Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Seohce

Jul 15, 2016
These guys peddle the exact same rigmarole that Jesus speaks to....the plenteous in number that boast of their works as their right to enter all while claiming to know Jesus....This is the same false gospel peddled by more than a handful on this site.....Lord, Lord have we not done many wonderful works in your name....They claim to know him and they claim their works prove they know him and should have right to enter......too bad that is not the gospel message and or that which saves anyone!
CAN YOU PROVIDE SCRIPTURES THAT SAYS JESUS WAS “CURSED" ASIDE FROM PAUL’S? I DON’T MEAN THAT HE HIMSELF CALLED JESUS “CURSED" BUT ONLY THOSE WHO TEACH A GOSPEL OF ANOTHER KIND WHICH IS NO GOSPEL AT ALL.

Galatians 1:8-9 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

WHATEVER THE LAW SAYS IT SAYS TO THOSE WHO ARE UNDER THE LAW.(rom 3:19). IT WAS CREATED BY GOD FOR MAN AND NOT FOR HIMSELF.

1 Timothy 1:9-11 We also know that LAW IS MADE NOT FOR THE RIGHTEOUS but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and LIARS and perjurers—and for whatever else is CONTRARY TO THE SOUND DOCTRINE that conforms to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

OUR LORD DID NOT CONSIDER HIMSELF UNDER THE LAW WHEN HE SAID;

John 15:25 But this is to fulfill what is written in THEIR Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’

THE CURSE OF THE LAW IS “DEATH".

1 Corinthians 15:55-57 “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?” The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

“BY BECOMING A CURSE FOR US" MEANS “ BY DYING FOR US" SINCE THE CURSE OF THE LAW IS “DEATH”, AND THE GOSPEL CLEARLY SAYS THAT CHRIST DIED FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS(JUSTIFICATION).

NOWHERE IN THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST TELLS US THAT “HE WAS CURSED” FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS.

JESUS IS THE “WORD THAT BECAME FLESH" AND THAT WORD IS GOD.(john 1:1-3 & 14) GOD IS THE SUPREME BEING AND AUTHORITY, THE ALMIGHTY LIVING GOD, THE CREATOR, LAW GIVER AND THE JUDGE(james 4:12) AND NO ONE CAN JUDGE OR CURSE HIM OR CALL HIM “CURSED".

Galatians 3:10,13 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who DOES NOT CONTINUE TO DO everything written in the Book of the Law.”

“Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law BY BECOMING A CURSE FOR US, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”

1 Corinthians 2:10-16 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man’s judgment: “For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

PAUL CLEARLY DESCRIBED WHO ARE THOSE HE CONSIDERED “CURSED”;

Galatians 3:10 All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”

UNDERSTANDING THE ABOVE VERSE WILL BRING US TO THE CORRECT UNDERSTANDING OF THE FF: VERSE;

Galatians 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”

WE SHOULD ALL KNOW THAT THE LORD JESUS IS THE “WORD THAT BECAME FLESH" AND ACCORDING TO JOHN “THE WORD IS GOD". (john 1:1-3 & 14)

GOD IS THE SUPREME BEING AND AUTHORITY WHO CREATED THE LAW FOR MAN AND NOT FOR HIMSELF SO WHAT IS MAN TO CALL HIM “CURSED"?

WHO AMONG BELIEVERS WOULD QUESTION GOD’S VULNERABILITY TO CURSES OR WHATEVER EVIL ACTS AGAINST HIM? ...PETER EXPLAINS IT BETTER;

2 Peter 3:14-18 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him. Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are HARD TO UNDERSTAND, which IGNORANT and UNSTABLE people DISTORT, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction. Therefore, dear friends, since you already know this, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the ERROR of lawless men and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.

1 Timothy 6:3-5 If anyone teaches false doctrines and does not agree to the sound instruction of our Lord Jesus Christ and to godly teaching, he is conceited and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy interest in controversies and quarrels about words that result in envy, strife, malicious talk, evil suspicions and constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.

isaiah 5:20-24 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter. Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight. Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks, who acquit the guilty for a bribe, but deny justice to the innocent. Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for THEY HAVE REJECTED THE LAW OF THE LORD ALMIGHTY AND SPURNED THE WORD OF THE HOLY ONE OF ISRAEL.

