his true nature is from Paul:

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that pin me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
no one understands no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless no one does good, not even one.”

I have people keep telling me “You’re a good man, you’re a good father, a good friend, a good worker” I have an uneasiness when I hear this.

As a believer, should someone look at themselves and make the claim they are good? If they do, by what standard are they proclaiming this? Are any good whom have been redeemed?

This is just something that I have thought about for awhile. And the more I look at the Holiness of God and His Christ, the answer I come to is “No, I am not good”

The most honest confession of a man that I have read when it comes to his true nature is from Paul:

For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that pin me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.
Welcome back. Hope everything is better on the home front.

This may be true but it is equally true to say we are seen as righteous in Christ. To mankind, they may be able to see our carnal side even with us in Christ. But to God, he only sees His Son as the perfect sinless mediator for us. He sees us through the Son. So in a very real sense, we are righteous just not in our works but our faith.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This passage is often used to show the failures of man, but to do so without also sharing the rest of the Chapter, and what Paul said about all of this.

Basically, the verses 10 through 18 are speaking of people under the Law, and that is as it should be. However the rest of the Chapter is where Paul reveals his TRUE MESSAGE to the Church in my opinion. And it is these verses we should spend our time in study of and understanding of and acceptance of.

One of the greatest mistakes believers make (IMO) is that they do not know how to LIVE FORGIVEN.

The last verses of this Chapter is where Paul reveals the NEW LAW of the NEW COVENANT. That being the Law of Faith!

19) Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26) To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

27) Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
29) Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
30) Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

31) Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Basically, the verses 10 through 18 are speaking of people under the Law, and that is as it should be. However the rest of the Chapter is where Paul reveals his TRUE MESSAGE to the Church in my opinion. And it is these verses we should spend our time in study of and understanding of and acceptance of.

One of the greatest mistakes believers make (IMO) is that they do not know how to LIVE FORGIVEN.

The last verses of this Chapter is where Paul reveals the NEW LAW of the NEW COVENANT. That being the Law of Faith!

In Romans 7 verses 9 and 10 Paul speaks of these verses applying to himself, Paul uses "I" to explain.

The way to live forgiven is to live as a person who Christ has made righteous. Paul explains how this works as he explains he wants to live righteously even though he is prevented from always doing that because he is human.

Faith is not new, it was spoken of in the old testament. Having sins forgiven is not new, that was what the sacrificial system was about, the system that Christ fulfilled.

Being under the law has nothing to do with obeying or disobeying law. If you are under grace, then you put yourself in Christ's hands to be forgiven your sins. If you are under law, then you do not have Christ, you rely completely on your behavior.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Not quiet sure where I read it , think it maybe in Proverbs , but it is ok to accept complements from strangers or those who know us , but not ok to be complementing ourselves...
When people complement us , could it be because they see Christ in us? just a thought...
...xox...

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019

I agree with you,

And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified. Psa.143:2

Its a good opportunity to talk about how Jesus is working in our lives.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Oh get off the gas man. They aren't calling you righteous, or holy, they are speaking in earthly terms.
Jesus spoke of the good samaritan, and the good Shepherd and such. When Jesus told the man why do you call me good only God is good. He wasn't saying that he isn't good, he was saying that he is God.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
Jesus is also the good shepherd and good samaritan :)

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018

There are a bunch of righteous folks mentioned in the Bible though.

Read the context from which Romans 3 quotes.

Gen_7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
Psa_32:11 Be glad in the LORD, and rejoice, ye righteous: and shout for joy, all ye that are upright in heart.
Psa_33:1 Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
Psa_34:15 The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.
Pro_25:26 A righteous man falling down before the wicked is as a troubled fountain, and a corrupt spring.
Pro_28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
Isa_3:10 Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.
Luk_1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.
1Pe_4:18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
2Pe_2:8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

Basically its everywhere in the Bible. So its nothing to feel bad about if someone calls you a righteous man. Its biblical. Saints, righteous, thats what God's people are called in the Bible.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Oh get off the gas man. They aren't calling you righteous, or holy, they are speaking in earthly terms.
Jesus spoke of the good samaritan, and the good Shepherd and such. When Jesus told the man why do you call me good only God is good. He wasn't saying that he isn't good, he was saying that he is God.
Exactly. the good samaritan in the story certainly wasnt God. Theres a way of speaking of things. We do it all the time, but in the Bible we forget it exists.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
God is the good samaritan, because when he returns, he will repay everyone. His instruction to "go and do likewise" is an example of,

Be ye followers ofme, even as I also am of Christ. 1Cor.11:1

B

Blackpowderduelist

God is the good samaritan, because when he returns, he will repay everyone. His instruction to "go and do likewise" is an example of,

Be ye followers ofme, even as I also am of Christ. 1Cor.11:1
You are reading too much into the parable.
The point of the parable was to establish who the neighbor is. The Samaritan in the story was the neighbor. God ain't ya neighbor.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
You are reading too much into the parable.
The point of the parable was to establish who the neighbor is. The Samaritan in the story was the neighbor. God ain't ya neighbor.
I see it as God appeared as a neighbor, helping those he was a stranger to. After that, we emulate our Lord so that people may see our obedience and glorify him.

B

Blackpowderduelist

I see it as God appeared as a neighbor, helping those he was a stranger to. After that, we emulate our Lord so that people may see our obedience and glorify him.
You can see it how ever ya want.
I will stick to what the text says.

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
The Bible says born again believers are righteous, holy, and perfect.

Why?

Because we have the righteousness of Christ imputed to us.

That's why we are declared sinless, because HE is!

The flesh is impure, but it will pass away. We have a new nature - Christ's.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
You can see it how ever ya want.
I will stick to what the text says.
You don't have to believe that Jesus loved his neighbor as himself. Most people don't believe God humbled himself. What a surprise that will be to them.

P

Papou

This is a fact of life that there are good people and that there are bad people ! You wouldn't say to bad people that they are good person, good father, good friend or good worker ... I do not need Paul to know who is good and who is bad...

B

Blackpowderduelist

You don't have to believe that Jesus loved his neighbor as himself. Most people don't believe God humbled himself. What a surprise that will be to them.
I didn't say that at all. I said that's not what that parable is about.

Sep 3, 2016
This applies to the whole human race, with the only solution being Christ and what He did at the Cross.

Journeyman

Jan 10, 2019
I didn't say that at all. I said that's not what that parable is about.
Ya said God isn't my neighbor, but he's the best neighbor I ever had. And yes it is what the parable's about, because the samaritans example is the example Jesus himself lived during him ministry, unlike the religious leaders.