Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 12, 2013
NIV1984 2 John 1:6
And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
IS <---a BE VERB......my bible states that LOVE IS a spiritual GIFT and a process of growth and maturity AFTER one has been saved......

Dec 12, 2013
Love causes obedience, it is not obedience

We love God, so we obey him

We love our neighbor so we serve them and not sin against them

We love our family so we serve them and not sin against them
Looks like we have another legalistic, working for, self saving one with ocular difficulties........

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
It is a command you MUST keep to abide in His love (atoning works of the cross). God does not command you and then cause you to keep the commandment. He can help you but after you obey.

John 13:34A new commandment I give you:Love one another. As I have loved you, so also youmust love one another.
Yep, it is acommand to love one another that the passage to mean to Peter and his disciples who had already experienced the loved of Christ. Actually, john 13 is before the cross and nothing is said about loving another "to keep to abide in his love". It addresses, showing that they are ought to love other believers, those who have experienced the loved of God as a sure proof of being his disiples. Nothing is said about gaining or keeping salvation. Love being one of the FRUIT of the Holy Spirit.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
NIV1984 2 John 1:6
And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
I have told everybody, that OBEDIENCE is Part of our LOVE, Specifically the LOVE the GOD had the Holy Spirit Pour into our Hearts:

Romans 5:5 (NKJV)
5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

That LOVE is the SEED GOD planted in the Fertile Soil of our HEARTS, and it WILL produce the same KIND of LOVE as HE sowed there.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Yep, it is acommand to love one another that the passage to mean to Peter and his disciples who had already experienced the loved of Christ. Actually, john 13 is before the cross and nothing is said about loving another "to keep to abide in his love". It addresses, showing that they are ought to love other believers, those who have experienced the loved of God as a sure proof of being his disiples. Nothing is said about gaining or keeping salvation. Love being one of the FRUIT of the Holy Spirit.
John 15: 4Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itselfunless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me.

John 15:9As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you. Remain in My love. 10If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and remain in His love.

1 John 3:14We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers. The one who does not love remains in death.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
And you base your assumption in paragraph 2, sentence on what?
I base this upon my own life.
I think there is a real sense in which we can acknowledge everything about God intellectually, and
even in faith terms, but never witness, never confess, stay silent when things are challenged, appear
like an unbeliever but say to ourselves we believe. It is staying on the fence, keeping ones powder
dry, and not actually saying, God I love you, like you would when you first child is born, and the
fact you now have a son or daughter, you want the world to know, they are here.

We are commanded to love God with all our hearts, mind and strength and yet we think a quiet
unexpressed acknowledgement is what the cross was all about. Really? Can anyone get away
with this when the veil drops and God is there, in all His splendour, His people were actually
silent.

A proclamation of praise matters, it is another part of who we are in Christ. Amen

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
I base this upon my own life.
I think there is a real sense in which we can acknowledge everything about God intellectually, and
even in faith terms, but never witness, never confess, stay silent when things are challenged, appear
like an unbeliever but say to ourselves we believe. It is staying on the fence, keeping ones powder
dry, and not actually saying, God I love you, like you would when you first child is born, and the
fact you now have a son or daughter, you want the world to know, they are here.

We are commanded to love God with all our hearts, mind and strength and yet we think a quiet
unexpressed acknowledgement is what the cross was all about. Really? Can anyone get away
with this when the veil drops and God is there, in all His splendour, His people were actually
silent.

A proclamation of praise matters, it is another part of who we are in Christ. Amen
Sorry but you cannot base the questioned I asked based on your life and impress it upon others as it is their life.

And you even do this in your response above.

There is a difference between me, we and you.

By all means reflect and share where we were at. And how Jesus has bought us through this.

But WE should never assume and project upon others that in fact they are like that as a result of difference in doctrine.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Sorry but you cannot base the questioned I asked based on your life and impress it upon others as it is their life.
By all means reflect and share where we were at. And how Jesus has bought us through this.
But WE should never assume and project upon others that in fact they are like that as a result of difference in doctrine.
Hi Bill,

This is not doctrine I am talking about, but spiritual reality.
I have a method. I walk in the Lord, something happens and then in Him I try and understand it.
Once I grasp this reality I then share this step as something I was blessed in and that I invite others
to share. Now of course others can say, you are wrong, spirituality is not like that etc.

I can but share what me experience is and how I understand it.

If you do not like me doing this, God bless you, you share as you feel led.

I realised something for me is so profound it almost blew my socks off.
God expects His love to bear fruit in our hearts so that we propose steps of action to Him because
we love, and not because He commanded it. He invites us to participate, to become part of His
expression, His love, alive and living in this world. This is so stunning, that the Lord of creation
desires and designed this to be so.

