Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
="PS, post: 3692252, member: 150078"]The way you promote the Old Covenant over and above the New Covenant transgresses the work of the author of the New Covenant who is Christ himself.

The old covenant came by Moses while the new covenant came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17)
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

This is true. Moses gave the "OLD" Priesthood with Sacrificial "works of the Law" for "atonement of sins" (Grace) and administration of God's Laws. (Truth)

But Jesus created the "NEW" Priesthood in which He sacrificed Himself for atonement of sins (Grace) and wrote God's Commandments directly on our hearts, for the administration of God's Laws. (Truth)

The old covenant was ended by Jesus Christ (Roman 10:4) while the new covenant was established by Jesus Christ (Heb 8:6)
Yes, the Levitical Priesthood was ended by the Christ, replaced with a New "Ministry" built on better promises. (No more Levite Priests, no more animal sacrificial "works of the Law" for remission of sins.

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, (Levite Priests which had corrupted God's Word) )he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

The old covenant had many high priests (Heb. 7:23) while the new covenant has only one high priest (Jesus Christ) (Heb. 7:24-28)
True, the Priesthood was truly changed.

In the old covenant priests (high priest) were sinners (Heb. 5:1-4) while in the new covenant the priest has no sin (Jesus Christ) (Heb. 7:26
)

Yes, the perfect Priest to #1. Atone for our sins, #2. Administer God's Truth.

In the old, Moses and prophets were mediators while in the new covenant, Jesus Christ is the mediator
Well, technically it was Moses, Aaron and his sons who made up the Priesthood who were in charge of administering God's Laws to the people. The Prophets were sent when the Levites started corrupting God's Laws.

Heb. 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

But now we no longer "receive the Law" through the filter of carnal man, but by the Spirit of the Holy Christ, who will write these same Laws on the hearts of the truly repentant.

The old covenant needed offering for sin while in the new covenant, Jesus is the perfect sin offering

Yes, the Old Priesthood required the Blood of the best bull or goat of the heard, the New Priesthood required the Blood of a perfect man. Jesus qualified as this perfect man.

The old covenant is for Israelites only (Det 4: 7-8) while the new covenant is for all men (Luke 22:20)
That is what the Jews thought, only because they rejected much of God's Word. But in truth, the Old Priesthood was for anyone who turned to God in repentance, as it is written.

Ex. 12:
48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.
49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Duet. 10:
16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.
17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
18 He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.
19 Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

When someone clings to what Jesus ended, I cannot imagine Jesus saying to them, "Well done my good and faithful servant
I agree, the Jews continued in the "OLD" Priesthood with their sacrificial, ceremonial "Works of the Law" for remission of sins throughout the entire New Testament. Paul and his apostles fought with the purveyors of the Mainstream version of this "Old Priesthood" every day. Had these "Jews" read and followed God's instructions, they would have know what was coming as did Zechariahs, Simion, Anna, and the Wise men. But they were teaching for doctrines the commandments of men, and not God as it is written.

These "Pharisees" were false preachers.

Today, many who come in Christ's Name actually preach that Jesus didn't come to change the manner in which sins are forgiven, or how God's instructions are administered as He said in Jer. 31.

They preach that Jesus came to destroy the entire Law and Prophets, and make God's Laws obsolete, and the examples He had written for our admonition obsolete.

They too, reject much of God's word and replace them with religious tradition. Thankfully Jesus knew these religious men would do this so He cleared it all up for those interested in serving Him and not religious tradition.

Matt. 5:
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Well even a child can know not all that has been written about the Messiah has been fulfilled.

Heb. 10:
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

A New Priesthood, praise the Lord.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
When we consider the example Jesus set by his good works and deeds, I cannot see the difference between the "Mainstream Preachers of his Time" and you.
Thankfully it is the Word's of the Christ that I am to be judged by, not religious men.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
I know, he insists to dwell in his Pharisee-Like Religion, rather than REALLY listening to the Truth.
I'm sorry you feel this way. I believe the Word's of the God of the Bible are truth above that of religious man. I thought maybe you would feel the same way.

I stand corrected.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
your first sentence is so true. no one should take one snip of one thing that someone said, and twist it to make it say something other than what was intended.

like taking Jesus saying that " you are of your father , the devil" and then using this one snip of one discourse, and twisting that into the Pharisees had thrown out the Torah, and used their own law, then when shown how all the 613 connect back to the Torah, ignore that, and attack anyone who points out this truth.

do you know anyone who has done what I just described, studyman?
Matt. 15:
7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men

Matt. 23:4 For they (Pharisees, not God) bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.

Jer. 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?

Acts 7:
51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

John 7:19 Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law? Why go ye about to kill me

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
33 When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
and who brought salvation to the lost.

