Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I think fruits of the spirit depend upon the measure of the spirit we receive just like gifts of the spirit. Do all speak in tongues? do all receive discernment or dream, dreams? No! As far as works go do all do missionary work, feed and clothe the homeless? Do all do prison ministry or tend to the sick and dying? No again, but let's get back to basic Christianity 101 To those who receive much, much is expected but those who receive less, less is expected. I think works are a measure of spirituality and should be done willingly out of gratitude with thanks giving in our hearts. Nothing more nothing less.

Do we ask questions at Bible study that some may be too embarrassed to ask? Do we show up early to make coffee or stay late to clean up or fold chairs? Do we donate GOOD clothes we would not be embarrassed to wear. Do we share from the heart out of love? I don't consider myself a qualified fruit inspector. Rather an ad hoc nut inspector, trying to determine the legitimate from the crazy. Love came to me immediately upon receiving the Holy Spirit but the rest took study, education, practice and work. I say 'I' a lot because regarding personal revelation I cannot speak for others. It's easy to say the sinners prayer but putting the talk to the walk is a different matter.

Most authorities likely would think John the Baptist nuts but those who repented and got baptized got the message. Repent being the key word. Baptism of the Holy Spirit and having a true spiritual experience is far better than taking a bath and reading a book. It's undeniable and motivational. Ask the Lord for it. It changes lives and attitudes immediately. Good works will be the result. You will joyfully to do them and they will be a rewarding experience.

Feb 5, 2019
Can I asked a very basic question without being called an idiot

Can a person go to heaven without loving God?
can you go to hell for wrongly interpretation of the bible

saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.” rev 1

write what you see, when was that understand, what is written.

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
can you go to hell for wrongly interpretation of the bible

saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.” rev 1

write what you see, when was that understand, what is written.
Did you just sit down and start typing words randomly off top of your head??? What are you taking about???

Its like: We're playing football and you are on the baseball field hollaring I made a touchdown!

My question was simple ( again I will tpye slow). Can a person go to heaven without loving God?

BTW. You too did not attempt to answer my question

Goodnewsman

Jan 4, 2016
How hard those must work who believe the salvation given to them by God almighty through the ultimate sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ can be lost. What security do they have? None.
Not lost.....but left..... remember leaving your first love

unclesilas

Feb 6, 2019
Who said i was trying to impress you? Your pride is showing, your lack of humility does not impress anyone

All i did was quote what the apostle john said, so i guess the apostle john is nonsensicle also? Those where his words not mine, so your little attack of me is back on you, because you attacked the bible not me.

Your ignoring and refusing to see pauls own words in 1 cor, which proves your interpretation in error, and 1 john that said whoever lives in sin has never seen god or known him.

Your trying to make a doctrin out of one passage and refusing to bring it to agreement with all of scripture, your silly attacks do not help you, all i am doing is make scripture agree,

I use scripture to form my belief, i do not use my belief to inform my interpretation.

Giving you the benefit of th doubt, i went back and looked, nope, no response to 1 john 3, i saw one mention of 1 john 2 but it was not directed to me,
So i will give you a chance to go finf us the post where you responded or ask forgiveness for once again bearing false witness.

Your pride and areogance is showing again, your not all that, all you have to do is answer, these little comments do nothing but make you act like a spoiled brat, or someone who thinks their stuff does not stink, which one are you?

See your stuck in legalism so you can not fathom the truth

I agree, all those peopl can come to christ, and god will save them, but only if they have true faith, true faith works. While a drug addict may still need to grow and still struggle in and out of drugs, other areas of their life will change, a baby does not stop habits overnight, it takes time, thats why paul called the corinthian church babes. Needing fed milk, because they still struggled, they still lacked growth. But yet he still made it know, they were washed, they were justified, their salvation was secure, it was a completed act, WHILE they were struggling with their sin habits,

Your dangerous, if a person comes to your church and claims to come to christ, yet stull struggles with a particular sin, you will judge them or tell them to stop or else, threatening their salvation, you play God, and you have no riht, people will not grow under your standard, they will either lie, never tell you about their sin because of fear (sin in private) or give up and walk away because they can not live up to your standard,

1 john 2 is talking about people who SAID they were saved, then oeft th churxh and now deny christ, he said they were never saved (again your contextual critisism of passages is odd)

As for our conversatin

1. I asked what jesus meant
2. Your reply was jesus was not talking about habitual sinners
3. I took you to 1 john 3, where we are told people who live in sin have never been saved

Yet you still want to try to argue with me. And attack me

Why do you not show the room you can actually take a passage in context and show what it means. And make the bible agree in harmony and not contradict itself all over the place,
I will put your constant attacks on me down to your Christian immaturity. I will copy once again my previous post to you, and embolden the reference to 1John3:9
Your accusation I am trying to make a doctrine out of one passage is ludicrous.
In the post I am recopying for you, I show 1John3:9 cannot be linked to Gal5:19-21, and I can easily prove Mark 3:28 cannot be linked to Gal5:19-21 either. So your understanding of scripture is shown to be, to put it mildly lacking. I am uninterested in the rest of your post and protestations, I can only assume you wrote it for public consumption and not my own. It is full of wild inaccuracies(to be nice) and should not be taken seriously

