Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
"Apart from the biblical authors themselves, Calvin stands as the most influential minister of the Word the world has ever seen. Philip Melanchthon revered him as the most able interpreter of Scripture in the church, and therefore labeled him simply “the theologian.” And Charles Spurgeon said that Calvin “propounded truth more clearly than any other man that ever breathed, knew more of Scripture, and explained it more clearly.”"
Melancthon also went back on the Doctrine of Justification by faith alone after Luther's death running back into the arms of Rome. It was Chemnitz who had to reach in and save the Lutheran movement back then.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
I do not KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO, so it has to be on I put on my Permanent IGNORE LIST. So I will post this HERE, so that the PERSON that called the Disease of Calvinism, is sick on a twisted, perverted opinion of WHAT CALVINISM ACTUALLY IS.

So let's GET the CORRECT ANSWER from Dr. John MacArthur HIMSELF, WHAT IS CALVINISM GENUINELY ABOUT:

Please Listen to every word of this 27:32 minute message, before you and the Person You are Talking to before you make up your mind, because the THEORY that the Person you were TALKING TO, BELIEVES A TOTAL LIE about what CALVINISM actually teaches.
VCO,
It seems that everything YOU believe is truth, and everything others believe is a lie.
Some of us know about calvinism without having to listen to a 30 minute YouTube video.

Would you be willing to explain what the U in TULIP means to you, in your own words?

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Melancthon also went back on the Doctrine of Justification by faith alone after Luther's death running back into the arms of Rome. It was Chemnitz who had to reach in and save the Lutheran movement back then.
Justification by faith alone is believed by every church I could think of at this moment.
Sanctification is not by faith alone and requires some action on our part.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Very true.
But some don't really understand that forgiveness is a matter of the will.
They think that to forgive means you have to feel it in the heart and that you have to feel love for that person.

This is not true. First we forgive with our will...we WILL to forgive that person and must even pray for them if necessary for our own good.

In time we come to find that when we see them we no longer feel ANYTHING and with time we even come to feel sorry for them. At this point it goes to the heart --- but it may not happen right away.

This false sense of forgiveness being a feeling keeps many from either not forgiving, or being worried that they really have not forgiven.

Sometimes we expect more from ourselves than God expects.
Hey hey.

Im one of these guys. I always believe I never forgive anyone properly.

I just say it, and I dont revenge anything, (vengeance is the Lord's) and I'll pray to God to bless them. And I feel like its not enough. Because in the back of my head im still going "maaan... **** that ******* ***** *** *****" :D

So clearly i didnt properly forgive that person. What exactly does God mean by forgiving others? Does it just mean to not curse them and not revenge? But rather bless them and keep it moving? Thats what I do, I hope its enough.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
John McArthur is a false teacher who spreads the disease of Calvinism.

JPT
So are you against the disease of the Westminster Confession as well?
Consider the fact that there is no Calvinism per se. It is just a contrivance, a label.
The Reformation was a deviation to the mean: from Rome back to biblical accuracy

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Sanctification is not by faith alone and requires some action on our part.
True, but even the action on our part (the good we do that is acceptable before God) is due to faith alone on account of Christ alone.

Hebrews 11:6 KJV
[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him : for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I don't know why these 'isms' are so hard to accept. All it is is a stream of like minded Christians flowing from the blood of Jesus.

Different ministrations?

Don't try to tell me the perfect has come when we have members of one body shooting arrows at each other. Directed moreso at another thread but am being lazy.

Looks like a war zone here at times.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Hey hey.

I just say it, and I dont revenge anything, (vengeance is the Lord's) and I'll pray to God to bless them. And I feel like its not enough. Because in the back of my head im still going "maaan... **** that ******* ***** *** *****" :D

So clearly i didnt properly forgive that person. What exactly does God mean by forgiving others? Does it just mean to not curse them and not revenge? But rather bless them and keep it moving? Thats what I do, I hope its enough.

I think you have it pretty much right. You accept him in the fellowship if he repents, but you do not condone the deed, as it remains in your mind as an example of bad theology, or bad behavior; which you do not hold it as a grudge against that person. However, we are not to tolerate FALSE DOCTRINE. Now if he continues to spew False Doctrine, you have to protect the lambs, and after the Second Warning, you are to have nothing to do with him.

