Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 6, 2019
I have no clue how TFT lives.
But I have many clues from other posters here.
That's why they're on ignore.
They don't know that how they say something carries more weight than what they say.
Fair enough. I’m going to stay out of that.

Nov 16, 2019
When I first got saved I was very active in church. I had a lot of emphasis on ministry stuff. Played my guitar and (tried) to lead worship. Even scrubbed the toilet once when no one else would after someone made a splattery mess after a dinner. But I thought I had no spiritual gift and wondered why I wasn't clicking with the whole 'spiritual gifts' thing, which was understood as the sign you're 'ok' with him. Well, God began to teach me. Here was one of my wake up calls many years ago that taught me a lot of what I'm talking about here.

"10and find out what pleases the Lord." Ephesians 5:10

"understand what the Lord’s will is." Ephesians 5:17

So I found out, being 'spiritual' is living for him, not necessarily working for him. 'Obedience is better than sacrifice'-1 Samuel 15:22. The only thing that counts is being a vessel of God's 'agape' unconditional love in your daily living through the new creation that you have become.

"6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. " Galatians 5:6

"15Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation. " Galatians 6:17

Circumcision for us can be understood as our 'religious' efforts to please God. That's not what it's all about. It's all about being a new creation that is considerate to the people around you in accordance with the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). That's the moving on to maturity' beyond the foundation of our doctrines that Hebrews 5:12-14,6:1-2 is talking about. Not many people move on to maturity. It's the narrow, not so traveled road to life that Christ talks about in Matthew 7:13-14.

If you attend a church that is not putting the emphasis in the right place, well, you may need to find a new church. Actually, what you will probably find out is you need to find a good Bible study. Because that seems to be where you can talk about and learn the things I'm talking about. Remember, that road is narrow and few are on it.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
That's what I like......New Testament kind of church. (y)
I got saved by Pentecost and rebaptized in a lagoon by summer of the same year. They were doing word study from Ruth and I learned about redemption, First. Of course I knew about the Crucifixion and resurrection but couldn't figure out why till we did a study word by word. WOW! Just a little tiny story about two widows, a redeemer and gleaning. Opened my eyes and heart. I could go on but gushing isn't my style.

Nov 16, 2019
I got saved by Pentecost and rebaptized in a lagoon by summer of the same year. They were doing word study from Ruth and I learned about redemption, First. Of course I knew about the Crucifixion and resurrection but couldn't figure out why till we did a study word by word. WOW! Just a little tiny story about two widows, a redeemer and gleaning. Opened my eyes and heart. I could go on but gushing isn't my style.
Yes, I remember meetings like that.
I fear that you're talking about a day gone by. :(

Maybe not, though.
If the stuff hits the fan here in America the way they say it may, the church will be cleansed and this kind of genuine fellowship with each other and God will come back I think. Are you ready? I think you are.(y)

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
When I first got saved I was very active in church. I had a lot of emphasis on ministry stuff. Played my guitar and (tried) to lead worship. Even scrubbed the toilet once when no one else would after someone made a splattery mess after a dinner. But I thought I had no spiritual gift and wondered why I wasn't clicking with the whole 'spiritual gifts' thing, which was understood as the sign you're 'ok' with him. Well, God began to teach me. Here was one of my wake up calls many years ago that taught me a lot of what I'm talking about here.

"10and find out what pleases the Lord." Ephesians 5:10

"understand what the Lord’s will is." Ephesians 5:17

So I found out, being 'spiritual' is living for him, not necessarily working for him. 'Obedience is better than sacrifice'-1 Samuel 15:22. The only thing that counts is being a vessel of God's 'agape' unconditional love in your daily living through the new creation that you have become.

"6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. " Galatians 5:6

"15Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation. " Galatians 6:17

Circumcision for us can be understood as our 'religious' efforts to please God. That's not what it's all about. It's all about being a new creation that is considerate to the people around you in accordance with the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). That's the moving on to maturity' beyond the foundation of our doctrines that Hebrews 5:12-14,6:1-2 is talking about. Not many people move on to maturity. It's the narrow, not so traveled road to life that Christ talks about in Matthew 7:13-14.

If you attend a church that is not putting the emphasis in the right place, well, you may need to find a new church. Actually, what you will probably find out is you need to find a good Bible study. Because that seems to be where you can talk about and learn the things I'm talking about. Remember, that road is narrow and few are on it.
At the last supper and the upper room on Pentecost they weren't nibbling crackers and sipping thimbles of grape juce. They wer sharing a meal with the lord about the Lord together. Sharing together is important.

Matthew 18:20For where two or three gather together in My name, there am I with them.” NIV.

Dec 6, 2019

Maybe not, though.
If the stuff hits the fan here in America the way they say it may, the church will be cleansed and this kind of genuine fellowship with each other and God will come back I think. Are you ready? I think you are.(y)
I kind of agree that it is very possible this will happen soon.

E

eternally-gratefull

The double predestination thing is something I can’t get on board with either. I also prefer eternal security to osas. I agree with free grace, but hold that free grace includes newness of life and kept by the power of God
But remember, grace has a price, the cross. It is not really free, it is just a gift to us

E

eternally-gratefull

They don't know that how they say something carries more weight than what they say.
Well considering we have hardly spoken, and you have no idea of my life, yet have me on ignore, it’s laughable what you say

oh that’s right, you probably know me from before and know I will not back down. Right Ralph?

