Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul is not teaching that even if our faith is genuine that our faith cannot save us without producing "enough" love. Paul is stressing the importance of love, not teaching that faith is insufficient to save us without producing enough love. Love is the greater quality of the three because God is love and it outlasts them all. Long after faith and hope are no longer necessary in eternity with the Lord, love will still be the governing principle that controls all that God and his saints are and do. We won't need faith and hope then.
(y)
In summary, Paul is saying, without love we are nothing.

Faith works through love and good works are produced from love, so you are making this out to be more complicated than it really is.
(y)
Again, without love (works), we are nothing

MUST or else? Or WILL? So man is saved through faith AND love? How much love does it take?
(y)
Faith is not love, so without love, faith (that assurance for salvation) means nothing

James said what does it profit a man though he claims to have faith yet he has no works? (James 2:14) Again, faith works through love, so you cannot dissect good works are being the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of authentic faith in Christ.
Just replace the word love with works then you'll get it.

Giving based on the motivation of getting is pride. Our motivation for giving is love and not pride and expectation to receive salvation based on the merits of our works.
Giving because you are assured of salvation should be the pinnacle of pride and not humility.

Why would Jesus need faith in Himself? Jesus is God. You cannot dissect good works from being the fruit of faith (Matthew 7:17-20; James 2:14-26) and faith works through love.

Yet genuine believers are not without love. (Romans 5:5; 1 John 4:7)
So Jesus did not have faith in Christ but produced good works, why do you think your faith in Christ produces good works?

Dec 12, 2013
Faith comes from Love, not the other way round. Read again what you have quoted.

If i have faith (hope and assurance for salvation) and sleep for 70 years, i will still wake up with the same faith.
But i can not claim to love and sleep for 70 years, i must act (works).
The works that come from hope and assurance for salvation are also called pride. Pride is for satan.
FALSE ALERT the above is false and you have no idea do you....

IT is NOT that we loved HIM, but that HE LOVED US AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR US

FAITH comes from GOD and is dealt in MEASURE to men.....LOVE is a BY PRODUCT of being BORN AGAIN and is a process of growth and maturity AFTER one has been saved....

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
FALSE ALERT the above is false and you have no idea do you....

IT is NOT that we loved HIM, but that HE LOVED US AND GAVE HIMSELF FOR US

FAITH comes from GOD and is dealt in MEASURE to men.....LOVE is a BY PRODUCT of being BORN AGAIN and is a process of growth and maturity AFTER one has been saved....
But we can only know Him (Faith) by loving one another:

1 John 4:
7Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

9This is how God’s love was revealed among us: God sent His one and only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him. 10And love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us. 13By this we know that we remain in Him, and He in us:

Dec 12, 2013
But we can only know Him (Faith) by loving one another:

1 John 4:
7Beloved, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

9This is how God’s love was revealed among us: God sent His one and only Son into the world, so that we might live through Him. 10And love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God remains in us, and His love is perfected in us. 13By this we know that we remain in Him, and He in us:
False.....you are conflating two issues into a false dogma......FAITH-->SALVATION--->LOVE-->PROCESS of growth and maturity<--LET the LOVE of GOD be perfected (MATURED) IN YOU......

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
False.....you are conflating two issues into a false dogma......FAITH-->SALVATION--->LOVE-->PROCESS of growth and maturity<--LET the LOVE of GOD be perfected (MATURED) IN YOU......
So, without love we are nothing regardless of faith we have.

Jul 17, 2019
I'm sure Undergrace can testify that once I learned the truth of grace-sanctification, I can start to sense what "completeness" might feels like, and she can probably tell that after having better understanding of grace, I am happier since and I understand the common anxiety of "works" aimed toward salvation.
Works create a sense of "purpose" for the flesh, and what purpose can feel "higher" than "for salvation". (especially in human perspective)

For salvation, before born again, the flesh is hostile to God (Romans 8:7)
After the moment of being born again, the flesh is jealous of Jesus as if Jesus is "a credit hog".

God is neither pleased with pride or hatred.
True spiritual contentment is never a vocabulary for the flesh, nor can it ever be.

The final diagnosis of the majority: Jesus gets ALL the credit for salvation, and we need to learn to be content with that truth and graciously, humbly accept that truth, bow down to it, be thankful for it and "revere Jesus as Lord"

DeighAnn

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
Jun 11, 2019
I am blind to the letter of the words and verses being presented, now whatever I read I find myself being confused.
For me, that is not of the Lord. God is not the author of confusion. I feel if we were meant to all be robots believing and doing and feeling the same things, there would not be different gifts, That one fact alone is all I personally need. Having been filled up with both sides here NO MATTER what is right for me, it is wrong for others, and until the Holy Spirit convicts me of an error, I see it like this.
For those on the
Salvation attained through Grace - no work allowed
Righteousness attained through Christ- no work allowed
Justified through Christ - no work allowed
Sanctified through Christ- no work allowed

ONLY leads to

Faith requires works and by works a man is justified (or declared to be righteous) which is of the salvation and sanctification afforded through Grace by which is the gift from Christ that no works of ours can bring forth.

