Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Proverbs 16:18-19

18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

19 Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Read and comprehend - Jesus loves an humble spirit. He will disregard a prideful individual

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Proverbs 16:18-19

18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

19 Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.

Read and comprehend - Jesus loves an humble spirit. He will disregard a prideful individual
Jesus loves us all. I think everyone has a level of pride in them because of dealing with sin.

Aug 3, 2019
I am not talking about Paul.

I am asking you about James.
James' clearly identifies the Law of Liberty as the Ten Commandments by quoting from two of the ten (lest we be not convinced with only one).

Notice, he does NOT quote from the Mosaic Law of ceremonies and sacrifices which began at Moses and ended at the Cross: he quotes from those which existed long long before the existence of the first Israelite.

Aug 3, 2019
He is in such massive denial about judging others that he has unwittingly likened himself to the anti-Christ :censored::giggle:
If you had a man who habitually cheated on you, you'd just smile and pat him on the head and forgive him and never ever "judge" him, right?

Oh, that's not the case? Well, then, either the one or the other of the following is correct:

1) You're confused about what it means, Biblically, to "judge" :confused:
2) You're in "massive denial" of your colossal hypocrisy :p

Jan 12, 2019
James' clearly identifies the Law of Liberty as the Ten Commandments by quoting from two of the ten (lest we be not convinced with only one).

Notice, he does NOT quote from the Mosaic Law of ceremonies and sacrifices which began at Moses and ended at the Cross: he quotes from those which existed long long before the existence of the first Israelite.
If you believe James, Peter, John et al in Galatians 2:7-9 were preaching the exact same gospel to the Jews, as Paul taught the Gentiles, shouldn't James instead remind those Jewish believers that Paul was indeed correct to say that physical circumcision was no longer necessary for them?

Aug 3, 2019
LOLOLOL. You are so condescending. Jesus Christ sees all individuals as EQual. Man and Woman are side by side. I do know the difference between judging and "fruit" inspection. Judging as you do is NOT a fruit. It is not christian. Women are not subservient to men. Jesus honors each one. Wow, you are living in a man oriented world.
I'm not condescending, I just don't kow tow to the idiocy of first wave, second wave, or especially third wave feminism. God makes plain in Scripture why He established man over the woman in both marriage and the church: 1 Timothy 2:12-14 KJV. If you have a problem with that, file an "exemption request" with God and lemme know how that turns out.

Eve chose emotionalism over good logical sense to govern her actions that fateful day and that choice resulted in her being seduced into indulging a bit of lust of the flesh, the eyes, and her pride: she saw the fruit was tasty, beautiful, and able to impart wisdom.

It is not I who condescend, but you who attempt to exalt human wisdom, as did Eve, above the Word of God - the same Word I continually use to prove the OSAS License to Sin as a false doctrine of devils.

Aug 3, 2019
If you believe James, Peter, John et al in Galatians 2:7-9 were preaching the exact same gospel to the Jews, as Paul taught the Gentiles, shouldn't James instead remind those Jewish believers that Paul was indeed correct to say that physical circumcision was no longer necessary for them?
James and Paul weren't fighting each other with opposing Gospels: they were in the same army fighting against those two ever present false ideas, respectively - the two deadly ditches which have ever flanked both sides of the Path of the Just: License and Legalism.

James' steadfast preaching that works must accompany faith was not intended to make works a supplement to inward faith, but the outward evidence of it.

Likewise, Paul's enemy was Legalism, which he continuously preached was as powerless to lift the soul from ruin as are ropes of sand - but, lest we be confused, he also made sure to remind us that "he that doeth righteousness is righteous" to show he was in full agreement with James.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I'm not condescending, I just don't kow tow to the idiocy of first wave, second wave, or especially third wave feminism. God makes plain in Scripture why He established man over the woman in both marriage and the church: 1 Timothy 2:12-14 KJV. If you have a problem with that, file an "exemption request" with God and lemme know how that turns out.

Eve chose emotionalism over good logical sense to govern her actions that fateful day and that choice resulted in her being seduced into indulging a bit of lust of the flesh, the eyes, and her pride: she saw the fruit was tasty, beautiful, and able to impart wisdom.

It is not I who condescend, but you who attempt to exalt human wisdom, as did Eve, above the Word of God - the same Word I continually use to prove the OSAS License to Sin as a false doctrine of devils.

^ the same Word of God that you ( wrongly} think you have authority over to mix and match and make it say whatever you want.
it is invalid , of course, but it makes you feel good, like you have a moral superior over any who do not agree with you.

but, that is very appealing to someone filled with religious pride, so an easy temptation to fall for, when a man is puffed up with pride.

Jan 12, 2019
James and Paul weren't fighting each other with opposing Gospels: they were in the same army fighting against those two ever present false ideas, respectively - the two deadly ditches which have ever flanked both sides of the Path of the Just: License and Legalism.

James' steadfast preaching that works must accompany faith was not intended to make works a supplement to inward faith, but the outward evidence of it.

Likewise, Paul's enemy was Legalism, which he continuously preached was as powerless to lift the soul from ruin as are ropes of sand - but, lest we be confused, he also made sure to remind us that "he that doeth righteousness is righteous" to show he was in full agreement with James.
As I stated, if James was indeed preaching the same gospel as Paul, he would have reminded those Jewish believers that what Paul stated in Galatians 5:2 is correct, that all believers no longer need to circumcise their children.

You keep avoiding what Acts 21:19-25 is implying.

