Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
john 6

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

hath/has

2192. echó
Strong's Concordance
echó: to have, hold​
Original Word: ἔχω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: echó
Phonetic Spelling: (ekh'-o)
Definition: to have, hold
Usage: I have, hold, possess.

^
Present.​

E

eternally-gratefull

john 6

47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

hath/has

2192. echó
Strong's Concordance​
echó: to have, hold

Original Word: ἔχω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: echó
Phonetic Spelling: (ekh'-o)
Definition: to have, hold
Usage: I have, hold, possess.

^
Present.​
So much for working for something, and not having it UNTIL we die.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
If charity is love in action, then it is God that loves you first. How can one love someone or others if they don't have the love of God.

Romans 5:8 King James Version (KJV)
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
It is a command you MUST keep to abide in His love (atoning works of the cross). God does not command you and then cause you to keep the commandment. He can help you but after you obey.

John 13:34A new commandment I give you:Love one another. As I have loved you, so also youmust love one another.

Dec 12, 2013
Those that add and embellish the word of God are going to pay the ultimate price.....Satan did the same thing in the garden...........!!!!

Aug 17, 2019
It does not get any plainer..........Our righteous works have ZERO to do with Salvation!

English Standard Version
he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Berean Study Bible
He saved us, not by the righteous deeds we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of new birth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

Berean Literal Bible
He saved us, not by works in righteousness that we did, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

New American Standard Bible
He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

King James Bible
Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
If it's not by righteous works which we all know that by ourselves alone is not possible, does it make sense that by unrighteousness that we are capable of doing that we can be saved? What is your point?

A simple minded person like me would think that I don't need to be righteous to be saved.

Honestly, would God save the unrighteous or the wicked/evildoers according to the scriptures? Just asking.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
If it's not by righteous works which we all know that by ourselves alone is not possible, does it make sense that by unrighteousness that we are capable of doing that we can be saved? What is your point?

A simple minded person like me would think that I don't need to be righteous to be saved.

Honestly, would God save the unrighteous or the wicked/evildoers according to the scriptures? Just asking.
romans 9

30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

_________

Romans 10
1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.

2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.

3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

1 John 3:4
4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Galatians 2:16
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Isaiah 53
1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
_________

John 10
1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them.

9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.

13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.

14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

19 There was a division therefore again among the Jews for these sayings.

E

eternally-gratefull

Would it not be better, to go by the law. And understand you ARE unrighteous. So WHY is WHY you need to be saved?

And after we are saved, would it not be better to realize that you STILL are not righteous an focus on walking towards that goal by doing it Gods way (seeking after the spirit and LOVE) on a daily basis (paul called it to run the race) and not get to cokcy and think you have ever made it?

E

eternally-gratefull

NIV1984 2 John 1:6
And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
Love causes obedience, it is not obedience

We love God, so we obey him

We love our neighbor so we serve them and not sin against them

We love our family so we serve them and not sin against them

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Perhaps you could read the Gospel of John and see how often "believe" is used and how often obedience is used, and see the central message there in..... and
then you may want to retract that statement.
I feared God and was imprisoned by religiosity and the thought of God’s wrath. Then one day I read John 14:1-7. Afterwards I took a walk in my local park and pondered Jesus‘s words. Suddenly the veil was lifted from my eyes and heart, and I rejoiced in a manner that cannot be expressed accurately in words. It was at that moment I realized we are saved by grace through faith, and that God‘s love, not his wrath, is my eternal future, and the eternal future of everyone who places their faith in Jesus.

U

UnderGrace

I feared God and was imprisoned by religiosity and the thought of God’s wrath. Then one day I read John 14:1-7. Afterwards I took a walk in my local park and pondered Jesus‘s words. Suddenly the veil was lifted from my eyes and heart, and I rejoiced in a manner that cannot be expressed accurately in words. It was at that moment I realized we are saved by grace through faith, and that God‘s love, not his wrath, is my eternal future, and the eternal future of everyone who places their faith in Jesus.
God is amazing ... it is His truth and love that sets us free .... He sets us free from whatever our bondage is. Amen!!

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019

Jesus teaches us that the shepherd will leave 99 sheep to find the one that is lost. And when he finds the lost sheep and returns home with it, everyone rejoices. It is the work of God, not us that saves and keeps us saved.

E

eternally-gratefull

Jesus teaches us that the shepherd will leave 99 sheep to find the one that is lost. And when he finds the lost sheep and returns home with it, everyone rejoices. It is the work of God, not us that saves and keeps us saved.
Amen

He also says his sheep hear his voice, and follow.. It does not say his sheep may hear his voice and has free will and walk away

His true sheep hear and follow because they TRUST HIM, not because they do not have free will. Where your heart is that is where you will go.. A sheeps heart is with his shepherd

Aug 17, 2019
Amen. So you believe that it is God who saves, i agree. If the glory belongs to God, how do you glorify God?

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Amen. So you believe that it is God who saves, i agree. If the glory belongs to God, how do you glorify God?
We glorify God by keeping the greatest commandment, loving Him with all our heart, mind, strength and soul, and loving our neighbors as ourselves. That love is fruit, not works. ❤️

Aug 17, 2019
We glorify God by keeping the greatest commandment, loving Him with all our heart, mind, strength and soul, and loving our neighbors as ourselves. That love is fruit, not works. ❤️
NIV1984 John 17:6-10
“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

I praise God for His LOVE endures forever. Amen!

NIV1984 1 Corinthians 13:1-3
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Once you know the level of love and life in Jesus, why would you return to evil deeds. Just remember this, evil is death, not a nice small thing, but death.

We are free in Christ to worship and serve him. But many are happy to accept there position yet do nothing or even know that there hearts can lift in worship of Him.

So friends, he has saved you confess this. You will begin to feel the reality within, praise the Lord
And you base your assumption in paragraph 2, sentence on what?

Dec 12, 2013

God saves wicked men every time he saves someone......dwell on that a bit and use your head with the rest.......