Not By Works

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
On the seventh day after having created all in 6 days, God rested on the Sabbath. The work of creation was completed. When Jesus died on the cross and rose again, he secured salvation. He ascended into heaven where he sat down at the right hand of God. Salvation and the work of paying for our sins was completed by Jesus. Now we can rest in Christ .

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
On the seventh day after having created all in 6 days, God rested on the Sabbath. The work of creation was completed. When Jesus died on the cross and rose again, he secured salvation. He ascended into heaven where he sat down at the right hand of God. Salvation and the work of paying for our sins was completed by Jesus. Now we can rest in Christ .
Yes we need to rest in Christ, only by trusting in Him are we saved, He has done all, that He might be able to present us faultless before the Father.

But...
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
the weekly Sabbath of the Ten Commandments in no way qualifies as a "shadow"
let's be clear:

in Colossians 2 ((and also Hebrews 8 & 10)) what is called a 'shadow' is designated as such because it is a testimony of Christ ((see: John 5:39))

you are presently trying to argue that sabbath does not testify of Christ.

i.e. your observation of it has nothing to do with Him, in your view:
in other words, keeping sabbath, commanding others to do so, and condemning believers who don't, is not a Christian activity ((inactivity)), by your own argument.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
the yearly "shadow" sabbaths of Colossians 2:16 KJV
in Colossians 2:16 "KJV"
sabbath is singular & holydays ((the feasts)) are differentiated from it.

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath
(KJV)
your private misinterpretation is completely untenable.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I could see where it would be a shadow of the rest found in Christ. For me, this idea makes the Sabbath sound even more special not less.
yes
Hebrews 3-4 clearly shows it to be a shadow of Christ, which is, a testimony or picture of Him.
that is exactly what is good about it.

a 'Christless' sabbath like our neighbor tele-person is trying to convince us of is certainly not good.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
It was created before sin entered the world when there were no shadows: all was light.
all was light? really?
have you not even read Genesis?
or do you forget what you have read?

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
The earth was without form, and void; and darkness on the face of the deep.

(Genesis 1:1-2)

God divided the light from the darkness.
(Genesis 1:4)

God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night.
(Genesis 1:5)

So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
(Genesis 1:31)

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Let's get something straight about what "licentiousness" means: it's derived from a word meaning "freedom" which is what a "license" provides: freedom to engage in something for which the unlicensed will be punished.

A fishing license gives freedom to a fisherman to do that for which the unlicensed man doing the same thing will be punished.
A hunting license gives freedom to a hunter to do that for which the unlicensed man doing the same thing will be punished.
A driver's license gives freedom to a driver to do that for which the unlicensed man doing the same thing will be punished.
A contractor's license...
A real estate license...
A law license...

OSAS says the Christian man is free to do (but he's better off not doing it) the exact same thing for which the wicked man will be punished. A blind man can see that's exactly the heresy about which Jude warned the church: turning grace into a OSAS License to Sin.

Charles Stanley preaches that bulldookey. David Jeremiah preaches that bulldookey. Adrian Rogers preaches that bulldookey.
And, what do they all have in common? They're all part of the OSAS crowd.
Licenteousness - Greek aselgeia -licentious behavior, extreme immorality, self abandonment, insolence, sensuality, wantoness, lacking moral restraint, "to live like a dog"usually refering to sexual behavior.

Funny how not one time can we find the word freedom.

as for freedom!!!

paul says we are free..

Gal 5: 5 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.

13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

Peter says we are free..

1 Peter 2: 16 Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.

face it my friend. Your legalism will not profit you..

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
In what post did I say "Christ is a shadow" of anything?
your present argument is that weekly ritual ceremonial inactivity of your flesh is greater than Christ and does not testify of Him.

if anything is greater than the Lord then it doesn't testify of Him, but He of it -- your present private teaching is that Christ is the shadow and ritual ceremonial weekly inactivity is the substance.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
James referenced no less than two of the Ten Commandments, and yet you claim he wasn't writing about Exodus 20? Good gravy...
Read the text then:

James 2:1-9
My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, [the Lord] of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world [to be] rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called? If you really fulfill [the] royal law according to the Scripture, [ "You shall love your neighbor as yourself,"] you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Read the text then:

James 2:1-9
My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, [the Lord] of glory, with partiality. For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool," have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world [to be] rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called? If you really fulfill [the] royal law according to the Scripture, [ "You shall love your neighbor as yourself,"] you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
@phoneperson

It's as I told you, about a little chapter called Leviticus 19, which God calls the very basis of the law, and which doesn't happen to be the decalogue.

