Not sure if I ever received the Holy Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
So I started taking God seriously last year and I prayed a lot to receive the Holy Spirit. I tried to confess but honestly sometimes I don’t feel genuine enough. I feel that if I don’t feel emotional doing so that it was fake. But I keep praying for the Holy Spirit but it seems like my heart is just getting worse instead of better. I feel more wicked and sinful and my conviction and love just isn’t there. I lost my fear of God but I guess I was more scared to be punished. Ever since I fell back into sin because of unbelief and anxiety sparking high because of the doubt I first started feeling apathetic and I felt as though the Lord wasn’t there because I cried out to Him to save me and help me but nothing happened. I’m happy I haven’t given up on trying and I don’t deal with that horrible doubt anymore which I think it was just covered up with sin. I honestly don’t know what to do. I never feel like I have enough fear for God or love. I don’t feel like I’m being changed either. I try to pray for help but I don’t feel desperate enough and I start off genuine but then end up feeling careless and have a whatever feeling. I wish I felt a strong desperation and a care. I don’t feel serious about it even though I want to be serious and I want to feel love and reverence. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I also started having intrusive thoughts and emotions this year. Just seems like I’m getting worse.
Pray for forgiveness, wisdom and then the Holy Spirit. His coming into your life is not a feeling, just a fact.

Apr 29, 2012
In your first post there are a lot of "I feel" and "I don"t feel" statements. Our feelings/emotions often lie to us and cannot be trusted to be truth. I suggest you just put your trust in what scripture says and your feelings with eventually line up with truth. Please be patient with yourself and GOD.

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
So I started taking God seriously last year and I prayed a lot to receive the Holy Spirit. I tried to confess but honestly sometimes I don’t feel genuine enough. I feel that if I don’t feel emotional doing so that it was fake. But I keep praying for the Holy Spirit but it seems like my heart is just getting worse instead of better. I feel more wicked and sinful and my conviction and love just isn’t there. I lost my fear of God but I guess I was more scared to be punished. Ever since I fell back into sin because of unbelief and anxiety sparking high because of the doubt I first started feeling apathetic and I felt as though the Lord wasn’t there because I cried out to Him to save me and help me but nothing happened. I’m happy I haven’t given up on trying and I don’t deal with that horrible doubt anymore which I think it was just covered up with sin. I honestly don’t know what to do. I never feel like I have enough fear for God or love. I don’t feel like I’m being changed either. I try to pray for help but I don’t feel desperate enough and I start off genuine but then end up feeling careless and have a whatever feeling. I wish I felt a strong desperation and a care. I don’t feel serious about it even though I want to be serious and I want to feel love and reverence. I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I also started having intrusive thoughts and emotions this year. Just seems like I’m getting worse.
You are going to get a lot of different OPINIONS about this and a lot of different answers. So let me advise you to go to the Bible for your answers and not men. The apostle Paul says that the Bible is the “mind of Christ.” 1 Cor. 2:16 and God assures us that the scriptures are “INSPIRED by God and are COMPLETE, PERFECT, and can equip us with ALL we need. 2 Tim. 3:16. So my first advice is to believe and trust the scriptures. John 17 says that God’s word is “TRUTH.”
Second, Roman’s 10:17 tells us that “FAITH comes by hearing the word of God.” You have a “faith problem.” The only way to get more “faith” is to read and study God’s word. You need to get “built up” on scripture. Let me suggest you read the Bible stories in the Old Testament—they tell of the mighty wonderful works of God. They will get you acquainted with JEHOVAH. Specifically, the stories of Noah, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Joseph in the book of Genesis. The story of Moses and the exodus out of Egypt in Exodus, Joshua, Judges, the kings of the Jews and Esther. Ruth is a short story about a young girl like yourself who is a great role model for you.
In reading the Old Testament you really get to know God. You understand his great love and long suffering but you also realize His mighty power and you will LEARN to fear Him.
The New Testament is all about Christ the Messiah. And you will learn about the Holy Spirit and how He works. It is helpful to understand and get to know BOTH Jehovah God and Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit because they make up the Trinity or God head. So build your faith by reading the Bible. Build your faith in Jesus Christ by reading the 4 books that tell all about His life Here on earth—Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
Last, do a study of nothing but the Holy Spirit. Read every scripture about the Holy Spirit in the New Testament to get the “big picture.”. That way you will know all God tells us about Him. Here are some things to look for. 1)people in the New Testament got the Holy Spirit in different ways—not just 1 way. There were ONLY 2 times in the New Testament that the Holy Spirit was poured out on people in a miraculous way. Once, was in Acts 2, on the apostles, when they spoke in different tongues. This was a miracle. This time it was only on the Jews. The second time was in Acts 10. It was suddenly poured out on Cornelius and his house. This time it was poured out on the gentiles. When you study these 2 examples you will see that these people were NOT seeking the Spirit; they were NOT praying for it. It was a miraculous “sign.” First to show the Jews that the apostles were from God and that what they preached was from God. The second time it was to show the Jews that the gospel was for the gentiles, too, and not only the Jews. It was never given to “save” anyone. And no one else ever got a MIRACULOUS baptism of the Spirit. It was not intended for everybody. And it was only given at God’s discretion. No one could just have it because they wanted it. It was not given that way.
The second way people got the Spirit in the New Testament was by the apostles “laying their hands on them and giving it to them. Read Acts 8:18. Once all of the apostles died, the Spirit could no longer be given this way.
The last way the Spirit was given in the New Testament was when a person was baptized. Read Acts 2:38. The apostle Peter told those people—EVERYONE OF THEM—to be baptized,…FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS, and they would receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This is the only way anyone can get the Spirit today. We have to get it the same way THEY got it.