Aug 3, 2019
* except that the Law and the Sabbath were part of the Covenant that Israel entered into with God at Sinai.
so, if you were not one of the ones ( or your ancestors ) that came out of egypt then that covenant was not for you.

there is a New Covenant, not REnewed covenant.
The only difference between the OC/NC is the location of where the law is written. Read it for yourself in Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV.

Which people do the inhabitants of heaven refer to as "least" and "great" -- you antinomianists who oppose obedience or those of us who advocate for the doing and preaching of it?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
The only difference between the OC/NC is the location of where the law is written. Read it for yourself in Hebrews 8:8-10 KJV.

Which people do the inhabitants of heaven refer to as "least" and "great" -- you antinomianists who oppose obedience or those of us who advocate for the doing and preaching of it?
i am not a antinomianist , i believe we are to obey God.

but, gentiles were never under the Law, and were never commanded to keep the jewish Sabbath. the commands were given to Isreal after coming out of egypt, God the Father said so many the Pentateuch.

see, i rightly believe in obedience because i am saved.

you wrongly teach that obeying keep you saved.

belief keeps you saved. not command keeping . that is 2 separate things.

Aug 3, 2019

but, gentiles were never under the Law, and were never commanded to keep the jewish Sabbath. the commands were given to Isreal after coming out of egypt, God the Father said so many the Pentateuch.

I don’t teach works salvation - I teach unconditional surrender while you teach presumptuous rebellion. Are you saying a non-Israelite like Cain was not required to obey the 6th, Joseph the 7th, or Rachel the 8th?

Do you understand Joseph called adultery SIN which is “transgression of the law”? Did the law exist before Sinai?

What about the Gentiles that join themselves to the truth? Isaiah 56 says they could “take hold of My covenant” but Gentiles like you and me you and I can’t?

WRONG! I and a Spiritual Israelite who’s taken hold of the NC, as do all Christians.

Saying you support the law, but only for others to obey is like stupid leftists who support income tax hikes on others as long as they can be exempt from paying. We call that hypocrisy.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I don’t teach works salvation - I teach unconditional surrender while you teach presumptuous rebellion. Are you saying a non-Israelite like Cain was not required to obey the 6th, Joseph the 7th, or Rachel the 8th?

Do you understand Joseph called adultery SIN which is “transgression of the law”? Did the law exist before Sinai?

What about the Gentiles that join themselves to the truth? Isaiah 56 says they could “take hold of My covenant” but Gentiles like you and me you and I can’t?

WRONG! I and a Spiritual Israelite who’s taken hold of the NC, as do all Christians.

Saying you support the law, but only for others to obey is like stupid leftists who support income tax hikes on others as long as they can be exempt from paying. We call that hypocrisy.

the word " sin" is missing the mark, failing to meet a standard, or as James says, knowing to do good and not doing so.

so, yes, it is violating the Torah, which was given to the jews only, but since we are under the NEW Covenant, it is wise to use the definition of sin in the N.T.

as with abide and surrender, you have to use the definition of the word along with the word.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina

You can paint whatever picture you like but it still is condescending. Man and woman walk side by side. In God's eye, we equal.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
A wonderful devotion I had this morning explaining to me that nothing, absolutely nothing can destroy my relationship with the Lord. How He loves me unconditionally. How I can never perform enough to receive, hold onto His love. He has covered me with His righteousness.

Aug 3, 2019
Jesus loves us all. I think everyone has a level of pride in them because of dealing with sin.
Yep, that feeling of indignation whenever we feel as though we've been "wronged" is pride...I remember in Sabbath school many years ago, we were studying Jesus' character traits and the word "MEEK" was the topic.

The lesson book defined "meek" as "to endure injury patiently without resentment".

If there was ever a perfect example of that, it is the life of Jesus. Nothing done to Him ever provoked Him to anger. Only when He saw the Plan of Salvation's foundational truth - by grace through faith not works - being covered over with the trappings of pagan "works based" religion did He become indignant, and only because such deception hurts those for whom He loved and died.

Aug 3, 2019
the word " sin" is missing the mark, failing to meet a standard, or as James says, knowing to do good and not doing so.

so, yes, it is violating the Torah, which was given to the jews only, but since we are under the NEW Covenant, it is wise to use the definition of sin in the N.T.

as with abide and surrender, you have to use the definition of the word along with the word
You continue to deny the verses I gave you because the weakness of your arguments won't allow you to answer them.

Did God require Cain to NOT break the 6th commandment and Joseph to not break the 7th?

If you answer "no" then Cain was wrongly punished and Joseph was unnecessarily noble. If you answer "yes" then the Ten Commandments were NOT just for Israel because they existed CENTURIES before Israel.

SO WHICH IS IT?

Aug 3, 2019
You can paint whatever picture you like but it still is condescending. Man and woman walk side by side. In God's eye, we equal.
The man is the head of the woman, just as Christ is the head of the church. Says so in Scripture. Do you disagree?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
You continue to deny the verses I gave you because the weakness of your arguments won't allow you to answer them.

Did God require Cain to NOT break the 6th commandment and Joseph to not break the 7th?

If you answer "no" then Cain was wrongly punished and Joseph was unnecessarily noble. If you answer "yes" then the Ten Commandments were NOT just for Israel because they existed CENTURIES before Israel.

SO WHICH IS IT?
there is no record of the Ten Commands being given to anyone other than Moses.

when God said that Abraham kept His Law, the word there is torat, not Torah.

torat means commands, but not the Ten

so, when God told Abraham to go and do and Abraham did, he kept God's commands.