Hebrews 10:26-29 If we DELIBERATELY keep on sinning after we have received the KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the TESTIMONY OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has TRAMPLED THE SON OF GOD under foot, who has TREATED AS AN UNHOLY THING the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has INSULTED THE SPIRIT OF GRACE?

.. GOD CANNOT BE MOCKED…

...LET GOD BE TRUE AND EVERY MAN A LIAR…

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Wow, you are going to give me the HONOR of have the First Post on page 3400.

This could become my new FAVORITE VERSE:

2 John 1:2 (HCSB)
2 because of the truth that remains in us and will be with us forever.

T

theanointedsinner

I have a confession to make, I was mocking OSAS by calling it "faith always protects" and I was being immature

I want to put that behind me, to turn over a new leaf, start over and taste the innocence of Jesus

"for every word you say, you will be acquitted, and for every word you say, you will be condemned" (Matthew 12:37)

@VCO, I'm trying to be humble, lead me

Mar 28, 2016
Please explain how turning to God and submitting to Him, by confessing Jesus as Lord, is "works based salvation".
I would think if he turns us by hearing His voice (hearing of His faith) .We accredit the first work to God. then after we can comfort our own selves (repent) knowing he cannot deny his self he has paid the full wage of our sin.
If we do not first hear his voice (the hearing of faith) seeing we are in formed in Romans 3 no one of their own volition seeks after God without God first giving us His understanding of one not seen.

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. Romans 3:10-11

Who would we be repenting towards as a work in respect to?

Jeremiah 31:18-19 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God. Surely after that I was turned, "I repented;" and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth

First things first.

Mar 28, 2016
believe is a mental action, not a work.

greek word for believe - pisteuo- definition - commit unto, put one's trust in, to credit, have confidence.

the word Gospel means the good news that the Messiah has come.

so, the words of Christ are true= whosoever believes in me ( the Messiah ) shall have eternal life.

so, very clearly, we obey because we are saved, not TO BE saved. do you accept this truth?
If a person does not do their home work there would be not much hope they could graduate to the next level . Faith, exercising(working out) what one believes, is a work

I would offer a person cannot separate faith form works. We are saved by the work of Christ's faithfulness as a labor of His love .Faith is a work it cannot be separate . Faith is the gift of God by the works of God.it provides the grace of God ...not of or own selves .

No faith is to amuse one self, not thinking, as a non work . Can't buy groceries today by playing video games to amuse one self .or nurture a relationship.

Oct 31, 2015
Your conflating a lost sheep in the wilderness and LOSING SALVATION....ONE OF MANY fatal flaws in your dogma with eternal consequences.....does it say the sheep became a goat...NOPE....wake up man your theology is severly flawed and lacking in biblical truth!

I agree there are eternal consequences.

If you love a person who's theology is severely flawed, you should try and help them, by taking the scriptures they seem to be conflating, and show them from those scriptures where they are wrong.

One of us is discussing the scriptures from Luke 15, while the other is making accusations and attacking the other person.

My point that I made from the scriptures is a sheep can wander away and become lost.

If someone loses something, then what they lost was theirs [found] to begin with, before it became lost.

4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:4-7

• ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’
  • there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents
  • than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

Please define for me, based on the language from this passage, what the word "lost" means.

Please explain for me how a sinner in need of repentance is saved.

Please explain how a lost sinner in need of repentance is still justified, when only the sheep who are not lost are said to be justififed.

JLB

Oct 31, 2015
Hahhahahahha shows how much you don't know about sheep and or shepherds.......wow man......your "what if's" don't even come close to real world examples....hahhahhaa more tainted cake from another erroneous ideology.....!!

Why not just answer the man's question honestly?

Why do you insult and accuse?

How can a lost person be reconciled to God, if he doesn't repent and return to God?

JPT

Oct 31, 2015
YES, this is A EXCELLENT POST. VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT! AMEN!

This is the "sense" in which Abraham was "justified by works." He was "shown to be righteous."

AFTER HE BELIEVED GOD, AND WAS GENUINELY SAVED AT THAT MOMENT. Our Living Born Again human spirit, AFTER it is saved, will go on to PRODUCE FRUIT, which is evidence that IT IS ALIVE.