19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.
20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Matt 18

Jesus is profound, and His promise transcends so much, but it is grounded in love reigning in
our hearts and we being the outflow of the Kingdom.

We need to see what we are, and need to know His victory and purity working in us, then these
doors will be opened. But the words actually mean less than some think. Grandeous miracles
miracles mean nothing, touching peoples lives and hearts everything. If one can distinguish
between the two, then something is beginning to really dawn.

God bless you

E

eternally-gratefull

Another sign of PeterJens, He did this alot.. probably the only person I have ever seen do this, well except for his two AKA’s present one included

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Hi Bill,

This is not doctrine I am talking about, but spiritual reality.
I have a method. I walk in the Lord, something happens and then in Him I try and understand it.
Once I grasp this reality I then share this step as something I was blessed in and that I invite others
to share. Now of course others can say, you are wrong, spirituality is not like that etc.

I can but share what me experience is and how I understand it.

If you do not like me doing this, God bless you, you share as you feel led.

I realised something for me is so profound it almost blew my socks off.
God expects His love to bear fruit in our hearts so that we propose steps of action to Him because
we love, and not because He commanded it. He invites us to participate, to become part of His
expression, His love, alive and living in this world. This is so stunning, that the Lord of creation
desires and designed this to be so.

19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.
20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."
Matt 18

Jesus is profound, and His promise transcends so much, but it is grounded in love reigning in
our hearts and we being the outflow of the Kingdom.

We need to see what we are, and need to know His victory and purity working in us, then these
doors will be opened. But the words actually mean less than some think. Grandeous miracles
miracles mean nothing, touching peoples lives and hearts everything. If one can distinguish
between the two, then something is beginning to really dawn.

God bless you
I have nothing against sharing.
I do it all the time on here.
Goodness knows how many times I've said "Got the t-shirt"

We are called to share and help based on what we have been through.

However we should not assume and presume that what we have been through and how Jesus has helped us that those who theological we disagree with do not seek the same.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
I think a lot of us here do fall foul of that.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
I have nothing against sharing.
I do it all the time on here.
Goodness knows how many times I've said "Got the t-shirt"

We are called to share and help based on what we have been through.

However we should not assume and presume that what we have been through and how Jesus has helped us that those who theological we disagree with do not seek the same.

That's the point I'm trying to make.
I think a lot of us here do fall foul of that.
Hi Bill,

I maybe be very dumb, and before the Lord, I am dumb, but He is so gracious.
This verses

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Phil 4

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Phil 4

15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name.
16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
Heb 13

My life and heart is grounded in praise and thank giving, I sing in tongues to the God my creator, who has
founded and established me and to whom all praise and honour is due, forever and ever, Amen.
Is this not what your heart in the Spirit cries out with also? I hope and pray it is, Amen

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Hi Bill,

I maybe be very dumb, and before the Lord, I am dumb, but He is so gracious.
This verses

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Phil 4

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Phil 4

15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise--the fruit of lips that confess his name.
16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
Heb 13

My life and heart is grounded in praise and thank giving, I sing in tongues to the God my creator, who has
founded and established me and to whom all praise and honour is due, forever and ever, Amen.
Is this not what your heart in the Spirit cries out with also? I hope and pray it is, Amen

Never sung in tongues myself.

Also you are not dumb.
The Father does not call his kids dumb.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
John 15 = the objective is to remain in Christ to remain in his love that would not talk about John 13 is towards fellow believers.
1John 3 = It is because we love the brethren shows we have passed from death to life. Loving the brethren is such an evidence or proof of having been justified by faith.

Still you cannot love like the loved of God if you haven't experienced the loved of God. The bible verses just proved that this love are for the believers only. When someone believes, relies, trust on the Saviour alone for his salvation.

Aug 17, 2019
God saves wicked men every time he saves someone......dwell on that a bit and use your head with the rest.......
Sorry for not using my head and used my heart instead. And my heart is saying;

"GOD IS LOVE"

"THE WORD IS GOD"

Therefore, "THE WORD IS LOVE"

And if the WORD is the seed planted in our hearts then LOVE is the same seed that was planted in our hearts.

When we received the Holy Spirit through FAITH, (Galatians 3:14) we received the power to walk in obedience to His commands through the leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.Romans 5:5

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:16-18

To LOVE is to walk in obedience to His commands...and I remember what the apostle Paul said

NIV1984 1 Corinthians 8:1-3
Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. But the man who loves God is known by God.

I love you Lord!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Yet to be proven WHO is born again and walking in God's way! He who PERSEVERES TO THE END SHALL BE SAVED!

Those who have faith and belief in Jesus, shall be saved. We all need to persevere through life, whether we're saved or unsaved.. :) Life isn't a race to the finish line, to see who makes it to heaven and who doesn't, simply because they persevered through..