We do go round in circles, 5157 pages 103,100 plus posts.

And in conclusion the simple truth to it all is NO GOOD FRUIT (no good works) amounts to a false belief in ones own salvation leading to Jesus saying to many:

I NEVER KNEW YOU, (they never have "known" Him)
no matter what they claim, put forth, or proclaim,
write, or try to convince with, or
quote from the Good Book.
No matter how religious or truthful it comes across because

THEY BELIEVE A LIE OF THEIR own - SALVATION, they believe and they profess it for the world to witness, which they believe makes it true, but it does not. They believe they can do and say anything to anyone their entire lives even to Gods children and it is ok, which isn't true. They believe there will be no accounting for who they are as it has already been taken care of and can not be taken away, which isn't true. No works, evil works, just doesn't and never will matter which isn't true. There is no law they can not break because there is no accounting of it ever, as it already was which isn't true. (freewill would be negated) There is no evil too evil. We experience the fruit of those false beliefs and ideas.

What is the answer to the many that are to be "gathered as chaff to be burned" or "a branch cut off" or all the other "lost salvation" verses to be accounted for?

I don't know, you don't know, they don't know (as proven by the length of this thread) God does. I suspect is it a warning to those who DO NOT stop to ask themselves "am I loving my brother" "am I doing to the least as they are Christ to me" are my fruits peace, charity, joy,....and am I making those the most important things I produce so that others see my light shine?

They have never been truly justified, no matter how loud they may scream and stomp the feet and "tell you" what it all "actually" means. They are only claiming to have faith.

We are told God has "blinded". Not a good thing to follow. God has told us there will be false doctrines and false teacher. Not good to argue. God has given instruction on what to do in said situations, do you know and follow them?

And in conclusion, to all fellowservants, Follow Gods instructions to us and use the FRUIT TO DISCERN BETWEEN good and evil -

And I now exit out of the un productive for the Lord circle .
2 churches of the end times that God approved of, what are they teaching? Does it in fact relate directly to this? Yes, directly.

May Elohim protect and keep you as one of His own, and humble and open the eyes and ears of anyone who may be deceived, including me Lord, including me.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
I'm sure Undergrace can testify that once I learned the truth of grace-sanctification, I can start to sense what "completeness" might feels like, and she can probably tell that after having better understanding of grace, I am happier since and I understand the common anxiety of "works" aimed toward salvation.
Works create a sense of "purpose" for the flesh, and what purpose can feel "higher" than "for salvation". (especially in human perspective)

For salvation, before born again, the flesh is hostile to God (Romans 8:7)
After the moment of being born again, the flesh is jealous of Jesus as if Jesus is "a credit hog".

God is neither pleased with pride or hatred.
True spiritual contentment is never a vocabulary for the flesh, nor can it ever be.

The final diagnosis of the majority: Jesus gets ALL the credit for salvation, and we need to learn to be content with that truth and graciously, humbly accept that truth, bow down to it, be thankful for it and "revere Jesus as Lord"
Then you don't know what pride is.

If a brother/sister came to you with a need and you helped them, is it out of faith (Assurance and hope for salvation) or love?
Isn't this a good work?

U

UnderGrace

Salvation attained through Grace - no work allowed
Firstly, Salvation is received, not attained

Secondly salvation (gift) is received by grace through faith and not by works. Ephesians 2:8

Faith does not involve works, faith is being persuaded that something is true, I am sure you have faith in the reality that you exist, work has nothing to contribute to that faith.

It is really important to keep whole concepts intact and not splice and dice

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Even stones and minerals have faith in Christ (Rom 8:18-23), but what can differentiate us from them? Are we not much more than stones?

DJ3

Jun 22, 2019
People have not explained OSAS very well, so I will add the caveat like this: "Provided the believer does not turn away from God of their own free will OSAS is true."
This is well said. Simple and true.

How could someone disagree with such a straightforward thought?

You will forever be saved as long as you do not turn away from God.

Dec 12, 2013
This is well said. Simple and true.

How could someone disagree with such a straightforward thought?

You will forever be saved as long as you do not turn away from God.
Except that it is false.......!!