Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

eternally-gratefull

Projection is a popular tactic among folks who are trying to deflect from their own words or actions. Like attacking and insulting folks who don't agree with your religious doctrines, while accusing them of attacking you for the same thing. Very popular in modern political and religious discourse.

Psychology 101.

I asked a Bible discussion question of you recently which your ignored. I'll ask again.

Did the Christ you claim as your own speak these Words?

"And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."
God, and The world is my witness.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
i'll go a step farther- I think some are here just to harass and belittle Christians.

I mean. when you have folks who do not believe that Christ was fully God and fully man, we have to keep the Law of Moses, that we do not need to feed and clothe the poor, then those folks are here to harass.

I mean, other than what I just said, if one does not believe these things, all Christian values and beliefs, then why are they here??

They are here:

Matthew 7:20 (HCSB)
20 So you’ll recognize them by their fruit.

Galatians 5:19-21 (HCSB)
19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions,
21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
They are here:

Matthew 7:20 (HCSB)
20 So you’ll recognize them by their fruit.

Galatians 5:19-21 (HCSB)
19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity,
20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions,
21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar. I tell you about these things in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
John 2:
13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,
14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise.

So do you condemn the Christ for hatred, strife and outbursts of anger for exposing the "lawless" practices of the Mainstream religions of His Time?

Matt. 15:3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

So do you also condemn Jesus for causing "division" among the Mainstream religion of His time? Is He also guilty of "outbursts of anger" when He exposed all the man made traditions of the Mainstream religions of His Time?

You shall know them by their fruits.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
This is a Bible Discussion forum TT. I am here to discuss what God's Word actually says, not promote some religious franchise. If you practice religious tradition which can not be supported by the Word of God which became Flesh, then your problem is with God's Word, not me.

If some of God's Word offend you, then your problem is with God's Word, not me.
Pure nonsense, your posts are full of lies not truth and your final day is coming. You have already proven yourself a fake and a fraud.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
Pure nonsense, your posts are full of lies not truth and your final day is coming. You have already proven yourself a fake and a fraud.
I don't promote a religion which transgresses God's Commandments. Is that why you are filled with so much hatred?

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Yes they did not earn their salvation and nobody could. My reply was to Budman which implies that I am saying that salvation could be earned, so I asked if these HOLY men will be thrown into the lake of fire for obeying and teaching about obedience to God. Will they be?
I pretty much answered that in my response

J

J70x7

I don't promote a religion which transgresses God's Commandments. Is that why you are filled with so much hatred?
I bet this person has no problem loving to obey Satan's :devilish: commandments.

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
I once thought that there was hope for you Studyman but now my thoughts have changed, you are an incorrigible and hopeless heretic. The only word I have for you is "Repent"

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
I bet this person has no problem loving to obey Satan's :devilish: commandments.
I don't think folks purposely serve satan. I think folks are snared to do its will as was Eve who satan used to trick Adam. The first and most difficult thing for prideful man to do is confess our sins. But before we can confess them, we must know what sin is. This is where satan deceives many people. It tricks them into believing things which the Christ deemed unholy ( man made feasts unto the Lord, religious traditions of man which transgress God's Commandments) are holy. And that many things which the Christ created as Holy (His Sabbaths, His Commandments) are unholy.

Is. 5:
20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
22 Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:
23 Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!

The Word of God is clear that satan deceives through religions that call Him Lord, Lord. A tough pill to swallow for many who are on that broad path. But we are capable of "Coming out of her" if we would just Believe the Word's of the Christ. Sadly men didn't believe Him when He was the Almighty Creator God of the Bible, nor did they believe Him when He came as a lamb for the slaughter. AS He said;

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
I once thought that there was hope for you Studyman but now my thoughts have changed, you are an incorrigible and hopeless heretic. The only word I have for you is "Repent"
Yes, the Mainstream religions of the world have always taught that much of the sayings of the Word of God which became Flesh was heresy. As Paul explains.

Acts 24:
13 Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me.
14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

I just don't believe that my only hope is to follow a religion which Jesus would never condone, never partake of, never promote. Regardless of whether you place His name on it or not. Surely you must consider "what if He is Right" and His Word's, not man's religious traditions, are Life.

Nevertheless, as He inspired it to be written;

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
Will the holy men of God such as the prophets and the apostles who were killed and some were even beheaded, be thrown into the lake of fire because they "earned their salvation" (as implied) by OBEYING AND TEACHING OBEDIENCE TO GOD?