Titus 3:9-11 (HCSB)
9 But avoid foolish debates, genealogies, quarrels, and disputes about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.
10 Reject a divisive person after a first and second warning,
11 knowing that such a person is perverted and sins, being self-condemned.

2 Thessalonians 3:13-15 (HCSB)
13 Brothers, do not grow weary in doing good.
14 And if anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take note of that person; don’t associate with him, so that he may be ashamed.
15 Yet don’t treat him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

Ephesians 5:7-11 (HCSB)
7 Therefore, do not become their partners.
8 For you were once darkness, but now ⌊you are⌋ light in the Lord. Walk as children of light—
9 for the fruit of the light ⌊results⌋ in all goodness, righteousness, and truth—
10 discerning what is pleasing to the Lord.
11 Don’t participate in the fruitless works of darkness, but instead expose them.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Godsgrace101...

Sanctifation is Gods Spirit within us. He may direct us to move but the ability is His. Unless you are talking about baking a cake for your new neighbor. That's cultural.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
If someone who is just born is automatically going to heaven, which many do believe including myself since they havent sinned yet. In fact i dont know where they go, but its certainly not hell.

Then isn't abortion the best thing to ever do? Because the odds are when someone grows up they wont become a christian in today's society? The parents are doing them a favor, really, sacrificing themselves by sinning, yet saving a soul.

That sounds twisted to me, but that would be the logical conclusion. Why insist on raising them to hell?

Anyone got a good explanation?
Even though the baby will go to heaven it doesn't negate the murder on the mother, father, and doctors head. Maybe in a sense it is a "favor" to the child, who was robbed of life for the parents convenience, but doesn't change the fact that they are murderers. How is God glorified in that? That is NOT good. Not that hard to think through the fact the baby would have been better off born to two loving parents, together in Christ excited to raise this blessing God gave them. Make sense?

Dec 12, 2013
Faith leads us to Christ to accept His gift of salvation. Faith such as that is not lost. Faith such as that is what leads us to eternal life, which is promised to all who believe and accept the Lord Jesus Christ
Amen...the faith that Jesus begins, finishes, and COMPLETES..........

Dec 12, 2013
There is no doubt about the great falling away mentioned by Paul and John. We have homosexuals as pastors, they are removing scripture to allow sin to be accepted, there are seeker friendly churches who are not preaching anything that causes the soul to be concerned about salvation, we see even the Pope merging with religions like the Muslim and others, some bigger churches appear more like a theme park with worldly music than a true House of God, there has been and it's grown even more this dancing with ribbons and flags that have no anointing to it at all.

The representation of God in many churches are nothing but a mockery.

But, the scripture does tell us that there will be an "awakening" before the Tribulation begins, to prepare the Elect. And if what you have copied/pasted is following that sentiment, then it is not actually adding to scripture, but rather confirming that scripture is about to be fulfilled" Which is a big difference than adding.

But nevertheless, I feel it still is something worthy to keep a close eye on. Partially due to the fact, scripture has to be fulfilled, and we definitely are in the last days!!
While I fully agree that Christianity is growing cold and we see many beginning to become more worldly in their walk, we cannot alleviate that by the word "AND" the apostasy is tied unto the Man of Sin and his revealing.......just saying.....

2nd Thessalonians 2

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
Even though the baby will go to heaven it doesn't negate the murder on the mother, father, and doctors head. Maybe in a sense it is a "favor" to the child, who was robbed of life for the parents convenience, but doesn't change the fact that they are murderers. How is God glorified in that? That is NOT good. Not that hard to think through the fact the baby would have been better off born to two loving parents, together in Christ excited to raise this blessing God gave them. Make sense?
What about the child's destiny? He/she are robbed of fulfilling the reason why they were conceived. IMO

Oct 31, 2015
I would not label Pastor John MacArthur as a false teacher and there are many who would say he teaches the word of God. It is common knowledge that Pastor John MacArthur is not liked by the charismatics, so if you do not like his teaching then do not listen to him.

The disease of Calvinism?, there's a lot of hatefulness in a statement like that.

Calvinism is the disease of the last days Church.

If you knew this doctrine you would whole heartedly agree.

Please study to show yourself approved.

