Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Interesting question. If one gave all to the poor is this a vow of poverty?
If one walked out on all ones ties, does this mean in the rest of life there are no more ties?

I suspect someone is being a mocker and cynic, but hey, would not expect encouragement
to do the things of God from someone who did not believe in them.
what do you know?

you do not even properly define sin.

how can you properly speak of not sinning when you do not even recognize what sin is?

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Works of righteousness in Titus 3 are good deeds. The law is not in context of anythign paul said in titus.

He also said it is GOD who washes us, The law could never wash anyone.
The old law was commanded by God and no one could be a child of God without obeying it.

The old law cleaned the people outwardly and it was required.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
True enough. Special case. And still applicable today on a case by case basis IMO but not universal.
True that we must in our heart and mind put nothing before being saved; but, we are not expected to leave our families and our homes and not have anything. That was to those who would travel with Jesus and help lay the foundation.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Maybe think about who Gb9 was talking about.
I think he is referring to the rich young ruler.
The guy who says he kept all the commandments.
The rich young man was asked to be a traveling minister with Jesus. Jesus knew the rich man loved his riches more than God who was standing in the flesh before him.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
neither does works or the Law or the Sabbath.
The purification/ceremonial works of the law used to have to be done.
There is no getting around that.
A person had to be ceremonially clean or they could not go to the temple where God's Spirit was.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
A humble heart one says, another says a purified heart.

Does not the scriptures say a new heart? A new nature? The old passed away. And the new is come.
Translated from one kingdoms harsh rule that only caused fear to a kingdom of light and love.

What concerns me most is the anti christ person who is coming. This is 666, a total man. But, a deceiver. Will look outwardly to have power of some sort, but nothing that heals and transforms.

If one thinks only of being purified without death to what we were, and risen in Him, then one may well be deceived.

Do you think you are a good person? But, Jesus makes you better? Beware!

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
A humble heart one says, another says a purified heart.

Does not the scriptures say a new heart? A new nature? The old passed away. And the new is come.
A person cannot get that kind of heart unless they are saved, after repenting of sins and believing.
We are told to humble ourselves and repent of our sins.
Translated from one kingdoms harsh rule that only caused fear to a kingdom of light and love.
We still have to obey God, and He tells us more than just believe and do nothing.
What concerns me most is the anti christ person who is coming. This is 666, a total man. But, a deceiver. Will look outwardly to have power of some sort, but nothing that heals and transforms.

If one thinks only of being purified without death to what we were, and risen in Him, then one may well be deceived.

Do you think you are a good person? But, Jesus makes you better? Beware!
It is the good person whom Jesus saves. Jesus tells us how.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
A person cannot get that kind of heart unless they are saved, after repenting of sins and believing.
We are told to humble ourselves and repent of our sins.

We still have to obey God, and He tells us more than just believe and do nothing.

It is the good person whom Jesus saves. Jesus tells us how.
yes, He does.

whosover believes in Him ( Himself ) will be saved.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
yes, He does.

whosover believes in Him ( Himself ) will be saved.
Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.
We have to believe that we have to obey this man Jesus who is God in the flesh.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
Faith alone is dead and cannot save.

James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Faith alone is dead and cannot save anyone.
We have to believe that we have to obey this man Jesus who is God in the flesh.
so, when Jesus said believe in Him, and you will be saved, you choose not to think this not an accurate statement.
o.k.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
right.

after one is saved, then they will start to do good works.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
so, when Jesus said believe in Him, and you will be saved, you choose not to think this not an accurate statement.
o.k.
You have misunderstood what I said.
All the scriptures that say to 'believe' and 'have faith', those scriptures do not nullify the scriptures that say to obey him.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Those scriptures do not say that; those scriptures say you have to believe and obey to be saved.
nope.

believing in Christ saves.

then a person will do good works, i.e. obedience.

the 2 are separate things.

we are saved by grace through faith for good works.

you are saying that faith and good works produce grace.

that is false.

YourTruthGod

Mar 9, 2019
We are blessed as a disciple, family member, and friend if we do what Jesus says.

Luke 11:28 He replied, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it."

Matthew 12:50 For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

John 15:14 You are my friends if you do what I command.