Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

joefizz

i agree with what you say about bill

he is a patient loving brother in Christ with a veeeeeeeery long fuse

i couldnt imagine why anyone would report him
Probably for just those reasons,he's "loving" and "patient",you "know" which individuals "despise" those qualities.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Any joy on you reporting my post?

I notice you did not respond to my post asking why you reported me.

I've not been banned yet, wanna try again?
Hi BillG, she claimed I called her a non-Christian also (a lie) and considered reporting me.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
During the past winter I was PM's this at a Bible forum I am member of .

I think this may be very helpful in carrying this discussion forward.

It is my hope at least. :)

For a Christian to lose their salvation God would have to:

*Erase the Mark (John 13- And verse 35.)

*Withdraw the Holy Spirit within them

* Cancel the Deposit (Ephesians 1:13-14 & 2 Corinthians 1:21-22)

*Break His promise (Acts 2:38-39 & http://www.openbible.info/topics/assurance_of_salvation)

*Revoke the Guarantee (James 1:17 & 2 Corinthians 1:22)

*Keep the Inheritance (Ephesians 1:11-14)

*Forego the praise (Hebrews 13:15)

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Do you think that 'quenching' means to put out the HS? Like you quench a fire, or you quench your thirst? I believe quenching does mean to put out. So if you quench the HS, you are putting the HS out of your life.

If one does not do the works that Jesus has created for them, they are quenching the HS and if they do that long enough, I believe the HS will no longer indwell with them and they will lose their salvation altogether.
SO YOU BELIEVE JESUS IS A LIAR?

John 14:16-17 (YLT)
16 and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you--to the age;
17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it doth not behold him, nor know him, and ye know him, because he doth remain with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:16-18 (NKJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--
17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

John 14:25-27 (HCSB)
25 “I have spoken these things to you while I remain with you.
26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit—the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.
27 “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.

Matthew 28:20 (HCSB)
20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

Hebrews 13:5 (CSBBible)
5 Keep your life free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for he himself has said, I will never leave you or abandon you.

AngelFrog

Feb 16, 2015
Do you think that 'quenching' means to put out the HS? Like you quench a fire, or you quench your thirst? I believe quenching does mean to put out. So if you quench the HS, you are putting the HS out of your life.

If one does not do the works that Jesus has created for them, they are quenching the HS and if they do that long enough, I believe the HS will no longer indwell with them and they will lose their salvation altogether.
To address that bold part.
Please show the scripture that supports your belief. Scripture that says that precisely please as the scriptures that are precise as to our indwelling and eternal security are in this thread.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
SO YOU BELIEVE JESUS IS A LIAR?

John 14:16-17 (YLT)
16 and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you--to the age;
17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it doth not behold him, nor know him, and ye know him, because he doth remain with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:16-18 (NKJV)
16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--
17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

John 14:25-27 (HCSB)
25 “I have spoken these things to you while I remain with you.
26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit—the Father will send Him in My name—will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you.
27 “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.

Matthew 28:20 (HCSB)
20 teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.

Hebrews 13:5 (CSBBible)
5 Keep your life free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for he himself has said, I will never leave you or abandon you.
Amen and thank you VCO,
SO YOU BELIEVE JESUS IS A LIAR? - "I will never leave you or abandon you." Hebrews13:5

VCO

Oct 14, 2013

Would you like to know what quenching the spirit really means?

1 Thessalonians 5:19 (NKJV)
19 Do not quench the Spirit.

5:19 The next four verses seem to deal with behavior in the assembly.

To quench the Spirit means to stifle His work in our midst, to limit and hinder Him. Sin quenches the Spirit. Traditions quench Him. Man-made rules and regulations in public worship quench Him. Disunity quenches Him. Someone has said, "Cold looks, contemptuous words, silence, studied disregard, go a long way to quench Him. So does unsympathetic criticism." Ryrie says that the Spirit is quenched whenever His ministry is stifled in an individual or in the church.

Believer's Bible Commentary: A Thorough, Yet Easy-to-Read Bible Commentary That Turns Complicated Theology Into Practical Understanding.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017

My salvation is built on solid ground not shifting sand, Jesus nor the Holy Spirit will ever leave us as an orphan. Where are your verses to support your false notions that we will lose our eternal salvation, you have none, just your say so thats all.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
The hair isn't THAT bad. The drapes are quite atrocious though!

Keep in mind that was in 1977, the barber just got back from training school on how to do that style. I was sick and tired of my hair being down to my shoulders, with an Indian head band. So I told him that, and asked for something new. He put me into the Back Room on a stool while he had curlers in my hear, so that NO ONE would make fun of me. The only this that I like that hair dew got for me, was a wife of 36 plus years. She passed away about 2.7 years ago. She said she really liked my hair, because it made me look like Gene Shalit, and she really liked him, on NBC TODAY Show.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Oh sheesh...your wife probably picked those drapes I laughed at. Sorry. :censored:

No, that was at Mom's house, she sowed those drapes. I was the IN STYLE back in the 70's. The good old days, were not as good as people remember.

A

Ariel82

Thus showing you don't believe people have eternal life upon being born again.

E

eternally-gratefull

Actually brother bill,correction,David sent Bath sheba's husband to the front of battle thereby killing him first then he "waited" after her time of mourning was over to wed her,though I know the "point" you are making.:D
He took her the night he saw her in tub bathing, i think thats what bill meant?

wanderer6059

Oct 27, 2013

quenching is rendered in most study as suppressing, not completely putting out. the other you mentioned is only possible with blasphemy of the HS, and that is questionable if it is even possible today.

works... are... not... your... own...

they are the byproduct of the HOLY SPIRIT in you....

wanderer6059

Oct 27, 2013
I just posted this in another... Abraham believed was Counted righteousness then did a work to show or prove his faith... Circumcisions.. You can't throw out works.. they prove your faith
except our circumcision is no longer of the flesh but of the spirit. the proof of our faith is in our heart. if our heart is inclined to God our spirit produces the fruit of works.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
quenching is rendered in most study as suppressing, not completely putting out. the other you mentioned is only possible with blasphemy of the HS, and that is questionable if it is even possible today.
Thus showing you don't believe people have eternal life upon being born again.
Hi Areil82, wanderer6059 has made a very good point, "quenching is rendered as suppressing." I have noticed lately that benher does not support his biblical ideas with scripture references. Could it be that he is more interested in promoting his false biblical ideas instead of finding the truth at any cost. "The free gift of God is eternal life", wow works are excluded for our assurance of eternal life really.

Romans6:22,23
22)
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
23) For the wages of sin is death, but the "gift of God" is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Say hello to the new member of our family Margaux.

Tried to post this the other day but it was too large.
My wife has just cropped the photo for me. 6FAB76DB-EEFD-4A16-92B1-9952C0CD01DB.jpeg

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Hi Areil82, wanderer6059 has made a very good point, "quenching is rendered as suppressing." I have noticed lately that benher does not support his biblical ideas with scripture references. Could it be that he is more interested in promoting his false biblical ideas instead of finding the truth at any cost. "The free gift of God is eternal life", wow works are excluded for our assurance of eternal life really.

Romans6:22,23
22)
But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life.
23) For the wages of sin is death, but the "gift of God" is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
How do you add multiple posts to a response?

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Say hello to the new member of our family Margaux.

Tried to post this the other day but it was too large.
My wife has just cropped the photo for me. View attachment 183236
Nice dog Bill, I bet she gets a lot of preference around the house, like yummy left overs. Margaux's got a lot of Scottish Terrier in her I'll bet....:)