Isaiah53:1
Who has believed our message and to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
Gen. 4:
6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

This is true. Moses gave the "OLD" Priesthood with Sacrificial "works of the Law" for "atonement of sins" (Grace) and administration of God's Laws. (Truth)

But Jesus created the "NEW" Priesthood in which He sacrificed Himself for atonement of sins (Grace) and wrote God's Commandments directly on our hearts, for the administration of God's Laws. (Truth)

Yes, the Levitical Priesthood was ended by the Christ, replaced with a New "Ministry" built on better promises. (No more Levite Priests, no more animal sacrificial "works of the Law" for remission of sins.

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, (Levite Priests which had corrupted God's Word) )he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

True, the Priesthood was truly changed.

)

Yes, the perfect Priest to #1. Atone for our sins, #2. Administer God's Truth.

Well, technically it was Moses, Aaron and his sons who made up the Priesthood who were in charge of administering God's Laws to the people. The Prophets were sent when the Levites started corrupting God's Laws.

Heb. 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

But now we no longer "receive the Law" through the filter of carnal man, but by the Spirit of the Holy Christ, who will write these same Laws on the hearts of the truly repentant.

Yes, the Old Priesthood required the Blood of the best bull or goat of the heard, the New Priesthood required the Blood of a perfect man. Jesus qualified as this perfect man.

That is what the Jews thought, only because they rejected much of God's Word. But in truth, the Old Priesthood was for anyone who turned to God in repentance, as it is written.

Ex. 12:
48 And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof.
49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Duet. 10:
16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked.
17 For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
18 He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.
19 Love ye therefore the stranger: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.

I agree, the Jews continued in the "OLD" Priesthood with their sacrificial, ceremonial "Works of the Law" for remission of sins throughout the entire New Testament. Paul and his apostles fought with the purveyors of the Mainstream version of this "Old Priesthood" every day. Had these "Jews" read and followed God's instructions, they would have know what was coming as did Zechariahs, Simion, Anna, and the Wise men. But they were teaching for doctrines the commandments of men, and not God as it is written.

These "Pharisees" were false preachers.

Today, many who come in Christ's Name actually preach that Jesus didn't come to change the manner in which sins are forgiven, or how God's instructions are administered as He said in Jer. 31.

They preach that Jesus came to destroy the entire Law and Prophets, and make God's Laws obsolete, and the examples He had written for our admonition obsolete.

They too, reject much of God's word and replace them with religious tradition. Thankfully Jesus knew these religious men would do this so He cleared it all up for those interested in serving Him and not religious tradition.

Matt. 5:
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Well even a child can know not all that has been written about the Messiah has been fulfilled.

Heb. 10:
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;

A New Priesthood, praise the Lord.
So why do you keep going back to the Old Covenant?

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Gen. 4:
6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
Praise God we live in a time of Grace and Peace and Mercy, the enmity between God and man has been put to death through the cross.

Epheasians2:14-18
14)
For He Himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15) by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in Himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16) and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17) He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18) For through Him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
So why do you keep going back to the Old Covenant?
It seems you are equating ALL of God's Word as the Old Covenant. Jesus didn't do that. He changed the Priesthood, He didn't make Void the Law and Prophets.

At least the Jesus of the Bible didn't.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
Praise God we live in a time of Grace and Peace and Mercy, the enmity between God and man has been put to death through the cross.

Epheasians2:14-18
14)
For He Himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, 15) by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations. His purpose was to create in Himself one new humanity out of the two, thus making peace, 16) and in one body to reconcile both of them to God through the cross, by which he put to death their hostility. 17) He came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. 18) For through Him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.
So do you use this one verse and your preaching of it to erase the entire Law and Prophets?

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Are you aware of what the concept of "pure religion" is?

Are you aware that there is a Law of Christ that has replaced the Law of Moses?

When you say the law has passed, you are talking about the Law of Moses. The Law of Christ is new and forever. What is it?
If you are referring to James 1:27, yes I'm aware of that scripture. I'm also aware that Christ gave us this scripture.

The Great Commandment

28 And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” 29 Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

PS

Jan 11, 2013
It seems you are equating ALL of God's Word as the Old Covenant. Jesus didn't do that. He changed the Priesthood, He didn't make Void the Law and Prophets.

At least the Jesus of the Bible didn't.
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. (Rom 10:4 KJV)

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Luke 24:44-48

The Scriptures Opened
44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things.

John 16:5-11

The Work of the Holy Spirit
5 “But now I go away to Him who sent Me, and none of you asks Me, ‘Where are You going?’ 6 But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
So do you use this one verse and your preaching of it to erase the entire Law and Prophets?
You are a most contentious person with reason no doubt, was your question a test?
My answer is no.

Isaiah40:8
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever."

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. (Rom 10:4 KJV)
Praise God. We need look no further than the Christ and His instruction in Righteousness. Religious man with their doctrines and traditions will come and go. But God's Word Lasts forever.

Matt. 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.