It's the law of Christ he is convicting them of, 'love thy neighbor' - not the decalogue. He only mentions murder and adultery in the context of telling them they are guilty under the law if they break any part of it. But what part of it have they broken?
Not the decalogue. They have been breaking Leviticus 19:15 and 34

Point being that James clearly does not share your private interpretation that the 10 commandments are any different than the things you would dismiss as mere 'ordinances' - you're either under the whole law or you aren't under any of it.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
the proud..

they think they can give God something..
Yes I agree...
If Jesus Himself is not enough , then they have missed the grace of God...
God has given us a new heart , a new spirit with new desires to worship Him...
Those who accuse us that we take Gods grace as a licence to sin is doing great damage to Gods children...They accuse us of awful things , and we know who is the accuser is , it is Satan...We are children of the Light , not children of the dark...
One day they will have to stand before God , yes if they see themselves standing under the Law , but as for us , we will stand before our beloved , hearing " Well done My good and faithful servant...
...xox...

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Yes I agree...
If Jesus Himself is not enough , then they have missed the grace of God...
God has given us a new heart , a new spirit with new desires to worship Him...
Those who accuse us that we take Gods grace as a licence to sin is doing great damage to Gods children...They accuse us of awful things , and we know who is the accuser is , it is Satan...We are children of the Light , not children of the dark...
One day they will have to stand before God , yes if they see themselves standing under the Law , but as for us , we will stand before our beloved , hearing " Well done My good and faithful servant...
...xox...
as James said, if we break the least of the commands we are guilty of all..

while they judge people.. they ignore their own sin, or excuse it.

they will not be able to excuse it before God..

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
Yes we need to rest in Christ, only by trusting in Him are we saved, He has done all, that He might be able to present us faultless before the Father.

But...
Rom 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. 16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
Do you sin? Ever?

Aug 3, 2019
crazy how you don't care about directly contradicting scripture. do you have any idea how transparent you are to all of us?
Please don't lecture me about what is and isn't Biblical.

It is you who continues to argue the wicked can partake of "agape" love so that the "many" of Matthew 24:12-13 KJV who wind up lost because their "agape" grows cold and dead can be made to be the wicked, a desperate but failed attempt to preserve OSAS from destruction by deceptively hiding the fact that these "many" can only have been saints -- because the same Bible you say contradicts me completely overthrows your nonsense in 1 John 5:3 KJV which says "agape" is demonstrated only by happily keeping God's commandments, the same commandments Romans 8:7 KJV says the wicked can't keep even if they wanted to.

Aug 3, 2019
I could see where it would be a shadow of the rest found in Christ. For me, this idea makes the Sabbath sound even more special not less.
Two reasons why it's not a shadow of anything, but a memorial:

1. Genesis tells us the purpose of it was to memorialize Creation - it plainly says it was created as a memorial to look back upon, not a shadow of something of which to look forward to.

2. It was created BEFORE sin entered the world, so no spiritual shadows existed - all was light.

Paul's list in Colossians 2 consists of Mosaic ceremonial things; the weekly Sabbath was not in any way ceremonial Mosaic Law and can't be included in that list without sacrificing the preservation of consistent Biblical hermeneutics - again, is a memorial to Creation ;)

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Please don't lecture me about what is and isn't Biblical.

It is you who continues to argue the wicked can partake of "agape" love so that the "many" of Matthew 24:12-13 KJV who wind up lost because their "agape" grows cold and dead can be made to be the wicked, a desperate but failed attempt to preserve OSAS from destruction by deceptively hiding the fact that these "many" can only have been saints -- because the same Bible you say contradicts me completely overthrows your nonsense in 1 John 5:3 KJV which says "agape" is demonstrated only by happily keeping God's commandments, the same commandments Romans 8:7 KJV says the wicked can't keep even if they wanted to.

word of advice-

stop interacting with posthuman. he is running circles around the ellen white theology you are pushing.

Aug 3, 2019
let's be clear:

in Colossians 2 ((and also Hebrews 8 & 10)) what is called a 'shadow' is designated as such because it is a testimony of Christ ((see: John 5:39))

you are presently trying to argue that sabbath does not testify of Christ.
The weekly Sabbath's reason for creation is right there in the Bible: a memorial to Creation, not a shadow of anything. It says God made the Sabbath because He rested from creating everything the first six days.

Again, the only "sabbath" that can be a shadow of Christ's work of redemption are the yearly feast day sabbaths, which shadows stretched all the way back from the Cross (and beyond) to Genesis 3:15 KJV, the way of escape from man's death sentence under which sin cast him by the gold of Jesus' blood and the silver of His tears. The weekly Sabbath had already come into existence BEFORE GENESIS 3:15 KJV.

Aug 3, 2019
word of advice-

stop interacting with posthuman. he is running circles around the ellen white theology you are pushing.
If you can find just ONE post where I appealed to the writings of EGW instead of Scripture in order to prove a doctrine as Biblical, I'll give you $1,000. Now, either collect your $1,000 or shut your mouth.