Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Hello Cherie, so sorry to hear that you have shingles; I know how painful they can be, as I had the same thing four years ago, and the scars still, to prove it... plus my right hip, where the shingles finally settled/came through, still occasionally experiences extreme sensitivity and nerve pain! Considering how common singles is, you would think doctors would be better equipped to properly diagnose and prevent the worst of it, but nope! Four different doctors claimed I did not have shingles while a rash roamed my body for months and I experienced traveling nerve pain also. The last one said one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard a doctor say to me about the numbness I had, just before the actual shingles showed up, wrapped around my hip, extending onto my back and upper thigh. I hope yours are not too painful, and that they are located in a place that does not cause too much discomfort or pain. May you return to work soon, fully healed!
Thank you Magenta. I have it located on my right side and wraps around the back. I didn't know what it was at first but with enough Google searches and a look into a nurse aide book I had gotten from a class I took once, I had suspected it to possibly be shingles. My family doctor confirmed my suspicion, told me I hit it right on the head. I found some picture online also that were similar to the rash. Some people I heard could have shingles without a rash. For me I had slight pain on a Friday and noticed a rash at least by Saturday.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
I guess the question becomes how does one put the sinful nature to death,

Some people like to go on about carrying their cross or compulsion by God like Calvinism... but I think the answer is here

"Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly"
Col 3:16
Didn’t Jesus put the sin nature to death with His death and resurrection in new life? And we reckon it’s so...according to Paul?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
We are dead and our life is hid in Christ our God comes to mind but I better check accuracy.

Good thing...😇

Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

Its taken me years to understand what God gave me through His Son Jesus, way back in 1972. Fully I mean. But then fully isn’t completely right either for revelation still comes to me about His great salvation and the Great Exchange Of the Gospel that was finished at the Cross positionally, yet a continual experience for us as His Bride getting ourselves ready for the marriage feast!

😉

VCO

Oct 14, 2013
Hello VCO, I was going to suggest one with sword in the name, perhaps that is the same one you mentioned? Have you considered checking out the Berean Study Bible? I find their translations to be excellent, certainly superior to ESV :)

Yes, the E-Sword will be my new software version. NOW I HAVE TO LEARN IT ALL OVER AGAIN.
I has to download $57 bucks worth of add on Books. As some I cannot do without. I Skipped the NIV, as they wanted $24.99, ten dollars more than any body else. Not my favorite version by FAR. So I will get by, but the learning curve will be a challenge at my age.

E

eternally-gratefull

Thank you Magenta. I have it located on my right side and wraps around the back. I didn't know what it was at first but with enough Google searches and a look into a nurse aide book I had gotten from a class I took once, I had suspected it to possibly be shingles. My family doctor confirmed my suspicion, told me I hit it right on the head. I found some picture online also that were similar to the rash. Some people I heard could have shingles without a rash. For me I had slight pain on a Friday and noticed a rash at least by Saturday.
Hope it goes away quickly

E

EleventhHour

Both. Galatians 5:24, they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with it's affections and lusts. Past tense and universal. All christians have crucified the flesh.
But we still sin?

So what does it mean?

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
But we still sin?

So what does it mean?
To crucify or put to death means to deprive of power, vitality, and force. So we are called to stop yielding ourselves to unrighteousness, for sin shall have no dominion over us, (it's power is broken) and start yielding ourselves to righteousness. We will still sin, because we are still growing into that reality of being set free. It's like a slave that has been liberated, but still thinks and lives like a slave, because that is what he is accustomed to. So we are also called to renew our minds. So we are free, but learning to walk in freedom is a process that will not be complete until we bear the image of the Heavenly, Christ.

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
The correct way of viewing self once we have been awakened to truth is Spirit, soul, body.

One of the teachers of faith, I think it was Hagin, taught we are a Spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body. This is truth. Until we are born again, we are soulish, connected to this world, and live according to our 5 senses.

I capitalized Spirit for the reason that it’s what we are now. A spiritual person connected to heaven. Living yet on earth, but no longer earthy. Earthly maybe, but not earthy.

So what does sin have to do with us?

Our minds need renewed to what has happened.

O1C, I apologize. I didn’t go back to read what anyone had previously written. I’m an older member but have been in and out as far as posting. I see our postings are similar.

E

EleventhHour

To crucify or put to death means to deprive of power, vitality, and force. So we are called to stop yielding ourselves to unrighteousness, for sin shall have no dominion over us, (it's power is broken) and start yielding ourselves to righteousness. We will still sin, because we are still growing into that reality of being set free. It's like a slave that has been liberated, but still thinks and lives like a slave, because that is what he is accustomed to. So we are also called to renew our minds. So we are free, but learning to walk in freedom is a process that will not be complete until we bear the image of the Heavenly, Christ.
Agree 100%, some preach "sinless perfectionism" in this life because they do not understand the book of John, so I was seeking clarification.
Thank you.

OIC1965

Sep 19, 2020
The correct way of viewing self once we have been awakened to truth is Spirit, soul, body.

One of the teachers of faith, I think it was Hagin, taught we are a Spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body. This is truth. Until we are born again, we are soulish, connected to this world, and live according to our 5 senses.

I capitalized Spirit for the reason that it’s what we are now. A spiritual person connected to heaven. Living yet on earth, but no longer earthy. Earthly maybe, but not earthy.

So what does sin have to do with us?

Our minds need renewed to what has happened.

O1C, I apologize. I didn’t go back to read what anyone had previously written. I’m an older member but have been in and out as far as posting. I see our postings are similar.
No need to apologize. I enjoy your posts.