The FREE GIFT of God is His only begotten Son Jesus Christ.
(Romans 6:23, revelations 22:17)

“For God so loved the world that HE GAVE HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have ETERNAL LIFE. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” John 3:16-21

...Now THIS IS ETERNAL LIFE: THAT THEY MAY KNOW YOU, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3

Then John said;

...WE KNOW THAT WE HAVE COME TO KNOW HIM IF WE OBEY HIS COMMANDS. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a LIAR, and THE TRUTH IS NOT IN HIM. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know WE ARE IN HIM: Whoever CLAIMS to live in him MUST WALK as Jesus did. 1 john 2:3-6

WE CAN BE IN JESUS IF WE OBEY THE COMMANDMENTS. HE IS THE LIFE THAT WE MUST ENTER IN. (john 14:6)... ETERNAL LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS. (Romans 6:23)

...If you want TO ENTER LIFE, obey the commandments.” matthew 19:17

...Although he was a son, HE LEARNED OBEDIENCE FROM WHAT HE SUFFERED hebrews 5:8

...To this you were called, because Christ SUFFERED for you, LEAVING YOU AN EXAMPLE, that YOU SHOULD FOLLOW IN HIS STEPS. 1 Peter 2:21

...For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ NOT ONLY TO BELIEVE IN HIM, but also TO SUFFER FOR HIM, Philippians 1:29

Those who truly believes in the Son of God loves the light and Jesus is the LIGHT of the world.

Whoever loves Jesus stays in the light and OBEYS His commands. Whoever does not OBEY His commands hates the LIGHT. Whoever hates the LIGHT, hates God. Whoever hates God are ENEMIES of God.

...As far as the gospel is concerned, they are ENEMIES on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God’s gifts and his call are IRREVOCABLE. Romans 11:28-29

...THEY STUMBLE BECAUSE THEY DISOBEY THE MESSAGE—which is also what they were destined for. 1 Peter 2:8

Paul was talking here about GOD'S calling and gifts to Israel.

...the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. Theirs are the patriarchs, and from them is traced the human ancestry of Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen. Romans 9:4-5

...This is IRREVOCABLE.

But what did he say to the Gentiles?

...I am talking to you Gentiles. In as much as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I make much of my ministry in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them. For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead? If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches. If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, DO NOT BOAST OVER THOSE BRANCHES. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. DO NOT BE ARROGANT, BUT BE AFRAID. For if God did not spare the natural branches, HE WILL NOT SPARE YOU EITHER. Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, PROVIDED that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, YOU ALSO WILL BE CUT OFF. And if they do not persist in unbelief, they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. After all, if you were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree! Romans 11:13-24

...But our citizenship is in heaven. And WE EAGERLY AWAIT A SAVIOR from there, the Lord Jesus Christ,
Philippians 3:20

...And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to WAKE UP from your slumber, because OUR SALVATION IS NEARER NOW THAN WHEN WE FIRST BELIEVED . Romans 13:11
I'm happy to do the work God requires.

And here it is: "Then they asked Him, 'What must we do to do the works God requires?' Jesus answered, 'The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.'" (John 6:28-29)

Believe.

That's it, and that's all. To add anything else to it makes Jesus a liar, and transforms salvation from a gift to be received, into a wage to be earned.

To put yourself back under the Law does little but places a curse from God upon you. (Galatians 3:10-13)

N

NoNameMcgee

I'm happy to do the work God requires.

And here it is: "Then they asked Him, 'What must we do to do the works God requires?' Jesus answered, 'The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.'" (John 6:28-29)

Believe.

That's it, and that's all. To add anything else to it makes Jesus a liar, and transforms salvation from a gift to be received, into a wage to be earned.

To put yourself back under the Law does little but places a curse from God upon you. (Galatians 3:10-13)
amen brother

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
Yes, the Mainstream religions of the world have always taught that much of the sayings of the Word of God which became Flesh was heresy. As Paul explains.

Acts 24:
13 Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me.
14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

I just don't believe that my only hope is to follow a religion which Jesus would never condone, never partake of, never promote. Regardless of whether you place His name on it or not. Surely you must consider "what if He is Right" and His Word's, not man's religious traditions, are Life.

Nevertheless, as He inspired it to be written;

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
Have you departed from iniquity - or do you still sin every day just like everyone else?

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Hello again forum, I found this short article on how to recognize a "False Teacher." 2Peter2:1 says that there were "False Prophets" among the people just as there will be "False Teachers", among all of you, here and now and even on this wonderful Christian Forum.

I have a desire within me that says I to want to see everybody "Saved", don't you! I have never questioned as to why I have this desire inside to see everyone saved because I believe that God put that desire within me. Where I run into problems is that; I know God is not willing that "anyone should perish" but that all should come to repentance, but "ah ha", I know that not everyone will repent, and I truly understand that.

Sincerely I am hoping that by trying to understand those "False Teacher's" who oppose the "True Gospel" and who may never repent, I can be at peace inside with those who do not repent and maybe will never believe the gospel and be saved.

Quote: "Wherever God plants true Christians; the devil not far behind will plant; "a false gospel; preached by a false ministers; and producing false Christians."

You can read the entire article at this website: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/7-traits-of-false-teachers/

------------------------------------------------------------------
Seven Traits of a False Teacher

2Peter2:1
But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.

