Nonsmoking, please!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

KBond

Jun 5, 2013
At the age of twenty-two, I became a Christian. In an attempt to win God’s favor, I tried to adopt my perception of a Christian lifestyle. Part of this endeavor included laying down my cigarette smoking habit. I prayed for the Lord’s help, and He graciously helped me overcome the initial physical addiction. Still, I was regularly tempted by cigarettes. I gave into the temptation to smoke after six weeks, and the addiction grabbed hold of me again.

Even though I failed, the Lord continued to show me His favor. The longer I walked with Christ, the more I gained His inner peace. My thought patterns became more positive and hopeful. God demonstrated His love and trustworthiness time after time. My passion to quit smoking grew, but my ability to stop the addiction decreased with each passing year.

Finally at the age of thirty-six, I tried a prescription medicine for smoking cessation. After three weeks, I felt as incapable of breaking the addiction as ever. The only difference I did notice were the medicine’s side effects. One such side effect was the onset of severe anxiety attacks. During a panic episode, my heart would beat rapidly along with the horrifying sensation I could not breathe! After one unusually long panic attack, I felt I could no longer endure it and begged the Lord to make it stop.

The Lord spoke to my heart, “I will do this for you if you stop smoking.” My heart must have responded with a “yes” because my panic attack stopped instantly and completely. Since then, I have not lifted a single cigarette to my lips. Although getting through the rest of the day without a cigarette was uncomfortable, I made it. The following day, something had drastically changed. It was inexplicable how the compulsion to smoke was just gone. I was completely healed of the tobacco addiction.

When I read the parable of the scattered seed, I am reminded of my struggle with addiction. My desire to stop smoking sprang up quickly but dissipated after a short time because my relationship with Christ had no root. Once I had walked with Christ for a number of years, our relationship had grown. I learned God can be trusted with my worries. His peace made my heart like good soil, so when his healing seed was scattered again it produced a vigorous plant. I am so thankful God never gave up on me.

I am also thankful you took the time to read my testimony. I like to write. If you like to read, connect with me by visiting my website.

M

Marian29

At the age of twenty-two, I became a Christian. In an attempt to win God’s favor, I tried to adopt my perception of a Christian lifestyle. Part of this endeavor included laying down my cigarette smoking habit. I prayed for the Lord’s help, and He graciously helped me overcome the initial physical addiction. Still, I was regularly tempted by cigarettes. I gave into the temptation to smoke after six weeks, and the addiction grabbed hold of me again.

Even though I failed, the Lord continued to show me His favor. The longer I walked with Christ, the more I gained His inner peace. My thought patterns became more positive and hopeful. God demonstrated His love and trustworthiness time after time. My passion to quit smoking grew, but my ability to stop the addiction decreased with each passing year.

Finally at the age of thirty-six, I tried a prescription medicine for smoking cessation. After three weeks, I felt as incapable of breaking the addiction as ever. The only difference I did notice were the medicine’s side effects. One such side effect was the onset of severe anxiety attacks. During a panic episode, my heart would beat rapidly along with the horrifying sensation I could not breathe! After one unusually long panic attack, I felt I could no longer endure it and begged the Lord to make it stop.

The Lord spoke to my heart, “I will do this for you if you stop smoking.” My heart must have responded with a “yes” because my panic attack stopped instantly and completely. Since then, I have not lifted a single cigarette to my lips. Although getting through the rest of the day without a cigarette was uncomfortable, I made it. The following day, something had drastically changed. It was inexplicable how the compulsion to smoke was just gone. I was completely healed of the tobacco addiction.

When I read the parable of the scattered seed, I am reminded of my struggle with addiction. My desire to stop smoking sprang up quickly but dissipated after a short time because my relationship with Christ had no root. Once I had walked with Christ for a number of years, our relationship had grown. I learned God can be trusted with my worries. His peace made my heart like good soil, so when his healing seed was scattered again it produced a vigorous plant. I am so thankful God never gave up on me.

I am also thankful you took the time to read my testimony. I like to write. If you like to read, connect with me by visiting my website.
Glory to God! :) How wonderful is the Lord's work.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
LOL, we try and try on our own will and fail, but His power is unbelievable isn't it? I had the same type thing with suicidal thoughts. I just wanted to die so bad I couldn't go 5 minutes without visualizing doing it. Once I knew I couldn't do anything about it and submitted, He filled me and overnight they were gone. His power is undeniable. Glory to His name sister, and thanks for sharing.

M

MadParrotWoman

Love it! Praise the Lord!!!

KBond

Jun 5, 2013
LOL, we try and try on our own will and fail, but His power is unbelievable isn't it? I had the same type thing with suicidal thoughts. I just wanted to die so bad I couldn't go 5 minutes without visualizing doing it. Once I knew I couldn't do anything about it and submitted, He filled me and overnight they were gone. His power is undeniable. Glory to His name sister, and thanks for sharing.
We are blessed to still have you here with us after such tormenting thoughts. Thanks for sharing that wonderful testimony of God's deliverance! *high five*

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
Yes - like you, I had prayed for years for God to take my desire for cigarettes away and He didn't. i had heard others testify that "poof" their desire was gone. Not mine.
One day the Lord told me that He chose not to do that for me because He wanted me to see that I could do it with His power alive in me. I could say NO and even choose to suffer for it. I was miserable for about a week (certainly didn't die though) and then it went away.

I learned what Jesus meant when he said "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you."

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Beautiful testimony! God is so good.