Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
Interesting ..... I feel like you answered and unanswered at the same time. :unsure:

I will examine those scriptures.
PS the key words to keep in mind are "in us". The righteousness of the Law is fulfilled "in us". Christ has fulfilled the Law FOR US by His perfect obedience. This is imputed righteousness. This is fully accomplished, finished, and complete.

Then afterwards He fulfills righteousness IN US by His Spirit. This is being accomplished gradually and progressively.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello everyone. Please pray for me because I got the shingles and it hurts. I can't work with my regular job yet and probably not a good idea to doordash either. I do feel like I am learning through this and has caused me to remember the cross and what Jesus did for me that if he was willing to suffer like that he won't turn people away who come to him.
Hello Cherie, so sorry to hear that you have shingles; I know how painful they can be, as I had the same thing four years ago, and the scars still, to prove it... plus my right hip, where the shingles finally settled/came through, still occasionally experiences extreme sensitivity and nerve pain! Considering how common singles is, you would think doctors would be better equipped to properly diagnose and prevent the worst of it, but nope! Four different doctors claimed I did not have shingles while a rash roamed my body for months and I experienced traveling nerve pain also. The last one said one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard a doctor say to me about the numbness I had, just before the actual shingles showed up, wrapped around my hip, extending onto my back and upper thigh. I hope yours are not too painful, and that they are located in a place that does not cause too much discomfort or pain. May you return to work soon, fully healed!

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Well, I got some rotten news Yesterday. My Bible Software is WORDsearch 10, and they SOLD it to LOGOS. I quit using Logos decades ago, because because they PROVED to be EXTREMELY GREEDY, on they SOFTWARE and Kept bumping their prices for books up. I am NOT wanting to be to have to go thru LOGOS, ever again. So I am searching for a different alternative. I found one but only has that may be owned by Baptist that Leans heavily on the KJV only side, but they are taking suggestions on Future Upgrades. So I suggested HCGB, NKJV, ESV, and NIV. They have NASB available for $14, while WORDsearch only charged $10, so that is not too bad. The Name of the Software is SwordSearcher 8.0, is anyone Familiar with that Software? He only charges $59.99, so he is not greedy, for his full version, but it only includes KJV, Wycliffe Translation, Tyndale Translation, American Standard Version, World English Bible, Geneva Bible, Bishops Bible, Youngs Literal Translation. In other words all the OLD Version no longer Copy Righted. I doubt if he will want to add versions new translations, for $14 each.

E

EleventhHour

PS the key words to keep in mind are "in us". The righteousness of the Law is fulfilled "in us". Christ has fulfilled the Law FOR US by His perfect obedience. This is imputed righteousness. This is fully accomplished, finished, and complete.

Then afterwards He fulfills righteousness IN US by His Spirit. This is being accomplished gradually and progressively.
And the righteousness He fulfills in us gradually ...what does it require from us... can a person resist?

E

eternally-gratefull

Hello everyone. Please pray for me because I got the shingles and it hurts. I can't work with my regular job yet and probably not a good idea to doordash either. I do feel like I am learning through this and has caused me to remember the cross and what Jesus did for me that if he was willing to suffer like that he won't turn people away who come to him.
Praying sis

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
And the righteousness He fulfills in us gradually ...what does it require from us... can a person resist?
The majority of the New Testament is about what is needed for this imparted righteousness to be fulfilled. The short answer is put to death the deeds of the flesh BY THE SPIRIT and walk after the Spirit. But the work itself, it is not something we do. God does it.

Can a person resist? If you mean can a Christian be disobedient, and thus quench and grieve the Holy Spirit, yes. A lot of the New Testament is about that too.

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
PS, see also 2 Peter, first chapter. Remember, I thought I was replying to infinite ark when I replied to you, so what I said related to his questions and objections.

E

EleventhHour

The majority of the New Testament is about what is needed for this imparted righteousness to be fulfilled. The short answer is put to death the deeds of the flesh BY THE SPIRIT and walk after the Spirit. But the work itself, it is not something we do. God does it.

Can a person resist? If you mean can a Christian be disobedient, and thus quench and grieve the Holy Spirit, yes. A lot of the New Testament is about that too.
Is it one nature that is being perfected ..... as MacArthur teaches ( if you are familiar with him) it sounds somewhat similar?

E

EleventhHour

One nature needs to be put to death. God help us to do this more and more.
Or we have a new nature that we learn to live out more and more... but we still have the flesh to contend with and the world and Satan?

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
Or we have a new nature that we learn to live out more and more... but we still have the flesh to contend with and the world and Satan?
What you said is true and what I said is true. They are not mutually exclusive. Colossians 3:5.

