Norton 360 Anyone have experience with this AntiV program? They have all sorts of options including a VPN.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
I'm thinking the free AV programs aren't that good. Any advice or better options for an AntiV program welcome.

Thanks. :)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @soggykitten, do you use Windows 10? If so, Windows Defender ( which is included was part of that OS), is pretty good, except with the very newest infections.

We use McAfee Corporate software at my office, but we are directly targeted by hackers because of the nature and the size of the business. For home and small business use however (when someone is not being targeted directly) I think Windows Defender is an excellent choice, for price (of course, it's free :)), and because it has no footprint to speak of (IOW, it does not rob your computer of its resources like the bigger programs do, McAfee, Norton, etc.).

You might Google "best antivirus programs" and "best free antivirus programs" and see some comparisons for youself. Interestingly, some a couple of the free programs were as good or better than ones that you pay for (or they were a year or so ago, the last time I looked).

~Deut

jb

Feb 27, 2010
I'm thinking the free AV programs aren't that good. Any advice or better options for an AntiV program welcome.

Thanks. :)
If you are just an ordinary Home user, the free versions (along with Defender as Deut. suggests) would be fine, it really boils down to the quality of the virus definitions.

I've been using the free version of Avast for years without any infections getting through. Along with Avast, the free versions of AVG and Kaspersky are decent.

Also, security on a comp/tab/phone is mostly good common sense, like not clicking on links in emails from unknown sources.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
If you are just an ordinary Home user, the free versions (along with Defender as Deut. suggests) would be fine, it really boils down to the quality of the virus definitions.

I've been using the free version of Avast for years without any infections getting through. Along with Avast, the free versions of AVG and Kaspersky are decent.

Also, security on a comp/tab/phone is mostly good common sense, like not clicking on links in emails from unknown sources.
Actually Avast and AVG are owned by the same company. And both are considered among the bottom tier of free Anti-virus among the bigger names. At least as of a year ago when I checked.
I've had each, and a few years ago AVG was good, then it started giving me trouble, so I switched to Avast (not knowing they were both under the same company) and it worked fine for a while. But it began giving me trouble. That's when I researched and found many complaints about those two products.
But that's computers for you, it works flawlessly on one and nearly breaks another.

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
i use norton, and am satisfied. 100 bucks a year.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020

I'm not all that computer savvy so I'll ask if those would conflict with one another if they were on the same computer? For instance Defender with Malwarebytes. Or Defender backed up, if there is such a thing for av's, by AVG or Kaspersky.

Actually Avast and AVG are owned by the same company. And both are considered among the bottom tier of free Anti-virus among the bigger names. At least as of a year ago when I checked.
I've had each, and a few years ago AVG was good, then it started giving me trouble, so I switched to Avast (not knowing they were both under the same company) and it worked fine for a while. But it began giving me trouble. That's when I researched and found many complaints about those two products.
But that's computers for you, it works flawlessly on one and nearly breaks another.
What have you found that works now if anything?

i use norton, and am satisfied. 100 bucks a year.
Thank you. :)

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
Norton wont even allow me on malicious sites. If I click on one by accident.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
And both are considered among the bottom tier of free Anti-virus among the bigger names.
I switched to Avast (not knowing they were both under the same company) and it worked fine for a while. But it began giving me trouble...
As regards which is best and which is worst, it really does depend on the review you read, quite a few of the testers at the time of the test receive incentives from an antivirus software comp. to review there product in a very favourable light.

As regards you having trouble with Avast (and AVG), I have used Avast for many years and not had any real issues with it, I would suggest selecting a "manual" install of any AV and select only the items you need and not everything, and take time setting it up (in the settings).

Malwarebytes (and Superantispyware, free version) shouldn't conflict with AV programs.

As regards paying $100 Norton security, I just find that a ridiculous waste of money!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
As regards which is best and which is worst, it really does depend on the review you read, quite a few of the testers at the time of the test receive incentives from an antivirus software comp. to review there product in a very favourable light.

