Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 6, 2014
All of your verses are wonderful, and I agree with all, (of course), but there is MORE.

Titus 2:14- 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 John 2:29- If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1 Peter 2:25- For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Romans 8:2-For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Hebrews 7:25- Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Romans 5:10- For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Philippians 1:6- Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

James 3:13-18

Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
EVERYONE WHO THINKS OUR WORKS COME FIRST AND THEN SALVATION, look at THE PAST TENSE VERBIAGE of this verse:

1 John 2:29 (ESV)
29 If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.

Looks to me like YOU HAVE PUT THE CART ahead of the HORSE.

The HORSE is has been born of him {SALVATION}, and that horse is pulling the CART, of practicing righteousness.

That should be an ironclad CHECKMATE !

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
EVERYONE WHO THINKS OUR WORKS COME FIRST AND THEN SALVATION, look at THE PAST TENSE VERBIAGE of this verse:

29 If you know that he is righteous, you may be sure that everyone who practices righteousness has been born of him.

The HORSE is has been born of him {SALVATION}, and that horse is pulling the CART, of practicing righteousness.

I have not met someone who thinks we can walk in Gods ways before we come to faith.
I would though say Cornelius

5 The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.
Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter.
Acts 10

Also the people of Nineveh repented of their sin, but did not appear to have faith as we would describe it.

I have always felt meeting Jesus leads to a conviction of sin, which flows into a change of life and heart.
I have yet to meet a group who think a change of life comes before faith, because why change if God is
not part of the experience.

So who do you think is holding that faith does not come first?

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
There is only one ultimate sacrifice for the sins of mankind. Jesus Christ the Son of God. There is no other sacrifice which can wipe sin away and for always.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013

He or she, either does not know that he is Sinning, or does not care. He keeps changing his name, after getting Banned, and starts the same M.O. It is best if we JUST ignore his insulting Negative Reviews.

Romans 12:19 (GW)
19 Don't take revenge, dear friends. Instead, let God's anger take care of it. After all, Scripture says, “I alone have the right to take revenge. I will pay back, says the Lord.”

2 Thessalonians 1:8 (GW)
8 He will take revenge on those who refuse to acknowledge God and on those who refuse to respond to the Good News about our Lord Jesus.

Proverbs 9:8 (GW)
8 Do not warn a mocker, or he will hate you. Warn a wise person, and he will love you.

Proverbs 27:11 (GW)
11 Be wise, my son, and make my heart glad so that I can answer anyone who criticizes me.

1 Peter 2:23 (GW)
23 Christ never verbally abused those who verbally abused him. When he suffered, he didn't make any threats but left everything to the one who judges fairly.

God will repay!

Dec 27, 2018
James 3:13-18
Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. 14But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth. 15This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work. 17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. 18And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.
Now I did not say what you are implying, did I ? ? ?

And everyone who practices righteousness WILL get better at it, just like an athelete. However we will not be capable of playing a perfect game until after the RESURRECTION.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (HCSB)
24 Don’t you know that the runners in a stadium all race, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way to win the prize.
25 Now everyone who competes exercises self-control in everything. However, they do it to receive a crown that will fade away, but we a crown that will never fade away.
26 Therefore I do not run like one who runs aimlessly or box like one beating the air.
27 Instead, I discipline my body and bring it under strict control, so that after preaching to others, I myself will not be disqualified.

OBEDIENCE is a byproduct of LOVE, a GIVEN.

John 14:15 (HCSB)
15 “If you love Me, you will keep My commands.

PERIOD!
I didn't imply anything. Just commenting on the topic :)

Dec 27, 2018

Yes, only those who have been born of God can please God, and regeneration is wholly the work of God to begin with.

Dec 27, 2018
I have not met someone who thinks we can walk in Gods ways before we come to faith.

5 The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.
Acts 10

Also the people of Nineveh repented of their sin, but did not appear to have faith as we would describe it.

I have always felt meeting Jesus leads to a conviction of sin, which flows into a change of life and heart.
I have yet to meet a group who think a change of life comes before faith, because why change if God is

Yes, I'd kind of like to know who is saying works come before faith...:confused:

Dec 27, 2018

Acts 10

Cornelius had been taught and led of GOD all the way to the door, but could not enter until he heard the Gospel of salvation. Everyone who has learned and been taught of God comes to Jesus. (John 6:45). This is an example of one who has been prepared by Grace beforehand to receive the Gospel. God prepares and prepared people in many ways, including through the Law that could not save, but could only awaken the heart to the need of a Saviour, and also the Law of conscience.

I am also reminded that it was needful for John Baptist to come and prepare the hearts of the people to receive Jesus, and some were not able to receive HIm, because they had been hardened through rejecting the Light that they had already been given

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Cornelius had been taught and led of GOD all the way to the door, but could not enter until he heard the Gospel of salvation. Everyone who has learned and been taught of God comes to Jesus. (John 6:45). This is an example of one who has been prepared by Grace beforehand to receive the Gospel. God prepares and prepared people in many ways, including through the Law that could not save and the Law of conscience.
I like Cornelius because it highlights God speaks to people despite our black and white views on
redemption and lostness. I have met some who claim unless you are a "believer" nothing you do
is good or carries recognition by God. Clearly Cornelius did actions that God took note of, and
the idea all deeds are evil is clearly wrong.

Dec 27, 2018
I like Cornelius because it highlights God speaks to people despite our black and white views on
redemption and lostness. I have met some who claim unless you are a "believer" nothing you do
is good or carries recognition by God. Clearly Cornelius did actions that God took note of, and
But yet Cornelius' goodness was all of Grace as well. He had been already taught of God and was at the door because He had learned from the Father, but needed to hear the Gospel to enter into salvation.

Everyone who has learned of God comes to Jesus. (John 6:45)

Dec 27, 2018
I will also add that not all deeds by unsaved people are evil, but nothing we do in ourselves can commend us to God or save us. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God, BUT we are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if the Spirit of Christ dwells in us.

Cornelius had been taught of God and had been faithful to the Light he had received. He was at the door, but needed to hear the Gospel of salvation in order to enter. He was not saved, but was ripe for saving. He just needed to hear the Gospel. How many opportunities do we miss, because people who are ripe for salvation are ignored or neglected by us.

John 4:35- Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.

Dec 12, 2013
I hope you are ok bro
Thanks MIGO hahahah little sore...neck, right shoulder, arm, elbow, sternum and cut thumb full length.......I was like...wow that hurt HAHAH got right up and went back to work....no time to lay around on the ground in pain HAHAHHAHAHHAHA......probably be stiff tomorrow.....and NO....I did not cuss....HAHAHHAH ;)