The "work" by which Abraham was justified is the "work" of obedience, not the "works" of the law, or the "work" that earns a wage.

James is showing us the principle of how faith operates or functions to produce a divine result, otherwise faith is dead, or "dormant" like a body without a spirit is dead.

We see this principle when Abraham was first justified [saved].

And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” Galatians 3:8

Paul is referencing Genesis 12, where Abraham first heard the call of God.

Now the Lord had said to Abram:

“Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
So Abram departed as the Lord had spoken to him, and Lot went with him...
Galatians 12:1-4

Abraham responded in obedience to the voice of the Lord, and was justified by faith, demonstrating the pattern of justification by faith.

• foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand

The distinct principle of obedience is how faith functions to produce the intended divine result, which in this case is justification.

When God speaks to us, we receive faith.

When we obey what God speaks to us, then we are operating "by faith", in which our faith produces the intended divine result.

A faith that works [obeys] is a faith that works [functions].

JPT

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
The "work" by which Abraham was justified is the "work" of obedience, not the "works" of the law, or the "work" that earns a wage.

James is showing us the principle of how faith operates or functions to produce a divine result, otherwise faith is dead, or "dormant" like a body without a spirit is dead.

And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” Galatians 3:8

From your family
I will bless you

Abraham responded in obedience to the voice of the Lord, and was justified by faith, demonstrating the pattern of justification by faith.

• foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand

The distinct principle of obedience is how faith functions to produce the intended divine result, which in this case is justification.

When we obey what God speaks to us, then we are operating "by faith", in which our faith produces the intended divine result.

JPT
Abraham is just one of many examples of God's way of saved by grace through faith for good works.

God reached out to Abram. ( grace ). Abram believed . ( faith ). Abram did what God said ( works).

that is always the order God uses.

Oct 31, 2015
Abraham is just one of many examples of God's way of saved by grace through faith for good works.

God reached out to Abram. ( grace ). Abram believed . ( faith ). Abram did what God said ( works).

Believing is what we do.

Believe is a verb: a word of action

Faith is a noun: it is what we receive from God when He speaks to us.

Grace is the power of God that enables us to do what we can not without it:

Grace is the Holy Spirit: The Spirit of grace.

• Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 1 Peter 1:22-23

JPT

Dec 12, 2013
And before it bears fruit the soil needs tilling, nutrients, fertilizer pruning, and so on.
Exactly......

From your family
I will bless you

JPT
Abraham was justified by faith without one work added...try context...it will set you straight...

Therefore we (someone inspired and taught by direct revelation of God which alleviates your view) conclude that ABRAHAM was JUSTIFIED BY FAITH WITHOUT THE DEEDS/WORKS OF THE LAW.....

NO MAN is saved or justified before God by works...

THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH<--IT DOES NOT SAY WORKS...

Your false gospel will lead you and all who believe it into the the PLENTEOUS in number grouping who believe they know Jesus and believe they have a right to enter based upon the many wonderful works they and you have done.....

Bible->>>It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that BELIEVE

Your version-->Who cares what the bible states, men are saved by self merit, works, religious hoop jumping and even though the bible states grace or works, one or the other, I will keep pleddling my false religion of works....

Dec 12, 2013
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by FAITH WITHOUT THE DEEDS/WORKS OF THE LAW...end of story....works do not save, justify, keep saved, help one maintain salvation, top off salvation etc....and the faith that saves IS THE GIFT OF GOD......

works or grace <--those who peddle works MISS GRACE AND ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE have believed a FALSE GOSPEL WITH NO POWER....wake up people and do not buy the false gospels peddled by some!

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
spot on

john 15
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

if you TRUELY abide in Christ HE ABIDES IN YOU -> this is what produces fruit
Amen! 1 John 4:13 - By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. ;)

Amen! In James 2:21, we notice closely that James does not say that Abraham's work of offering up Isaac resulted in God's accounting Abraham as righteous. The accounting of Abraham's faith as righteousness was made in Genesis 15:6, many years before his work of offering up Isaac recorded in Genesis 22. The work of Abraham did not have some kind of intrinsic merit to save him, but it showed or manifested the genuineness of his faith. This is the "sense" in which Abraham was "justified by works." He was "shown to be righteous."

James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18),not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God (Romans 4:2-3).

