"Not by works" - false!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
Belief in Jesus IS absolutely necessary for salvation.

However...

Hebrews 10:26
"Dear friends, if we deliberately continue sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins".

I have asked you this several times now:
Are you saying that Christians do not need to keep God's commandments?
This deliberately go on sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice that will cover these sins" verse has been taken out of context and misinterpreted for I don't know how long.
You need to read this short response addressing your misunderstanding, it mainly addresses the James verse that Im sure you also love to tout:
https://www.bible-truth.org/James2-24.html

Apr 21, 2020
and how many times have you read through the Bible??
Is somebody who has read through the Bible 10 times a 'better Christian' than somebody who has read through it 5 times.

Your question is irrelevant, and is designed to undermine my message.
Why would you try to do that to me?

May 22, 2020
Have you stopped sinning yet?
No, I have not.
If you wish to rely on other's interpretation of scripture to inform your own understanding, that's your choice.

But I put it to you that there is no Biblical justification for relying on somebody else's interpretation as representing the truth.
As an aside, Catholics do this with the pope.

My approach is to open myself up and allow God to speak to me directly by doing the hard work and going through the Bible for myself.
I wish to be guided by others. Then, like a good Berean see if the Bible can validate.

Prov 11:14 Without counsels do a people fall, And deliverance [is] in a multitude of counsellors.
The bible speaks of the gift of teaching given to some ... thus implying the usefulness of those teachers. For example, I don't speak Greek or Hebrew so I depend exclusively on others to do that for me.

Granted, one should study and be skeptical.

You are outnumbered in this debate. I give you props for standing by your beliefs.

May 19, 2020
See post #4 in this thread: I have already addressed this.

You are correct in implying that we are not saved through compliance with the law, but are you saying that Christians do not need to keep God's commandments?

Can you explain how we keep the Ten Commandments ?

Do you believe it is possible to keep the Ten Commandments ?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Is somebody who has read through the Bible 10 times a 'better Christian' than somebody who has read through it 5 times.

Your question is irrelevant, and is designed to undermine my message.
Why would you try to do that to me?
I am not trying to do anything to you, just asked a question.

do you care to answer the question?

E

EleventhHour

Romans 3:20 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight for by the law is the knowledge of sin."

Apr 21, 2020
No, I have not.

I wish to be guided by others. Then, like a good Berean see if the Bible can validate.

Prov 11:14 Without counsels do a people fall, And deliverance [is] in a multitude of counsellors.
The bible speaks of the gift of teaching given to some ... thus implying the usefulness of those teachers. For example, I don't speak Greek or Hebrew so I depend exclusively on others to do that for me.

Granted, one should study and be skeptical.

You are outnumbered in this debate. I give you props for standing by your beliefs.
I do not mind being outnumbered since the truth of the Bible is not determined by casting a vote.

I don't mind being guided by others.
I would however warn against relying on others to understand the Bible.

For instance, in trying to show me that my understanding of Hebrews is incorrect, you did not provide Biblical evidence, but the (actually inconclusive) opinions of others.
I would warn against such an approach.

Apr 21, 2020
I am not trying to do anything to you, just asked a question.

do you care to answer the question?
I'm afraid I don't care to answer the question, as I do not believe it to be relevant.

I believe your question is designed to undermine my message.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I do not mind being outnumbered since the truth of the Bible is not determined by casting a vote.

I don't mind being guided by others.
I would however warn against relying on others to understand the Bible.

For instance, in trying to show me that my understanding of Hebrews is incorrect, you did not provide Biblical evidence, but the (actually inconclusive) opinions of others.
I am not against you. I agree with some of the things you say.

May 19, 2020
Dburrage...are you able to,answer my question about the Ten Commandments?

Apr 21, 2020
I am not against you. I agree with some of the things you say.
None of us should be against eachother, nor do I believe that any of us are :)

I just believe that, along with believing in Christ, we should keep God's commandments.

For some reason some people seem to have been offended by me saying this, as if they think Christians cannot sin, or that Christians can behave as they please.

May 22, 2020
HOWEVER, Jesus repeatedly told people to stop sinning, and we are warned that if we deliberately/knowingly continue in sin following the acceptance of Jesus into our lives, Jesus' sacrifice will NOT cover these sins:
You have not clarified how you define 'we deliberately/knowingly continue in sin" means in regard to "Jesus' sacrifice will NOT cover these sins". Any particular sins, any number of times, must it be knowingly ???? Please quantify.

My belief: We are saved by the gift of faith. Regeneration causes me to desire to obey God. This obedience is imperfect as I am still in the flesh (have a sin nature). All Christians will show 'some evidence' of their obedience ("SOME EVIDENCE" I cannot define quantitatively).
Christians are justified to God by faith alone according to Paul. Christians are justified in men's eyes by obedience according to James.

May 19, 2020

I just believe that, along with believing in Christ, we should keep God's commandments.

For some reason some people seem to have been offended by me saying this, as if they think Christians cannot sin, or that Christians can behave as they please.
This is the third time i have asked you.....how do you keep the Ten Commandments every day?

oyster67

May 24, 2014

I agree that we must abide in the vine.

May 22, 2020
I was trying to show you that your understanding is questionable. I agree, I did not prove it. I can't prove you wrong as
You have not clarified how you define 'we deliberately/knowingly continue in sin" means in regard to "Jesus' sacrifice will NOT cover these sins". Any particular sins, any number of times, must it be knowingly ???? Please quantify.

So, I can't use scripture to disprove a ambiguous statement. With clarification, I may even agree with you.

Apr 21, 2020

My belief: We are saved by the gift of faith. Regeneration causes me to desire to obey God. This obedience is imperfect as I am still in the flesh (have a sin nature). All Christians will show 'some evidence' of their obedience ("SOME EVIDENCE" I cannot define quantitatively).
Christians are justified to God by faith alone according to Paul. Christians are justified in men's eyes by obedience according to James.
The purpose of this thread is to say that we must believe in Jesus Christ AND keep the Lord's commandments.

If you think that Christians can behave as they wish, then that represents your understanding of the Bible.
Is this what you think?

Are you saying that you no longer sin?