There were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you.” (2 Peter 2:1)

There are no “ifs, ands, or buts” in Peter’s words. It’s a clear and definite statement. There were false prophets among the people (of Israel in the Old Testament). That’s a matter of history. False prophets were a constant problem in the Old Testament, and those who falsely claimed to be prophets of God were to be stoned. The people rarely had the will to deal with them, so they multiplied, causing disaster to the spiritual life of God’s people.

In the same way Peter says, “There will be false teachers among you.” Notice the words “among you.” Peter is writing to the church and says, “There will be false prophets among you.” So he is not talking about New Age people on television. He is talking about people in the local church, members of a local congregation.
There is no such thing as a pure church this side of heaven. You will never find it. The wheat and the tares grow together. Warren Wiersbe writes:

"Satan is the counterfeiter. . . . He has a false gospel (Galatians 1:6-9), preached by false ministers (2 Corinthians 11:13-12), producing false Christians (2 Corinthians 11:26). . . . Satan plants his counterfeits wherever God plants true believers (Matthew 13:38).

Don’t Be Naïve
We must not be ignorant: “There will be false teachers among you” (2:1). So how do we apply this warning?
First, Peter’s plain statement reminds us that the church needs to be protected. Among the many wonderful people who come to through the doors of the church each year, some would do more harm than good.

They may seem the nicest of people, but they do not believe in the authority of the Bible or the exclusivity of salvation in Christ. We welcome such people, because they need Christ as much as we do, but we must not allow them to have influence in the church.

Second, skeptics will always be able to point to hypocrisy and inconsistency in the church. They’ve always done it, and they always will. One of the strangest reasons for not following Christ goes like this: “I’ve seen people in the church who are hypocrites.” So you will not follow Christ because some people who claim to do so are hypocrites?

The existence of the counterfeit is never a good reason for rejecting the genuine. Peter essentially tells us, “Of course there are counterfeit Christians. Of course there are teachers who do the church more harm than good. What else would you expect in this fallen world? Grow up! Don’t be naïve! Don’t miss what’s real simply because you have seen the counterfeit.”

Point to 2 Peter 2:1 the next time you meet someone hiding behind this excuse.

Attribute: Author Colin Smith
Colin Smith, (MPhil, London School of Theology) is senior pastor of The Orchard Evangelical Free Church, a multi-campus church in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and his ministry extends through his radio program Unlocking the Bible. He is also committed to mentoring next generation pastors, missionaries, and church-planters through The Orchard Network. Colin and his wife, Karen, have two married sons and five granddaughters.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Will the holy men of God such as the prophets and the apostles who were killed and some were even beheaded, be thrown into the
lake of fire because they "earned their salvation" (as implied) by OBEYING AND TEACHING OBEDIENCE TO GOD?
. . .
. . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. < <
THIS IS A FALSE GOSPEL, . . . EARNED . . . THE ERROR LIES IN THE USE OF THAT WORD.
Check out those in MAT. Chapter 7:20-23 who thought the exact same then.
. . . THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN, ECCL. 1:9 (HCSB)

Romans 3:9-10 (HCSB)
9 What then? Are we any better? Not at all! For we have previously charged that both Jews and Gentiles are all under sin,
10 as it is written: There is no one righteous, not even one.

Romans 3:12 (HCSB)
12 All have turned away; all alike have become useless.
There is no one who does what is good, not even one.

Titus 3:5-7 (HCSB)
5 He saved us— not by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
6 He poured out this ⌊Spirit⌋ on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope of eternal life.

Romans 4:4-5 (HCSB)
4 Now to the one who works, pay is not considered as a gift, but as something owed.
5 But to the one who does not work, but believes on Him who declares the ungodly to be righteous, his faith is credited for righteousness.

Romans 11:6 (HCSB)
6 Now if by grace, then it is not by works; otherwise grace ceases to be grace.

Galatians 2:15-16 (HCSB)
15 We who are Jews by birth and not “Gentile sinners”
16 know that no one is justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ. And we have believed in Christ Jesus so that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no human being will be justified.

THE ONLY MOTIVE FOR WORKS, THAT GOD RESPECTS, IS LOVE FOR HIM and the Brethren, AFTER HE HAS SAVED YOU.

1 Chronicles 29:17 (NRSV)
17 I know, my God, that you search the heart, and take pleasure in uprightness; in the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and now I have seen your people, who are present here, offering freely and joyously to you.

Jeremiah 17:10 (HCSB)
10 I, Yahweh, examine the mind, I test the heart to give to each according to his way, according to what his actions deserve.

THE MOTIVE TO EARN YOUR SALVATION, IS NOTHING MORE THAN FILTHY RAGS, AND WILL PUT YOU ON THE BROAD ROAD TO THE DESTRUCTION OF THE LAKE OF FIRE.

J

J70x7

[26] And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, [27] To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. [28] And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. [29] Who having heard, was troubled at his saying, and thought with herself what manner of salutation this should be. [30] And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God.

[31] Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus. [32] He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. [33] And of his kingdom there shall be no end. [34] And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? [35] And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.