Your little rant does not impress me. Your excuse for Gal5:19-21 is nonsensical. You wrote concerning it:

''sinners do those things it is their livelihood, believers can not live in thise sins anymore,''

Paul is writing to believers, and warning them of behaviour that would bar them from the kingdom of Heaven, as anyone with little discernment would know, apparantly, you, in your effort to stay with your false beliefs refuse to see what a child could see.
1John3:9 was responded to.
Lets make it easy for you, as you find it hard to grasp much. A person claims to have become a Christian, they are a drunk, habitual thief, and a constant blasphemer, God will accept them there and then on the basis of a righteousness of faith in Christ, but if no change subsequently takes place in them, they were never born of God in the first place(1John3:9) for they have just continued on in the sins they had before they claim to have become a Christian. Even if you cannot understand that I am confident others can. Faith without works is dead faith. 1John3:9 explained
Gal5:19-21 refers to a different scenario
People make a commitment to Christ, they receive the good news with joy. It is wonderful for them to have a saviour from sin, and they have had to do nothing to earn or deserve their salvation. But they made a shallow commitment, they did not count the cost of what following Jesus is(Luke ch14) Some change takes place in them(unlike the previous scenario), but when hardships or trials come along, their initial enthusiasm starts to wane, for they did not count the cost of discipleship. They can start drifting back into bad habits. And Paul, who obviously knew some in the Thesasalonian church could be as described warned them of the consequences of behaviour that would bar them from the kingdom of Heaven. Two different scenarios concerning 1John3:9&Gal5:19-21 But as you are having to go to ridiculous lengths to try and justify your errant beliefs continued discussion here is pointless.
BTW
There is a very good reason you cannot relate Mark3?:28 to Gal5:19-21. Lets play Bible Trivia, you are obviously excluded because you are adamant they can be linked. So the first person to give me the answer as to why they cannot be linked gets a thumbs up

Dec 27, 2018
of course the Holy Sprit gives us the Fruits of the Sprit.

but, do you manifest all of them all the time?

no, you don't, I don't, no one does.

now, you see, here is what you are trying to do- make up a formula that says how long it takes for one to manifest these fruits.

why? why is sooooo important for you to know " how long, how many years"'

because you want to judge. you think you are fruit inspector.

and. you are not saying those words, it' s the hammering of " how long , how long?"

that is how a legalist mind works- focusing on others and putting them under a formula, so you can judge them, which you have no right or authority to do so.
Personal attacks and strawman arguments.

I'm asking a simple question. DO YOU AGREE WITH POST 596 of "God Lied" or not?

I DO NOT. That's why I brought it up

A simple yes or no, or don't bother to reply.

You're the one who jumped in when you don't even know what the discussion is about, so Just answer yes or no to the bolded question above, since you are so eager to defend what Dcontroversial said.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Jesus tells us not to worry , but to trust , lean an rely on Him...
If I believed I could lose my Salvation , I would be in fear every single day , the worry would keep my mind from Jesus...
Every believer has doubts , and I believe that can be quite good for us , a place where we can check ourselves to see if we are in the faith...
We are kept by the power of God , we do not keep ourselves , as I grow in the word , my love for Jesus just grows deeper and deeper , not shallower so I can barely see Him...
Maybe those who believe they can lose their Salvation is because they are spending so much time looking for a rabbit hole instead of worshipping our LORD and Savior who has done it all...
Just wanted to write that...xox...

TruthTalk

Jul 17, 2017
Am I the only one who gets the understanding from these verses also that SOMETIMES it might be hard to SPOT between WHEAT and TARE?

Because why else would Jesus say that you may uproot the wheat with the tares if you go pluckin out the tares?

Anyone agree?
Hi Hevosmies, I just posted this verse about judging others and that God will judge the wheat from the tares. It is difficult to spot wheat and tares as you can see there are similarities for sure. On the other hand as VCO pointed out that the guy who is a tare sitting next to us at Church he also needs God's love and salvation and I agree.

In another post you wrote that you were sad, what happened to cause your sadness are you doing okay?

