Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

benhur

Feb 8, 2018
Absolutely dcon, our lives are but a living sacrifice to God. We have assurance of our eternal salvation from the very beginning of our Christian life. Our Christian walk and practice is an on going sanctification (being set apart), and a life long pursuit of holy living.

A living Sacrifice: Romans12:1
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, .
holy and pleasing to God
--this is your true and proper worship."

Great avitar migo, God bless!
What does it mean to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God?

E

eternally-gratefull

What does it mean to be in Christ Jesus?
Think about the family of noah being in the ark.

God put them in, He sealed them in, and they where sealed in until they reached the other side.

I am in christ, God sealed me in, And I will be in until I am on the other side (heaven)

And it is the opposite of being in adam. In Adam all die, In christ all will be made alive.

it is called being born again, baptized into Christ (not water) where he is the head..

If I sit here long enough, I can find many other examples of what it means.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
What does it mean to offer our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God?
Romans 12:1,2
1)
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.

You said that correctly, "our bodies" it is not an individual offering but together as brother and sisters we offer our bodies "holy and pleasing to God."

A sacrifice is normally given to an altar for a deity. But a living sacrifice to God to me means to continuously offer our worship because of our love for our Heavenly Father.

"What does that mean? I believe it means to use our spiritual gifts together as we worship the Lord. As it says in the following verses of Romans 12:6-8.

Romans12:6-8
6)
We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;
7) if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;
8) if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
A misspelled word? Or simply not striving against the LORD who already has said his spirit will not strive with man.
<><.?.><>

SO lets hear what you mean by HIS SPIRIT will not strive with man?

? ? ? = △

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
What does it mean to be in Christ Jesus?
I am sure it means that we are LITERALLY IN the Spiritual Body of CHRIST, and HE is IN ME.

1 Corinthians 12:12-13 (GW)
12 For example, the body is one unit and yet has many parts. As all the parts form one body, so it is with Christ.
13 By one Spirit we were all baptized into one body. Whether we are Jewish or Greek, slave or free, God gave all of us one Spirit to drink.

1 Corinthians 2:13-16 (NIV)
13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.
14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:
16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Dec 12, 2013
Think about the family of noah being in the ark.

God put them in, He sealed them in, and they where sealed in until they reached the other side.

I am in christ, God sealed me in, And I will be in until I am on the other side (heaven)

And it is the opposite of being in adam. In Adam all die, In christ all will be made alive.

it is called being born again, baptized into Christ (not water) where he is the head..

If I sit here long enough, I can find many other examples of what it means.
AMEN>>>>>>>>>

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
If you have heard the voice of the shephard, that is good. So after you have believed the shephard, we are told to follow him.

What does it mean to follow him?
Exactly what it says. Believe and Follow. However, there is no such thing as losing our salvation each and every time we make a mistake. That is not sustained by scripture and in fact revokes the message of the cross.
I'm wondering if you are called JLB at a different site?
Christians know what it means to be saved. Losing it many times a day and having to recapture it through repentance is not Christianity. It is the antithesis of Christianity and I do not follow nor respect that. No Christian does.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
>>Truth talk

If you walk by faith and not by sight then couldn't one ask about your signature too?
One could ask about hypocrisy and personal attacks and harassment that are all sins that would revoke any wisdom garnered by scripture. Fear is not becoming a Christian. Nor is evil. But God does know his own.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
Please explain, Romans12:13 is scripture, the Gospel of Thomas signature has Gnostic Ideology.
How can you even make a comparison.
You would have gained a much needed Biblical education if you had clicked the link in my reply that simply answered, OK, to your attack.
Hatred for Gnostic teachings is unseemly.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
You would have gained a much needed Biblical education if you had clicked the link in my reply that simply answered, OK, to your attack.
Hatred for Gnostic teachings is unseemly.