The argument that man is saved by “these” works and just not “those” works (still salvation by works) that JPT presents is not accurate.

Mar 28, 2016
Why not just answer the man's question honestly?

Why do you insult and accuse?

How can a lost person be reconciled to God, if he doesn't repent and return to God?

JPT
Natural man is accreted as having no faith. Not little none

How can he repent( comfort himself ) if God not seen does not first turn him by the hearing of His faith? our first love ?

Oct 31, 2015
Abraham was justified by faith without one work added...try context...it will set you straight...

Please show me the scripture and the context you are referring to.

Therefore we (someone inspired and taught by direct revelation of God which alleviates your view) conclude that ABRAHAM was JUSTIFIED BY FAITH WITHOUT THE DEEDS/WORKS OF THE LAW.....

I agree, Abraham was justified apaert from the deeds or works of the law.

I never said otherwise.

The work that justifies is obedience to what we hear.

That's why it's called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26

THE JUST SHALL LIVE BY FAITH<--IT DOES NOT SAY WORKS...

By faith means God spoke to us and we obeyed.

It's that simple.

Bible->>>It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that BELIEVE

Believe means obey.

22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, 23 having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever, 1 Peter 1:22-23

JPT

Oct 31, 2015
Natural man is accreted as having no faith. Not little none

How can he repent( comfort himself ) if God not seen does not first turn him by the hearing of His faith? our first love ?

The way we receive faith is by hearing God speak to us.

Repent means to turn to God.

JPT

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Believing is what we do.

Believe is a verb: a word of action

Faith is a noun: it is what we receive from God when He speaks to us.

Grace is the power of God that enables us to do what we can not without it:

Grace is the Holy Spirit: The Spirit of grace.

JPT
this looks good on paper, but it is deceptive. belief and faith are mental acts. they will lead to one going good works, doing one's best to avoid sin, but they are mental acts.

you can't just throw all these in a blender, and see what comes out. does not work that way.

the order set fourth needs to be defined and kept in the order it was set fourth.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Please show me the scripture and the context you are referring to.

I agree, Abraham was justified apaert from the deeds or works of the law.

I never said otherwise.

The work that justifies is obedience to what we hear.

That's why it's called the obedience of faith.

But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: Romans 16:26
By faith means God spoke to us and we obeyed.

It's that simple.

Believe means obey.

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit

JPT
And there is the very HEART of your error, which also explains why you teach salvation by works. You define believe “as” obey and confuse believe/faith with acts of obedience/works which “follow” and are produced “out of” faith. This is a common error among works-salvationists.

Mar 28, 2016
Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by FAITH WITHOUT THE DEEDS/WORKS OF THE LAW...end of story....works do not save, justify, keep saved, help one maintain salvation, top off salvation etc....and the faith that saves IS THE GIFT OF GOD......

works or grace <--those who peddle works MISS GRACE AND ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE have believed a FALSE GOSPEL WITH NO POWER....wake up people and do not buy the false gospels peddled by some!
Faith is the work of Christ as a labor of His love . Faith is the gift that comes from Christ's work of faith. If we have the faith of Christ in respect to our own selves(James 2:1) then we have blasphemed the holy name by which we are call. (James 2:7)
Peter as the things of men the serial denier, is shown blaspheming the name of God, as the things of God . His blasphemy was forgiven because the presence of the Son of man was there. Today that blasphemy would be against the unseen Holy Spirit, not forgivable.

An object lesson .Peter should of denied his own self in unbelief (no faith) rather than Christ.

From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the "things that be of God", but those that be of men. Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.Mathew 16:21-24

Oct 31, 2015
this looks good on paper, but it is deceptive. belief and faith are mental acts.

Faith is not a mental act.

Faith is a noun.

Do you understand what a noun is?

A noun is a person, place or thing: The substance of the thing we hope for.

Believe is a verb: it what we do.

Believe in not a mental action.

• with the heart one believes

For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10

The believing in the heart must be accompanied by the action of obedience to confess with our mouth.

This is what completes faith.

Believe with the heart and obey.

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? James 2:21-22

• faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made [complete] perfect?

Confessing with the mouth Jesus as our Lord, is how we obey the Gospel.

10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:10

• with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

• But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” Romans 10:16

JPT