Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
If you love Me, keep My commandments.
John 14:15

JPT
You want to add "keep my commandments" as a condition for our salvation. The Pharisee's did the same thing.

Our continued sanctification applies to this verse, you are trying to add rules and regulations to God's gift and that is wrong.

1John3:5
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. "And his commands are not burdensome."

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
I thought I asked you, but maybe I didn't.

What commandments are we meant to keep?
Hi BillG, good question. Passingthrough wants us to believe we have to crack out obey commandments like it is a condition of works to keep our eternal salvation. He does complicate God's gift of salvation, the "Good News"

To "love each other" is God's command...:)

John15:12
My command is this: "Love each other" as I have loved you.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
As PS seems to be another "works to retain salvation" adherent, I try to show the contradiction between what they claim for themselves and what the insist others do. The verse I quoted was in regard to the two natures we possess.

I simply wanted to show he couldn't have his cake and eat it too.
You got it wrong. You totally misunderstood me. Love is the motivation. If you love someone works will follow, you will do things for someone because you love them. I do not believe you can bribe your husband/wife into loving you because of your works, you love each other first and works follow out of love. Then you walk side by side together, and that is the Christians walk with Christ. It is about relationship.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
1. The five were without "the Holy Spirit" They were believers waiting for the Bridegroom.
2. were watching. Were sleeping.
3. were hangers-on. Foolish believers waiting for the Bridegroom.
4. not saved. Lazy.
Everything you say is wrong.
The red is yours and is totally wrong. The black is mine. You say: Observation - Interpretation - Application. A false interpretation = a false application, all of the time.
I say: Practise what you preach and stop pushing your false doctrine.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
It's not controversial.
Those verses I posted are in the Bible and written by John & Jude.

Eternal Security is also controversial but It doesn't stop you posting verses that you believe negate ES, or interpreting parables to the same.
Election/predestination/Calvanism, is very controversial.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
The red is yours and is totally wrong. The black is mine. You say: Observation - Interpretation - Application. A false interpretation = a false application, all of the time.
I say: Practise what you preach and stop pushing your false doctrine.
Prove it, or be keep your opinion to yourself. What a joke.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Election/predestination/Calvanism, is very controversial.
Only to those who disagree with a viewpoint:cool:

I suppose we could add more the list.
It's very sad indeed that we do not have a unified church

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Only to those who disagree with a viewpoint:cool:

I suppose we could add more the list.
It's very sad indeed that we do not have a unified church
Hi BillG, not to worry my friend in heaven we will have a unified Church.

PS is promoting a works gospel or you will "lose your eternal salvation." a counterfeit gospel.

Romans6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the "gift" of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You cannot work for a "gift" or it is no longer a gift.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Prove it, or be keep your opinion to yourself. What a joke.
See post# 66,019.
You cannot buy the Holy Spirit, neither can someone give you the Holy Spirit, so it had to be ordinary olive oil.

You said they were watching, but Jesus said he did not know them and they needed to watch, so they were NOT watching.

You said they were not saved, but those who believe in Jesus Christ are saved, and as a result, the five were actually WAITING for the Bridegroom who they obviously believed in.

Obviously salvation CAN be lost.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
See post# 66,019.
You cannot buy the Holy Spirit, neither can someone give you the Holy Spirit, so it had to be ordinary olive oil.

You said they were watching, but Jesus said he did not know them and they needed to watch, so they were NOT watching.

You said they were not saved, but those who believe in Jesus Christ are saved, and as a result, the five were actually WAITING for the Bridegroom who they obviously believed in.

That is why I continually tell you that your "bias" is so that you can "falsely claim" a verse to say what you want it to say; that is bad interpretation and leads to bad applications such as your; "you can lose your salvation."

When the bible is silent about an issue; like the 5 virgins without oil, then we should be silent; this is "Rules of interpretation 101." Do not try to make the bible say something that it is not, you are barking up the wrong tree.
Here is your critical mistake; "Obviously salvation CAN be lost." This is a lie from the devil.

A true born again believer cannot lose their, "Eternal Salvation" because the bible say's so, read your bible.
You need to "unlearn" this garbage theology whoever taught you in the first place, it is wrong.

John10:28
I give them eternal life, "and they shall never perish"; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

True Gospel Folks

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
See post# 66,019.

So if you cannot buy the Holy Spirit or someone give you the Holy Spirit then the oil is ordinary olive oil.

That is what my Bible study notes say as well.

So maybe the foolish were relying on the faith of others or just part of the church.
So if they only have ordinary olive oil is it possible that then never had the real Oil in the first place?

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
If it's our belief in God that really save us then it's in our power to save ourselves, since we choose to believe or not.
Hi EarthGuest, does this help and are you a Universalist, meaning that you believe all humankind will be saved eventually? We were chosen in Him before the creation of the world.
Ephesians1:4
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love."

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
If it's our belief in God that really save us then it's in our power to save ourselves, since we choose to believe or not.
Its in our power to save ourselves??

If that's the case then why did Jesus die?

As you say "God really saves based on belief then we save ourselves based on our power"

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Am in agreement that what Jesus spoke was addressing our heart, not our hands...works.
I believe He said those words with a smile...not stern.
When we realize His love...how magnificent it is to us personally...our heart responds to Him...in many ways. If He speaks then...He moves freely through our actions.

This about the oil was a revelation to me.. The best oil is of the olive that is plump and full. It drips oil at the slightest touch. Its not His desire to crush the olive.

Same scenario with the hammer and the rock.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Am in agreement that what Jesus spoke was addressing our heart, not our hands...works.
I believe He said those words with a smile...not stern.
When we realize His love...how magnificent it is to us personally...our heart responds to Him...in many ways. If He speaks then...He moves freely through our actions.

This about the oil was a revelation to me.. The best oil is of the olive that is plump and full. It drips oil at the slightest touch. Its not His desire to crush the olive.

Same scenario with the hammer and the rock.
Stone's precious lady.

Hello hello and hello.
I was thinking a couple of days ago that I hadn't seen you and prayed you would come back.

You are now 2 of 3.

Great to see you at see you sister