Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
When I was a child, I thought as a child..... then people grow-up and change, a loved one is killed perhaps and people lose faith in God..... it happens. People see their friend, guts all over the ground in battle, and they lose faith in God, I have seen it too often. You are very immature. Salvation is still there for the taking, but they want none of it. They reject the things of God.
You say people lose faith in God but in reality they lose faith in their fellow man. That said, God remains faithful and His gifts are irrevocable.

E

EleventhHour

You say people lose faith in God but in reality they lose faith in their fellow man. That said, God remains faithful and His gifts are irrevocable.
When people state we must "perform" "do" to keep salvation then they are really just legalists.

They are in essence refuting "under grace."

PS

Jan 11, 2013
When people state we must "perform" "do" to keep salvation then they are really just legalists.

They are in essence refuting "under grace."
Faith is of the heart and mind. We do not 'do' faith.

Sep 6, 2014
Salvation is work in progress.
And philosophy is vain.

1 Timothy 6:20
O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid irreverent, empty chatter and the opposing arguments of so-called “knowledge,”

Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

2 Timothy 3:7
always learning and never being able to come to a knowledge of the truth.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
And philosophy is vain.

1 Timothy 6:20
O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid irreverent, empty chatter and the opposing arguments of so-called “knowledge,”

Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

2 Timothy 3:7
always learning and never being able to come to a knowledge of the truth.
I was not being philosophical. You should have read my response to an earlier question.

If I am going to take the excellent advice of 1 Tim 6, I need to avoid this forum.

PS

Jan 11, 2013
Tsunami, flood, fire, earthquake, birth defects, still births, cancer....?

Nov 16, 2019
Salvation is secure because scripture states it is...
That's right. It's very secure.
The problem is you think that means you can't lose it, when what 'secure' means in scripture is the ministry upon which that salvation is based is secure and can not fail the person, like the ministry of the Levites did.

(ran out of time. I will post the scriptures later when I have time)

, and our behaviour or will is not the determining factor on the security of salvation, but completely because of Jesus, who in Hebrews is declared our High Priest, He is able to save forever,” or “to the uttermost.”
I did not say our behavior or our will is the determining factor. The simple fact that God's salvation even exists is the determining factor in salvation. But that hardly means you do not have to access it through an abiding faith in that salvation.

And, please, stop confusing 'behavior' with 'trusting in Christ'. You access salvation through your trust in Christ, not through your works. The latter is the works gospel, not the former.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
That's right. It's very secure.
The problem is you think that means you can't lose it, when what 'secure' means in scripture is the ministry upon which that salvation is based is secure and can not fail the person, like the ministry of the Levites did.

(ran out of time. I will post the scriptures later when I have time)

I did not say our behavior or our will is the determining factor. The simple fact that God's salvation even exists is the determining factor in salvation. But that hardly means you do not have to access it through an abiding faith in that salvation.

And, please, stop confusing 'behavior' with 'trusting in Christ'. You access salvation through your trust in Christ, not through your works. The latter is the works gospel, not the former.
Hi.

Sorry but I'm confused by what you say above that I have bolded and underlined above.

Can you explain it for me.

Ta

E

EleventhHour

But that hardly means you do not have to access it through an abiding faith in that salvation.
This is where you are completely wrong.

The faith that saves eternally is an event in time....but you cannot see that because having read your posts on other threads you teach that begging for forgiveness is the "gospel" ...... it is not.

That you affirmed on this statement which is not truth is rather troubling.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Salvation is work in progress.

WRONG! LOOK AT ALL THE PAST TENSE VERBIAGE, and there is even MORE in the BIBLE.

2 Timothy 1:9 (HCSB)
9 He has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began.

Titus 3:5-7 (HCSB)
5 He saved usnot by works of righteousness that we had done, but according to His mercy, through the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit.
6 He poured out this ⌊Spirit⌋ on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 so that having been justified by His grace, we may become heirs with the hope of eternal life.

John 10:27-28 (HCSB)
27 My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.
28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish—ever! No one will snatch them out of My hand.

Ephesians 2:8-9 (NJB)
8 Because it is by grace that you have been saved, through faith; not by anything of your own, but by a gift from God;
9 not by anything that you have done, so that nobody can claim the credit.

Romans 11:6 (NASB)
6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.

Ephesians 1:11-14 (HCSB)
11 We have also received an inheritance in Him, predestined according to the purpose of the One who works out everything in agreement with the decision of His will,
12 so that we who had already put our hope in the Messiah might bring praise to His glory.
13 When you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and when you believed in Him, you were also sealed with the promised Holy Spirit.
14 He is the down payment of our inheritance, for the redemption of the possession, to the praise of His glory.

1 Peter 1:3-5 (HCSB)
3 Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. According to His great mercy, He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead
4 and into an inheritance that is imperishable, uncorrupted, and unfading, kept in heaven for you.
5 You are being protected by God’s power through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

Revelation 13:8 (HCSB)
8 All those who live on the earth will worship him [Antichrist], everyone whose name was not written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slaughtered.

Romans 4:4-5 (NIV)
4 Now when a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation.
5 However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

1 John 3:14 (HCSB)
14 We know that we have passed from death to life because we love our brothers.
The one who does not [agapaō = a Godly] love remains in death.

Acts 20:29-31 (HCSB)
29 I know that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock.
30 And men will rise up from your own number with deviant doctrines to lure the disciples into following them.
31 Therefore be on the alert, remembering that night and day for three years I did not stop warning each one of you with tears.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
If Salvation is a work in progress , then the thief on the cross would not of stood a chance , I believe my LORD Jesus when He said " Today you will be with Me in paradise "...
...xox...

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
That is Lordship salvation doctrine, back door works, proof of salvation or else, promoted by MacArthur, I do not follow his teachings.

Salvation is secure because scripture states it is, and our behaviour or will is not the determining factor on the security of salvation, but completely because of Jesus, who in Hebrews is declared our High Priest, He is able to save forever,” or “to the uttermost.”

Pretty simple actually.

Yeah, I used to have over 500 Cassette tapes of sermons that I listened to at least 4 times each, and probably 80 percent were by John MacArthur. I can confirm that He teaches that GOD is able to save forever,” or “to the uttermost.”

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Faith is of the heart and mind. We do not 'do' faith.

Not quite correct about the mind, GENUINE FAITH only COME FROM THE HEART (HUMAN SPIRIT).

Romans 10:9-10 (NASB)
9 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Oct 24, 2019
If Salvation is a work in progress , then the thief on the cross would not of stood a chance , I believe my LORD Jesus when He said " Today you will be with Me in paradise "...
...xox...
The thief on the cross obtaining salvation was a work in progress from the moment he first accepted Jesus as his Savior until that last moment he persevered unto the end. (y):)

Dec 12, 2013
Dec 12, 2013
It is not God's will that blasphemy of the Spirit be forgiven. But once saved always saved has the person who does that remaining saved and being ushered into the kingdom when Christ returns. Not even Jesus' prayers can change that outcome. He said it himself. That's not a failure on Christ's part. He did not lose them. They left.

You really must be either dense, blind or just flat ignorant of the fact that blasphemy of the Spirit is to REJECT CHRIST by faith and accuse his work of being by the power of the devil....

Man....go back to Sunday School and start over with salvation, because you are fast becoming the new cake taker on this site and one that by word proves that you do not know the bible.