Froggy, many here do not like clicking on links. That may be why TruthTalk didn't look at it. :)

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
Froggy, many here do not like clicking on links. That may be why TruthTalk didn't look at it. :)
I love your kitty picture. No, I would make the observation that learning what TT does not know was not the issue. They've taken a hate for me to a new level. When they attempt to insult the Gospel of Thomas most Christians know they're insulting the Dead Sea Scrolls. Which says quite a lot. As in, what was in my signature was actually in scripture in different wording. Therefore, it is not contrary to scripture. But taking a passionate hatred for one who carries a gnostic scripture signature since the day I joined here, long ago, to the level TT did, shows that what that signature said revealed what TT lacks. For that blessing, it was worth it.:)
You shall know them by their fruits.
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you." https://www.google.com/search?q=bible+jesus+within+you&oq=bible+jesus+within+you&ie=UTF-8

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
And who needs to learn about Gnosticism.............not me......the bible is all we need......
Then in all fairness anyone opposed to knowing what Gnosticism is are not credible when they speak against it. Because they are literally opining on a topic they know nothing about.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Exactly what it says. Believe and Follow. However, there is no such thing as losing our salvation each and every time we make a mistake. That is not sustained by scripture and in fact revokes the message of the cross.
I'm wondering if you are called JLB at a different site?
Christians know what it means to be saved. Losing it many times a day and having to recapture it through repentance is not Christianity. It is the antithesis of Christianity and I do not follow nor respect that. No Christian does.
JLB from Christanforums.net?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Then in all fairness anyone opposed to knowing what Gnosticism is are not credible when they speak against it. Because they are literally opining on a topic they know nothing about.
So are you a Gnostic?

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
<><.?.><>

Now that is Not a justification for WORKS RIGHTEOUSNESS, and it has NOTHING to do with SALVATION. One of his disciples had asked:
John 9:2 (NASB)
2 And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?"

That was the response that Jesus gave, because HE KNEW that His three years of ministry would pass by very quickly.

John 9:4 The Savior realized that He had about three years of public ministry before He would be crucified. Every moment of that time must be spent in working for God. Here was a man who had been blind from his birth. The Lord Jesus must perform a miracle of healing on him, even though it was the Sabbath. The time of His public ministry would soon be over, and He would no longer be here on earth. This is a solemn reminder to everyone who is a Christian that life's day is swiftly passing, and the night is coming when our service on earth will be forever over. Therefore, we should use the time that is given to us to serve the Lord acceptably.

Believer's Bible Commentary: A Thorough, Yet Easy-to-Read Bible Commentary That Turns Complicated Theology Into Practical Understanding.

It helps when you READ the Context, to determine what HE was talking about. Yes it can apply to us too, because we will want to be about the Father's business. But as I said IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SALVATION, is what our NEW NATURE want to DO, AFTER WE HAVE BEEN SAVED BY HIM.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
I love your kitty picture. No, I would make the observation that learning what TT does not know was not the issue. They've taken a hate for me to a new level. ( a bold face lie), When they attempt to insult the Gospel of Thomas most Christians know they're insulting the Dead Sea Scrolls. Which says quite a lot. As in, what was in my signature was actually in scripture in different wording. Therefore, it is not contrary to scripture. But taking a passionate hatred for one who carries a gnostic scripture signature since the day I joined here, long ago, to the level TT did, shows that what that signature said revealed what TT lacks. For that blessing, it was worth it.:)
You shall know them by their fruits.
"If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you. If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you." https://www.google.com/search?q=bible+jesus+within+you&oq=bible+jesus+within+you&ie=UTF-8
As blue_Ladybug said, I do not click at random "links" that I do not know its origin.

Anyone who give support to Gnostic Ideology is lacking in wisdom. Please don't play the victim here for it is Christians who are being exposed to your Gnostic Ideology, a heresy of the early Christian Church and today, and we were forewarned about this in the Book of 1st John. It is the dislike of heretical Ideologies that are the problem, not you.

Your criticism of me is just undeserved nonsense.

The Gospel of Thomas: Gnostic or not?
However, in line with many other scholars, it seems best to conclude that it at least contains some Gnostic-like ideas such as salvation by secret knowledge, the extreme asceticism or disdain for the bodily appetites, polytheism, the reference to the bridal chamber, the idea of a heavenly teaching Christ who may not necessarily be human, etc. Thomas also places little emphasis on the value of the Old Testament Scriptures. This was certainly in line with Gnostic thinking. Even if Thomas is not Gnostic, it appears to have vast similarities with “Gnosticism” as broadly defined.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
So are you a Gnostic?
No, I'm a Christian. I'm just not terrified of the dead sea scrolls.
I'm also someone that is aware of how the canon came to exist. Which means, I am not afraid to gain an education about the faith and Apologetics nor Christian Theology.