E

eternally-gratefull

Ain’t that the truth. Lots of ‘Marthas’, not so many ‘Marys’. And Martha wasn’t baking cookies for the Devil. She was busy for Jesus... in her own way. Nadab and Abihu tried that. Didn’t work out too well.
Sadly what we have is a lot of sauls, before they repented and became paul

and they judge people Just like Saul did, the pharisee he was

you all have no idea how people live, yet you judge as if you know. hA,

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.

Maybe not, though.
I know a place in this town. A park, where on Sundays' Christians from several denominations gather to praise the lord, feed and give clothing to the homeless. I know a place like that in Vegas and long Beach, CA. Also. See if your church has a homeless outreach and if not, ask why.

No sort of defense is needed for preaching outdoors, but it would take a very strong argument to prove that a man who has never preached beyond the walls of his meetinghouse has done his duty. A defense is required for services within buildings rather than for worship outside of them.

You cannot warm the hearts of people with God's love if they have an empty stomach and cold feet.
William Booth founder of the Salvation Army 1829-1912

P

Pisteuo

Do you have dcontroversial on ignore? He's a great example of that.

Nov 16, 2019
I kind of agree that it is very possible this will happen soon.
It will be a very hard time for all, including us believers. But what will be good about it is we will hopefully start meeting in more discreet and personal ways and we won't be meeting to talk about things like once saved always saved. We will be talking about how to experience God and his promises in our lives. It won't matter what we think about osas. We will be searching the scriptures to learn how to lay hold of his promises in order to survive, and with the view of being ready for his appearing.

I've been in a church like that. We existed for the purpose of experiencing God, not formulating correct doctrines and beliefs about him and putting up a veil of religious activities and sacrifices for him. In fact, osas was a side issue that played no part whatsoever in what we were seeking which was daily contact and experience with God. And because we all had that common goal we were united and did not divide over side issues (that's not to say there were never problems, lol). Our praise and worship was robust, our prayer sincere and powerful, and our study of the Word led by and filled with the presence of God himself. I'm sorry, but I can not contain the tears thinking about how that was the way church was once for me. It was the center of my life. Seminaries don't teach pastors to conduct church that way. Only rogue pastors honest enough to see how futile and useless and wasteful the way we do church is venture off into the seemingly insecure way of doing church I'm describing. But coming chaos and lack may lead us to raise up more congregations like that.

Nov 16, 2019
Do you have dcontroversial on ignore? He's a great example of that.
Yes.
I'm not letting him run me off.
I want people to know the truth about what really matters.

He's either really ticked off by what I'm saying about what really matters, or he's being brought under conviction.
I hope the latter will happen......assuming he's even reading my posts.

P

Pisteuo

Yes.
I'm not letting him run me off.
I want people to know the truth about what really matters.

He's either really ticked off by what I'm saying about what really matters, or he's being brought under conviction.
I hope the latter will happen......assuming he's even reading my posts.
Ya, I've tried to reason with him and the others here.

What is your understanding about how a called out one of the Father responds, thus recieving the Spirit of Christ?

Nov 16, 2019
I know a place in this town. A park, where on Sundays' Christians from several denominations gather to praise the lord, feed and give clothing to the homeless. I know a place like that in Vegas and long Beach, CA. Also. See if your church has a homeless outreach and if not, ask why.
They do have one in my town. I'm not sure about it, though.

No sort of defense is needed for preaching outdoors, but it would take a very strong argument to prove that a man who has never preached beyond the walls of his meetinghouse has done his duty. A defense is required for services within buildings rather than for worship outside of them.

You cannot warm the hearts of people with God's love if they have an empty stomach and cold feet.
William Booth founder of the Salvation Army 1829-1912
While I agree with this, the focus in church has to be on being educated in experiencing God himself. The problem comes in when a church focuses on works of ministry instead of focusing on experiencing God from which the life of sacrifice and obedience comes. If it's not that way you end up with a church that does lots of ministry, but a church to whom Christ will say, "I never knew you", or, "I don't know where you're from" (loose paraphrase).

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
I know they also drink poison in those type of services also.
As far as that goes it's Darwin put into practice.
Even the the Pentecostals, do not claim them, AND they even call them a Cult.

As far as I am concerned, it is not only a SEVERE and TOTAL MISTRANSLATION, but I am sure it is an OFFENSE to GOD HIMSELF, after HE SAID:

1 Corinthians 10:9 (ESV)
9 We must not put Christ to the test, as some of them did and were destroyed by serpents,

That to me, is CLEAR evidence that the Snake Cults, are DEFYING the Will of GOD.

Nov 16, 2019
What is your understanding about how a called out one of the Father responds, thus recieving the Spirit of Christ?
My understanding about that comes from 1 John 5:6-10

6This is the One who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with the water only, but with the water and with the blood. It is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7For there are three that testify: 8the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for the testimony of God is this, that He has testified concerning His Son. 10The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son.

The calling goes out to everybody. The calling is the testimony of God himself which he gives through the voice of the Holy Spirit within the heart of a person. The one who believes that testimony is the one who retains that testimony in his heart. We call that 'having faith'. The one who doesn't believe is the one who casts the testimony of God from his heart, in effect calling God who told him the truth about Jesus a liar. That is what I consider blasphemy of the Spirit--attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to that of a lying spirit of wickedness.

So, how a saved called out one of the Father responds is they retain what they heard and are saved. They are chosen (elected) on the basis of the faith they keep in their heart which we call 'believing'. And these are the ones who are given the Spirit of Christ.

"you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit " Ephesians 1:13