Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Those who do not obey the Lord, do not love Him, and do not know Him.

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 1 John 2:4

Loving God is obeying Him.

JPT
and what are those commands?

same man, same letter, 3rd chapter.

believe on the name of the Son and love one another.

so, if you believe, you are obeying.

Dec 12, 2013
Amen! I have explained what "obey the gospel" means to JPT numerous times before, yet he continues to write a blank check with the word "obey" and fill in whatever amount of works that he feels is necessary to be saved, then he confuses that with believing the gospel.

In Romans 10:16, we read: But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" We can clearly see that we obey the gospel by choosing to believe the gospel (Romans 1:16)

*Refusing to believe the gospel (2 Thessalonians 1:8) is refusing to obey the gospel.

The gospel is a message of grace to be received through faith. The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation. The gospel simply sets forth Christ crucified, buried and risen (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation for everyone who BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16). *We obey the gospel by choosing to believe by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation. (y)
AMEN.....the word does not even mean to obey.....it means to LISTEN TO or HEARKEN unto.......BELIEVE.............and he, like a few others, must skew the word in order to peddle his false dogma......just another deceiver.....

Oct 31, 2015
FOLKS, the following is a prime example of how deceivers like JUSTPASSINGTHROUGH with twist words to say something the text is not saying to peddle the drivel of a salvation based upon some legalistic command keeping or working for drivel.......the word TRANSLATED OBEY in the KING JAMES is the Greek word hupakouo and means to LISTEN TO, ATTEND TO or HEARKEN TO and the implication is clear....those who DO NOT KNOW GOD because the have NOT LISTENED and HEARKENED unto the GOSPEL of JESUS will pay the price in the VENGEANCE of GOD.

THE GOSPEL IS........BELIEVE on the SON (his death, burial and resurrection for your SIN) and YOU WILL be SAVED from WRATH through HIM.

DO NOT buy the deception that comes from the people that turn BELIEF into some sort of command keeping, law keeping, self saving working for DRIVEL that will not save a man......Believe the GOSPEL by FAITH..............that is what saves a man or woman!

In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Strong's Concordance
hupakouó: to listen, attend to
Original Word: ὑπακούω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hupakouó
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-ak-oo'-o)
Definition: to listen, attend to, hearken
Usage: I listen, hearken to, obey, answer.

Yes.

Obey means listen and do what is said.

Believe the Gospel means obey the Gospel.

Believe the Lord means obey the Lord.

If you do not obey the Lord, then you obey Satan, the deceiver.

But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say?
Luke 6:46

If you want to follow and obey Satan, and teach others to do so, then you will suffer His indignation and wrath on that Day.

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:6-8

• to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,

JPT

Dec 12, 2013
we always try to work out our salvation

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
Philippians 2:12;
I sometimes believe that God used certain phrases in particular applications like Jesus did with parables so as to WEED out those who really do not trust or have faith in the message.......this is one example..........almost without exception the workers for, Pharisees and Cainologists will quote this verse to say that we must work for our salvation......even though the verse grammatically states they ALREADY possess SALVATION---> "YOUR SALVATION".............FIT IT OUT, MATURE, GROW UP HAHHA..........

Oct 31, 2015
and what are those commands?

same man, same letter, 3rd chapter.

believe on the name of the Son and love one another.

so, if you believe, you are obeying.

Obeying the Lord, and His commandments, and His doctrine.

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

Are you saying we do not need to keep His commandments?

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

Are you saying we don’t need to obey His doctrine?

JPT

Oct 31, 2015
AMEN BLUE......SINNERS saved by GRACE through FAITH...............................back at ya...

Sinners are separated from from Him.

For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;
Hebrews 7:26

JPT

Oct 31, 2015
Can anyone on this thread answer?

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

JPT

Dec 12, 2013
Paul, who was inspired and writes almost half of the N.T. said the following...

a. I am the lest of the Apostles
b. I am the least of the saints
c. I AM the number one chief sinner among men

C was written toward the end of his life, was written under inspiration and is in the present tense....the reason the mercy of the Lord endures forever is because forever we will be sinners that were saved by grace through faith.....

Why callest thou me good <---stated by JESUS himself while there were SAVED, IMMERSED disciples and Apostles on the planet assembling with the Lord, working miracles, healing the sick, casting out demons

The self righteous hypocrites that think they obey the LORD non stop and that think they earn the right by their obedience need to wrap their heads around the truth.....THERE is not a JUST man upon the earth that does good and sins NOT.....and EVEN the Prophet ISAIAH said....ALL OUR RIGHTEOUSNESSES are as FILTHY RAGS and OUR INIQUITIES like the wind have taken us AWAY.....

There is NONE GOOD, NO NOT ONE.......

AND to the believer it is written.....WHERE sin ABOUNDS, GRACE abounds the more!!

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Obeying the Lord, and His commandments, and His doctrine.

JPT
I am saying I believe what John said the commands were.

do you, or was John lying, or mistaken, or just confused??

Oct 31, 2015
Paul, who was inspired and writes almost half of the N.T. said the following...

a. I am the lest of the Apostles
b. I am the least of the saints
c. I AM the number one chief sinner among men

C was written toward the end of his life, was written under inspiration and is in the present tense....the reason the mercy of the Lord endures forever is because forever we will be sinners that were saved by grace through faith.....

Why callest thou me good <---stated by JESUS himself while there were SAVED, IMMERSED disciples and Apostles on the planet assembling with the Lord, working miracles, healing the sick, casting out demons

The self righteous hypocrites that think they obey the LORD non stop and that think they earn the right by their obedience need to wrap their heads around the truth.....THERE is not a JUST man upon the earth that does good and sins NOT.....and EVEN the Prophet ISAIAH said....ALL OUR RIGHTEOUSNESSES are as FILTHY RAGS and OUR INIQUITIES like the wind have taken us AWAY.....

There is NONE GOOD, NO NOT ONE.......

AND to the believer it is written.....WHERE sin ABOUNDS, GRACE abounds the more!!

Please post the actual scripture brother.

You will then see what Paul actually said.

Please answer my question -

JPT

Oct 31, 2015

You mean these commands -

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:8

Do you believe that Christians who are liars, murderers, and so forth will have their part in the lake of fire?

JPT

Oct 31, 2015

Whoever hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

Do you believe that a brother can hate his brother and somehow still have eternal life?

JPT

Oct 31, 2015
His commands are about love.

For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. 1 John 5:3

Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,” “You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

JPT

gb9

Jan 18, 2011

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” Revelation 21:8

Do you believe that Christians who are liars, murderers, and so forth will have their part in the lake of fire?

JPT

JPT
why do you fight so hard against John's words?

why do you reject the words of a man who walked with Jesus?

John said to keep the commands. then he explained what those commands were.

I do not see a problem, but you are manufacturing one....

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
God requires obedience.

I know, because I know Him.

JLB
Do us all a favor, and list all of the things we have to do to remain saved.

Then list the things that will cause us to lose our salvation.

Be specific, as this is quite important.