The sinful nature is also put off by the circumcision not made with hands.. Colossians 2:11. Not perfected, put off.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Well, I got some rotten news Yesterday. My Bible Software is WORDsearch 10, and they SOLD it to LOGOS. I quit using Logos decades ago, because because they PROVED to be EXTREMELY GREEDY, on they SOFTWARE and Kept bumping their prices for books up. I am NOT wanting to be to have to go thru LOGOS, ever again. So I am searching for a different alternative. I found one but only has that may be owned by Baptist that Leans heavily on the KJV only side, but they are taking suggestions on Future Upgrades. So I suggested HCGB, NKJV, ESV, and NIV. They have NASB available for $14, while WORDsearch only charged $10, so that is not too bad. The Name of the Software is SwordSearcher 8.0, is anyone Familiar with that Software? He only charges $59.99, so he is not greedy, for his full version, but it only includes KJV, Wycliffe Translation, Tyndale Translation, American Standard Version, World English Bible, Geneva Bible, Bishops Bible, Youngs Literal Translation. In other words all the OLD Version no longer Copy Righted. I doubt if he will want to add versions new translations, for $14 each.
Hello VCO, I was going to suggest one with sword in the name, perhaps that is the same one you mentioned? Have you considered checking out the Berean Study Bible? I find their translations to be excellent, certainly superior to ESV :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I am refraining from condemning criticisms of the viewpoints of others and I would like to encourage others to improve the civil ethics on this board. I have myself been caught up in shouting matches and I don't want that to happen any longer. I am begging for a similar courtesy from yourself as well.
How long did that last? :unsure:

E

EleventhHour

What you said is true and what I said is true. They are not mutually exclusive. Colossians 3:5.

The sinful nature is also put off by the circumcision not made with hands.. Colossians 2:11. Not perfected, put off.
I guess the question becomes how does one put the sinful nature to death,

Some people like to go on about carrying their cross or compulsion by God like Calvinism... but I think the answer is here

"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly"
Col 3:16

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello VCO, I was going to suggest one with sword in the name, perhaps that is the same one you mentioned? Have you considered checking out the Berean Study Bible? I find their translations to be excellent, certainly superior to ESV :)
This one is free :D

This one, too :)

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
I guess the question becomes how does one put the sinful nature to death,

Some people like to go on about carrying their cross or compulsion by God like Calvinism... but I think the answer is here

"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly"
Col 3:16
Col. 3:16 is a good answer. Another is to reckon yourself dead. Our death to sin is already a reality, we just need to reckon it. Also, feed the spirit,starve the flesh is considered by some to be trite, but is actually a key.

Ps taking up your cross is good advice, seeing Jesus has exhorted us to.

Feb 28, 2016
Hello Cherie, so sorry to hear that you have shingles; I know how painful they can be, as I had the same thing four years ago, and the scars still, to prove it... plus my right hip, where the shingles finally settled/came through, still occasionally experiences extreme sensitivity and nerve pain! Considering how common singles is, you would think doctors would be better equipped to properly diagnose and prevent the worst of it, but nope! Four different doctors claimed I did not have shingles while a rash roamed my body for months and I experienced traveling nerve pain also. The last one said one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard a doctor say to me about the numbness I had, just before the actual shingles showed up, wrapped around my hip, extending onto my back and upper thigh. I hope yours are not too painful, and that they are located in a place that does not cause too much discomfort or pain. May you return to work soon, fully healed![/QUOTE
=====================================================
WOW, Magenta, so sorry to hear about your terrible bout with the Shings - for myself, a few years ago I had an appointment with
my doc for a 'check-up', and showed him where I thought I had a bug bite that might be getting infected, well, he took one look and told me that I had the Shingles', I was stunned, as I had looked at several vids about people who had them and also had known and seen several of my friends who had gotten them, so it was hard for to believe that I actually had it - anyway, he told me that the rest of my Shingles were 'internal' - and I did experience a different discomfort and different kind of mild-pain, although it was nothing
to distress me or cause me concern, just a little baffled, as I said before what I had read about the extreme and intense pain that so many experience, as well as some of my friends...I felt very Blessed, as I was at that time experiencing much nerve pain from a broken neck, etc...
Thanks Sister, for always stepping-up to (help and encourage) your fellow man...
Hugs...
:):)

E

EleventhHour

I am familiar with Sword Searcher

It is has a lot capability and functions but I no longer use it.... I kept forgetting to use it so I cancelled because of the other alternatives on line.

You can download a free trial evaluation version.. that might be help you decide if you want to spend the money.

VCO

Oct 14, 2013

Is that E-Sword you are talking about? I almost forgot about E-Sword. I used to use in back in Windows 95 Days. I found it was way more complicated than WORDsearch. But I figure they worked that bug out. Thanks, will try that. I hope they have HCSB available, and I will pay a little bit for it. It is my Favorite Version. Will give it a try, once more.