As regards you having trouble with Avast (and AVG), I have used Avast for many years and not had any real issues with it, I would suggest selecting a "manual" install of any AV and select only the items you need and not everything, and take time setting it up (in the settings).

Malwarebytes (and Superantispyware, free version) shouldn't conflict with AV programs.

As regards paying $100 Norton security, I just find that a ridiculous waste of money!
Hence my going to multiple sites And reading the comments of users that essentially review the reviews. I did my research. Despite your assumptions otherwise. By the way it was Users that I read speaking against them both, not web site owners getting incentives.

I know you didn't. I read your post where you recommended them. And I also did not suggest you should not use them. Quite the opposite, I said "that's technology for you. It doesn't work on one and works flawlessly on the other". Translation, if it's working for you, great, keep using it, but it doesn't work well for everyone.
These programs both have a user end issues and it's the responsibility of informed people to make that known. You recommended them, I made it known they have a history of being problematic. Which people Should be made aware of.

I haven't installed any anti-virus, and I've had no problems. In fact less problems than when I had them.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I'm not all that computer savvy so I'll ask if those would conflict with one another if they were on the same computer? For instance Defender with Malwarebytes. Or Defender backed up, if there is such a thing for av's, by AVG or Kaspersky.

What have you found that works now if anything?

Thank you. :)
I've simply not installed anything. I'm guessing the Windows version is running. I don't know, I never checked.
Part of what makes it important is your type of internet usage. If you're someone that tends to stick mostly to the same sites and doesn't go much out of that, then that's low risk and a high end paid AV seems pointless.

Personally I've never in my life paid for any AV. I always had none or free ones. And that's in 20+ years of using computers.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
I've learned there is an Onion router? That masks ones activity on the net and is a safeguard that supports protection behind an AV. Advice on this anyone?
Thanks everyone for your kind input.

RemnantRD

Jun 7, 2020
Working with computers for a living, I'll say that we've had the most issue with Norton, McAfee, AVG, and Avast. Norton and McAfee are serious resource hogs, and we've also had issues with AVG and Avast messing with the OS to a degree that sometimes requires an OS refresh. Most importantly, do not allow your AV to expire and if it does, uninstall it. Windows Defender doesn't like expired AV solutions on windows 10 and it can cause additional issues.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Working with computers for a living, I'll say that we've had the most issue with Norton, McAfee, AVG, and Avast. Norton and McAfee are serious resource hogs, and we've also had issues with AVG and Avast messing with the OS to a degree that sometimes requires an OS refresh. Most importantly, do not allow your AV to expire and if it does, uninstall it. Windows Defender doesn't like expired AV solutions on windows 10 and it can cause additional issues.
Thank you. I tried Norton 360 and yes I agree it is a serious resource hog. Also, if you see their commercials that speak of all the extras they have available with the 360 package the bad part is, they haven't devised a way to make them all work consistently. At least that was my experience.
I cancelled after two weeks of trying my patience.

With your vast experience what Anti-V would you recommend?
Also if there is one that has a program like Malwarebytes that would be helpful too.

Thank you again for your advice.

I even went the Onion router route for a day. I thought snails were slow. Sheesh.

RemnantRD

Jun 7, 2020
Are you looking for a free AV solution or paid AV solution?
What do you tend to do on your computer? Are you utilizing services that have confidential and financial data?
Malwarebytes is an Anti-malware program, but it lacks the antivirus component. It can be safely run alongside an antivirus program, but it's also important not to run 2 antivirus programs concurrently as it can cause additional problems as the programs see each other has having more access than they should... and they fight each other.

soggykitten

Jul 3, 2020
Are you looking for a free AV solution or paid AV solution?
What do you tend to do on your computer? Are you utilizing services that have confidential and financial data?
Malwarebytes is an Anti-malware program, but it lacks the antivirus component. It can be safely run alongside an antivirus program, but it's also important not to run 2 antivirus programs concurrently as it can cause additional problems as the programs see each other has having more access than they should... and they fight each other.
It's a home computer. I shop on-line and I do bank also but I never save my bank pw. If there is a very good free AV program I'm fine with that. A paid service isn't out of the question though.