JPT

Oct 31, 2015
So are you against the disease of the Westminster Confession as well?
Consider the fact that there is no Calvinism per se. It is just a contrivance, a label.
The Reformation was a deviation to the mean: from Rome back to biblical accuracy

I don’t know what it says.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
While I fully agree that Christianity is growing cold and we see many beginning to become more worldly in their walk, we cannot alleviate that by the word "AND" the apostasy is tied unto the Man of Sin and his revealing.......just saying.....

2nd Thessalonians 2
I agree, but brother I feel the fire. Here in my community I feel it in the air and see it everywhere. The absolute power of truth reigns supreme over all. His power, the change I see even in multiple people in the jail I can SEE Him changing and working in them, and it's strait up exciting. He is growing me to "go", and gives me the confidence to proclaim that truth in power, in the jail, at the nursing home, at work, at the bank, at home. It's just overflowing in me and it's indescribable to watch His power at work. That's where my heart is now, on fire to declare Jesus King over everything.

BTW this is just declaring what was on my heart, not trying to "teach, correct, debate, rebuke" anything at all about what you said. Just to be clear. :)

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
True, but even the action on our part (the good we do that is acceptable before God) is due to faith alone on account of Christ alone.

Hebrews 11:6 KJV
[6] But without faith it is impossible to please him : for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

AND SALVATION IS NOT A REWARD, IT IS A FREE GIFT.

Rewards are Like the Laurel Wreath Crowns award to the winning of a race.

2 Timothy 2:5 (NIV)
5 Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.

1 Corinthians 9:25 (HCSB)
25 Now everyone who competes exercises self-control in everything. However, they do it to receive a crown that will fade away,
but we a crown that will never fade away.

1 Thessalonians 2:19 (ASV)
19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of glorying? Are not even ye, before our Lord Jesus at his coming?

1 Thessalonians 2:19 (KJV)
19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

1 Thessalonians 2:19 (NASB)
19 For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?

2 Timothy 4:8 (HCSB)
8 There is reserved for me in the future the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me, but to all those who have loved His appearing.

James 1:12 (HCSB)
12 A man who endures trials is blessed, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.

1 Peter 5:4 (HCSB)
4 And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

Revelation 2:10 (HCSB)
10 Don’t be afraid of what you are about to suffer. Look, the Devil is about to throw some of you into prison to test you, and you will have affliction for 10 days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Revelation 3:11 (HCSB)
11 I am coming quickly. Hold on to what you have, so that no one takes your crown.

You can lose your Crowns, but NOT YOUR SALVATION, IF YOU HAVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, because it is a FREE GIFT. You lose your crowns by listening to False Doctrine or a False Gospel. 1 Cor. 3:12-15

There are several crowns mentioned in the Apocrypha, that may not be biblical:

Wisdom of Solomon 5:16 (NJB)
16 So they will receive the glorious crown and the diadem of beauty from the Lord's hand; for he will shelter them with his right hand and with his arm he will shield them.

Sirach 1:11 (NJB)
11 The fear of the Lord is glory and pride, happiness and a crown of joyfulness.

Sirach 32:2 (NJB)
2 Having discharged your duties, take your place so that your joy may be through theirs, and you may receive the crown for your competence.

Sirach 1:18 (NJB)
18 The crown of wisdom is to fear the Lord: she makes peace and health flourish.

1547568369684.jpeg

Swan7

Oct 27, 2014
I agree that works of our own accord does not save, but it is the works done by Jesus Christ that does. Works done without faith is nothing just like faith without works is dead. This reminds me of this passage: Matthew 25:31-46

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Calvinism is the disease of the last days Church.

If you knew this doctrine you would whole heartedly agree.

Please study to show yourself approved
Hi Justpassinthrough, I have never met you or have had a conversation with you and yet you come here on a public forum and throw insults at me. So far you have proven yourself to be overcritical, boastful, intolerant, and vindictive and you just cannot let something go.

GodsGrace101

Sep 14, 2018
Hey hey.

Sure it's enough.
First of all, we can only do what we can do. It's the effort that God appreciates.
What God means by forgiving others is to not hate them and not hold their action to you against them.
It means to free them from the harm they've done to you...at least in your mind, if not yet in your heart.
I do find that if we start, we will go all the way. This might take years...it all depends on what the harm done was about.

And because you haven't forgotten doesn't mean you haven't forgiven.
And you're right....forgive means to not curse them and leave the revenge to God...as you said.
Plus, there's karma...what goes around comes around.

I like to pray that they could come to know God.
We're God's creatures---we can only do our best.