Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

DJ3

Jun 22, 2019
Your version...For God so loved the word that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believes in him, does great works, never sins, is baptized, sprinkled, speaks in tongues, says 57 hail marys, gives 10 percent, back flips down the isle while singing 57 verses of just as I am while helping Jesus keep his promises and maintaining salvation by self effort and self justification MIGHT NOT PERISH and with little hope and some good luck will have everlasting life.......if the are lucky
And here is the difference between you and I.

If the scriptures did say such a thing I would simply accept it and obey. You on the other hand would try to filter it through your faith alone theology and find some awkward way to get it to mean something else.

John 15:10 New International Version (NIV)
If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

The blessing: Remaining in the love of Jesus.
The means: Keep his commands.

Eli12

Jul 3, 2019
Luk 6:46 "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you?

It is very easy to call Jesus as Lord. Some people think that's enough.

DJ3

Jun 22, 2019
Salvation is all God, all we do is accept it is all of God

hope this clears up everything
It seems that by your logic if it's all God then God should also do the accepting. That way we cannot boast that we choose to do the right thing and accepted. Correct?

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
It was said TO PAUL: “My grace is sufficient for you". I don't think that applies to everybody, as neither what was told about him before:

Act 9:16 (ESV) For I will show him how much he must suffer for the sake of my name."

Living without works is not suffering at all. Jesus talked about following him, sufferings included ... How different would have been the whole history of christianity if works would have been put apart!!!

You know it would have been MUCH EASIER if I had noted the discussions of the past and referred you to those posts.
BUT at least YOU came up with a NEW TWIST of Scripture that I have not seen before.

So you do not think that JESUS instruction to PAUL, apply to US. OH MY! Why would GOD INSPIRE THAT to be written, IF IT ONLY APPLIED TO PAUL.

OBEDIENCE IS PART OF LOVE FOR GOD, that spawns from HIS LOVE THAT HE HAD THE HOLY SPIRIT POUR INTO OUR HEART. How on GOD's Green Earth do you THINK that it applies to SALVATION, when THAT TOOK PLACE BEFORE TIME BEGAN.

2 Timothy 1:9 (HCSB)
9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

OBEDIENCE is what we do AFTER WE ARE SAVED, not Something we do to get saved. WHAT PART PART of a FREE GIFT FROM GOD, do you not understand.

Romans 5:5 (HCSB)
5 This hope will not disappoint ⌊us⌋, because God’s love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

1 John 5:3 (HCSB)
3 For this is what love for God [Born Again] is: to keep His commands [What you do by Nature after you are SAVED].
Now His commands are not a burden,

SINCE IT IS NOT A BURDEN, THAT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN IT IS GENUINELY AN ACT OF GOD GIVEN LOVE, AFTER YOU ARE SAVED.

Eli12

Jul 3, 2019
I'm working on my salvation ... I'm glad some people think they already gained it ... How did they that? I don't know how they did it.
I do prefer stay working on mine. ;)

Eli12

Jul 3, 2019
I find this words of Paul very interesting:

Php 3:13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.
16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

Paul didn't believe he already had what he was searching for ... no matter how many things happened before that moment he said it. How is it that so many people think they did already? Have done they more than Paul when he said that? Was Paul lacking faith, or he was thinking on something else?

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Enough is an "indefinite pronoun" not a verb.

Insufficient is an antonym of enough.........I would then state that "enough" synonym for "sufficient"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sufficient
Sufficient definition is - enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end. How to use sufficient in a sentence. Synonym Discussion of sufficient.
I have shown you this before, IT IS A VERB IN BLUE LETTER BIBLE:

1563771566687.png

It says that it is Present Active Indicative VERB.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
And the BLUE LETTER BIBLE SAYS THE PRIMARY VERB TENSES ARE:

The Present Tense
The Imperfect Tense
The Aorist Tense
The Future Tense
The Perfect Tense
The Pluperfect Tense

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
You are if you follow their beliefs.
NEITHER AM I A CALVINIST, I only Believe in 3 of the 5 points of Calvinism.

They do not want to consider me a Calvinists, and I think both the Calvinists and Armenians have about the same number of theories WRONG.

So want am I? I am a Conservative Evengelical, so you can call me a NORMAL BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN.
We BURIED THAT CALVINIST and ARMENIAN ridiculous ARGUMENT Decades AGO.

Eli12

Jul 3, 2019
Romans 3:23

Isaiah 40:8

when you get there, tell us, we would like to hear about it
I just don't think I can declare saved myself without fighting for my salvation. I see this way is how christians did in the first century.
I would never think that my salvation depends on how some persons interpret the Scriptures. It is Jesus who will declare people saved or not, and he himself said that there are a lot of "christians" that won't be ... and he mentioned a very interesting expression: "workers of lawlessness" in Mat 7:23 (ESV). That expression has to do with works, doesn't it?

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
I find this words of Paul very interesting:

Php 3:13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.
16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

Paul didn't believe he already had what he was searching for ... no matter how many things happened before that moment he said it. How is it that so many people think they did already? Have done they more than Paul when he said that? Was Paul lacking faith, or he was thinking on something else?
I agree with you, Paul did not think or know if he had achieved perfection or that knowing mattered.
He was driven by a clear conscience and pressing onward.

But Paul knew Jesus and it is this which is the foundation.
Jesus never presumes anything, everything was given to the Father, and everything was thought and talked through.

I have been impressed that we talk about the Lord being all knowing, yet He desires to discuss and balance out responses.
In the world of the infinite, choice may be more important than outcomes. So choosing to walk with Jesus matters more
than the how we walk. The direction of travel matters more than the quality of the road or the problems along the way.

This is why those who talk against walking in Gods way and will are such a problem when they condemn and oppose
those who desire to do exactly that. And these individuals do not see that their condemnation puts them on the
wrong side of the will of God. Jesus criticised the pharisees for their hearts and hypocrisy not their desire to follow
God.

U

UnderGrace

I just don't think I can declare saved myself without fighting for my salvation. I see this way is how christians did in the first century.
I would never think that my salvation depends on how some persons interpret the Scriptures. It is Jesus who will declare people saved or not, and he himself said that there are a lot of "christians" that won't be ... and he mentioned a very interesting expression: "workers of lawlessness" in Mat 7:23 (ESV). That expression has to do with works, doesn't it?

I just don't think I can declare saved myself without fighting for my salvation
According to scripture you have entered into a losing battle.

Best to give up and trust Jesus completely for your salvation.

E

eternally-gratefull

And here is the difference between you and I.

If the scriptures did say such a thing I would simply accept it and obey. You on the other hand would try to filter it through your faith alone theology and find some awkward way to get it to mean something else.

John 15:10 New International Version (NIV)
If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

The blessing: Remaining in the love of Jesus.
The means: Keep his commands.
Yet scripture does say it, and you reject it.