The parable of the wheat and the tares tells us that God will sort out the real from the fake

Matthew 13:30 the parable of the weeds
Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn

unclesilas

Feb 6, 2019
No worries and thank you. I didn't take it personally. I don't believe salvation can be simply lost like a set of keys or through carelessness and I can only speak for myself. I'm not trying to defend any doctrine. But I think it can be discarded or abused thinking like one can commit grievous sins then use salvation like a trump card to stay out of hell. God isn't stupid he can see right through the charade and what he does about it is up to him. That's all.
Thank you for your response, which I agree with. Glad you are on this website, God bless

unclesilas

Feb 6, 2019
Jesus tells us not to worry , but to trust , lean an rely on Him...
If I believed I could lose my Salvation , I would be in fear every single day , the worry would keep my mind from Jesus...
Every believer has doubts , and I believe that can be quite good for us , a place where we can check ourselves to see if we are in the faith...
We are kept by the power of God , we do not keep ourselves , as I grow in the word , my love for Jesus just grows deeper and deeper , not shallower so I can barely see Him...
Maybe those who believe they can lose their Salvation is because they are spending so much time looking for a rabbit hole instead of worshipping our LORD and Savior who has done it all...
Just wanted to write that...xox...
Decades ago, I chatted to someone once, and told them I feared I may lose my salvation. They told me, the fact I thought like that proved I had not lost it.

E

eternally-gratefull

Can I asked a very basic question without being called an idiot

Can a person go to heaven without loving God?
Yes,

Because not one person had the capacity to love god before they were saved, the theif on the cross did not love god, he could not, and even then, the moment they were saved, they still do not have the capacity to love god,
we love because he loved us first,

To love someone you have to know them, it may take years for a person to get to know god in order to have the capacity to truly love god,

A baby does not love his or her parents, they depend on them to supply their needs, love does not happen until the baby grows.

Ps, sorry if you were called an idiot, that kind of stuff should not be.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Decades ago, I chatted to someone once, and told them I feared I may lose my salvation. They told me, the fact I thought like that proved I had not lost it.
I understand that...
I have been walking with our LORD for three years now , and after the first year , I was all over the place , one day I believed I was saved , the next I believed I was not , until God opened His promises to me and showed me not to fear , to trust Him...
I came into this thread still not knowing much , I was like a reed , blowing back and forth...Then every time I made an error with the word , my brothers and sisters in here would correct me , some kindly , some sternly , so I would go away with my face down and search the Scriptures , and thank God He directed me on His path , and I thank those here in this forum who helped me so much...xox...

Argueless

Oct 21, 2018
Hi brother...
Beautiful Scriptures spoken by our Lord , to those who are IN Christ Jesus...xox...
Amen.

... We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. 1 John 2:3-6

unclesilas

Feb 6, 2019
I understand that...
I have been walking with our LORD for three years now , and after the first year , I was all over the place , one day I believed I was saved , the next I believed I was not , until God opened His promises to me and showed me not to fear , to trust Him...
I came into this thread still not knowing much , I was like a reed , blowing back and forth...Then every time I made an error with the word , my brothers and sisters in here would correct me , some kindly , some sternly , so I would go away with my face down and search the Scriptures , and thank God He directed me on His path , and I thank those here in this forum who helped me so much...xox...
That was nice to read. I hope you do not mind me saying this. It may be good to check with your minister anything people tell you on this website. I doubt there are many bona fide ministers on it.

E

eternally-gratefull

Did anybody else notice that you did not even attempt to answer the question.

Try not to use words like"so in other words". Let the Bible speak for itself

I know why you want to avoid this question because it goes contrary to what you believe
Who is he who ovwrcomes the world?

He who does many works?

He who keeps himself from sin?

He who does not do certain sins? Even though he commits others?

1 john 5:4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the worldour faith.

Oh by the way, your also being dishonest, i responded to your post as a whole you failed to include that in this comment, i answered your post with a question, which again you still have not answered, so dont judge people when you have done the same thing, i understand your upset because you feel attacked and name called, and it gets frustrating (i am having the same issue with another member) but please. Lets try to stick on topic. If you have a question you feel i did not answer, just ask me, don’t act like others, i never claimed to be perfect

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
Hi Hevosmies, I just posted this verse about judging others and that God will judge the wheat from the tares. It is difficult to spot wheat and tares as you can see there are similarities for sure. On the other hand as VCO pointed out that the guy who is a tare sitting next to us at Church he also needs God's love and salvation and I agree.

In another post you wrote that you were sad, what happened to cause your sadness are you doing okay?
Thanks brother. I agree.

As for sadness many things feel like are piling up, loss of a loved one, physical ailments (and no money to fix em), and financial trouble ever since the government decided to change the rental system where now they can gauge you over 900euros for a ONE BEDROOM apartment!

I know its petty, I dont know why i wrote that, i was in an emotional state, SORRY, i should THANK GOD that i can WALK and TALK. Maybe CS1 can remove that post if he deems it wrong!

E

eternally-gratefull

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

_______

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world

_______

For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
Thanks for answering bro.

E

eternally-gratefull

Eg never implied God can't make us new... (1 of your strawmen)

you conflate physical death with eternal hellfire

you are in error about the son who was perceived as dead (but living all the while)

also... God promises to NOT blot the names out of the book of life to ALL who overcome <- Jesus overcame

and it is His righteousness imputed to us that justifies us

we overcome by faith in Him
He who believes is not condemned

He who does not believe is condemned already

The only thing that will cause god to blot a persons name is to die in unbelief. Which means that person remained in a condemned state.