Not Discerning the Work of Grace, or Growth, in Our Own Heart.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 1, 2015
1,198
15
0
DESPAIR OF NOT DISCERNING THE WORK OF GRACE UPON ONE’S HEART

By Charles H. Spurgeon

​
Last Sabbath morning we addressed you upon the gracious operations of the Holy Spirit in the believer, and upon the glorious fad of his dwelling in the hearts of the regenerate. Now, it frequently happens that when we discourse upon the work of the Holy Spirit, there are certain weak and uninstructed brethren who straightway fall into questionings and despondencies, because they in some point or other are unable to discern the work of grace within themselves. That work may be prospering within them, but through the turmoil of their spirits and the dimness of their mental vision, they do not at once perceive it, and therefore they are distracted and alarmed. There is a consoling doctrine which is intended to yield comfort to souls thus afflicted; it is the great truth, that "Whosoever believeth on the Lord Jesus Christ, hath everlasting life." If they would remember this gospel-declaration, they might also with advantage consider the other spiritual fact, and by weighing the two truths in their minds, they might receive much permanent blessing; while at the present, by having an eye to one only, they throw themselves off their balance, and make to themselves many sorrows.

[Excerpt from “Alive or Dead – Which?”, sermon by Charles H. Spurgeon]

​

Some Christians Are Growing, But They Don't Know It.
By David Wilkerson​

Some believers can tell you all about their spiritual growth. And you can clearly see the changes in their lives. They testify to you about how the Holy Ghost has vanquished the enemy for them, and you rejoice with them in their victory.

Yet these kinds of Christians are the exception. Most believers are totally unaware of any spiritual progress in their lives. They're diligent to walk in holiness and in the fear of God. They pray, read the Bible and seek the Lord with all their hearts. And they've forsaken all besetting lusts and habits. There's no obstruction to spiritual growth in them. In short, the life of Christ is thriving in these saints.

But they can't discern any growth in themselves. They don't sense that anything spiritual is taking place at all. I'm an example of this type of Christian. I know I walk in the righteousness of Christ, yet I never feel holy. I never sense I'm making progress. In fact, I occasionally get down on myself whenever I do or say something un-Christlike. It causes me to wonder, "I've been a Christian for years. Why don't I ever learn?"
We all judge others to be so much purer and holier than ourselves. Yet we aren't aware of the wonderful, exceeding spiritual growth that God is causing in us!
I think the Thessalonian Christians were stunned when they heard Paul's glowing assessment of them. They probably thought, "Me, growing exceedingly? Paul must be kidding. Doesn't he know I'm still far from what I ought to be? On most days, I struggle badly. He may see growth in me, but I certainly don't."

Yet Paul knew that spiritual growth is a secret, hidden thing. Scripture likens it to the unseen growth of flowers and trees: "I will be as the dew unto Israel: he shall grow as the lily, and cast forth his roots as Lebanon. His branches shall spread, and his beauty shall be as the olive tree, and his smell as Lebanon" (Hosea 14:5-6).

God is telling us, "Go to the lilies! Just try to watch them grow. Take your watch, and be prepared to stay all day long. I'm telling you, by day's end you won't be able to see any growth whatsoever. But know this: I water the lily every morning with the dew I send -- and it's going to grow.

"Or, try to measure the growth of the cedar tree. Camp under it for a month, and tell me how far you see it grow. Even after six months, you probably won't notice any growth. Yet that tree is putting down deep roots! You see, I water the tree with my rain. And any tree that's watered properly is going to grow. Yet such growth is not discernible to the human eye. It grows, but in secret!"

The same is true of most spiritual growth. It's imperceptible to the human eye!
Some Christians may object, "I've been a believer for ten years, and I still don't feel like I've grown spiritually." To those people, I point to the book of Isaiah. God promises, "I will pour water upon him that is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground..." (Isaiah 44:3). He also calls his repentant people "trees of righteousness" (61:3). The Lord himself says we're his trees and flowers, his carefully tended plants. And he sends down his dew and rain upon us daily!

Let me give you an easy test that will reveal whether spiritual growth is taking place in you. Simply ask yourself, "Am I thirsty? Do I want more of Jesus and his holiness?" If the answer is yes, you can know you're growing. Why? He promises to pour out his living water on all who thirst for him: "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled" (Matthew 5:6).

Simply put, God judges your spiritual growth by how much you hunger and thirst for him. So, if you're sincere about your walk with Christ, and you're open to his leading and correction, you mustn't be discouraged by any perceived lack of growth. True spiritual growth is taking place in you, whether you can see it or not!

Yet God promises that all who hunger and thirst after him will be filled by his own hand. He'll water us from heaven. And he'll feed us all the nutrients needed to produce abundant life in us -- whether we see it happening or not!

[Excerpt from “What Every Christian Should Know About Spiritual Growth”, By David Wilkerson]