The Spirit has been promised to everyone who is baptized in the name of Jesus (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit-Matt. 38:18-19), for the forgiveness of sins. This is what God says in His Word. You can trust him to do what He says He will do. But God has NOT promised to save or give the Spirit to anyone who does not do what He says to do. Beware!! Men will tell you that baptism is NOT for the remission of sins and that you don’t even have to be baptized. But God has not promised to give His Spirit to anyone who does not obey his commands. Trust what God says in the Bible. Don’t listen to men. You must be saved by the Bible plan of salvation in order to get God’s Holy Spirit. His plan of salvation is to BELIEVE that Jesus is the Son of God, REPENT of your sins, Acts 3:19, CONFESS your belief in Jesus Romans 10:10 and Acts 8:37, and be baptized for the remission of sins. Acts 2:38, 1Peter 3:21, Acts 22:16, Mark 16:16. Please contact me if I can help you in your Bible study or answer any questions. Praying for you.

iHateSin

Aug 10, 2024
I totally understand, i feel the complete same thing. But to say this as simple as possible. Maybe the enemy is involved? And trying to drag you away from his love. But as the other guy said, i think as soon as you repent and accept jesus christ you will receive the holy spirit and youll be able to handle that temptation and feeling of not fearing, loving and knowing god.

Beckworth

May 15, 2019
God says that the way to get more faith is to read, study or listen to the word of God (the Bible). Roman’s 10:17.
I would especially recommend reading about the life of Jesus in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The more you know about Him, the stronger your faith will be.
Then, read the book of Acts to see how people in the New Testament were saved. If God saved them a certain way, we can be assured that He will save us the same way, because God is no respecter of persons.
You need to know what the Bible says because you seem to be going about this in the wrong way. For instance, you don’t get saved by crying out to God to save you. God has told us in the scriptures exactly what we must do to be saved and no one in the New Testament was ever saved by saying a prayer. Jesus tells us in Mark 16:16 “He that believes and is baptized will be saved.” Read what the apostle Peter told the Jews to do innActs 2:38. 3000 of them obeyed the gospel of Peter. They believed Jesus was the Son of God and they were baptized in His name for the remission of sins. Just like Jesus said in Mark 16:16. Peter said that you will be given the “gift” of the Holy Spirit when you are baptized. It will not be the MIRACULOUS portion of the Spirit like the apostles had or SOME had in the New Testament, because Paul said that part of the Holy Spirit has CEASED! Read 1 Cor. 13:9. We have the perfect revelation of God in the Bible. We don’t need those “gifts” anymore. But after your baptism you will have the Holy Spirit living in you. 1Corinthians tells us that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit and He lives in our body—as long as we do right. If we live sinful lives The Spirit will leave us. But if we repent, God forgives us if we are His child. He is full of mercy and forgiveness.
God also tells us in the scriptures that we must confess Christ as the Son of God. Romans 10:9,10 and Matthew 10:32. This is just what the Ethiopian eunuch did in Acts 8:37.Read about what he did to be saved in Acts 8:26-40. Other conversions in the Book of Acts are Saul in chapter 9, and 22:, Cornelius in chapter 10, Lydia and the jailer in chapter 16 and the Corinthians in chapter 18:8. You will find that they ALL did the same thing to be saved. They were all saved the same way. The obeyed Jesus in Mark 16:16–they everyone BELIEVED AND WERE BAPTIZED.
This is why it is so important to read and know what God says in The Bible. It is our instruction book. Don’t listen to any preacher or man. Read it for yourself and BE SURE you obey what God tells you to do. Praying for you🙏🏼🙏🏼.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
Being filled with the holy spirit can be thought of as a metaphor, it's there but it isn't always obvious. You may have an experience now and then where the holy spirit is fairly obvious, hence filled, I've had a few such moments, but don't assume you don't have it just because you don't see it active.

Apr 29, 2012
Being filled with the holy spirit can be thought of as a metaphor, it's there but it isn't always obvious. You may have an experience now and then where the holy spirit is fairly obvious, hence filled, I've had a few such moments, but don't assume you don't have it just because you don't see it active.
With all due respect, the Holy Spirit is a person - not an 'it'.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
your experience is what millions go thru. the devil has you right where he wants you. when a person becomes a born again Christian, you don't have to ask for the Holy Spirit. he dwells in every b.a. Christian's life. the devil knows everyone's weaknesses & is always on the attack. as a b.a. Christian, you can cast out the devil at all times. in other words, the evil has NO POWER against the believer unless the believer lets him. it could be that Jesus is calling out to you thru CC. Hebrews 3:7 & 8, 2nd Corinthians 6:2 & Psalms 3:7 &8 all teach NOW is the time to accept the Lord Jesus, to be born again. nothing may have happened because of your sin. that's possible. it really sounds like you need to be born again 1st!!!!!!!! then you will see & understand the truth of Jesus. don't allow yourself all this torment. BECOME A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN NOW. DON'T TARRY!!!! blessings to you.

Ballaurena

May 27, 2024
First off, it sounds like you are squarely on the path to me. Pretty standard stuff that some of us have to find our way through with God.

A big part of that is coming to understand both that our feelings are not always trustworthy, and that there is an enemy who lies to us, including by playing with our thoughts and feelings. For the latter, understand that not everything that goes on between your ears is coming from you or God, and you need to be careful not to accept responsibility for what isn't yours. At the very least you can recognize that it isn't what you are choosing going forward and that God's grace is sufficient.

In particular, understand that in the Bible Satan is described as the accuser of the brethren. One of the ways this comes up is how he makes us feel inappropriately guilty. You need to learn not to entertain this enemy thought which is really calling God a liar when He declares you forgiven. You can't always change your feelings but you can change your decisions. Decide who you are going to believe - Satan who says you are still guilty, or God who declares you clean?

Speaking again on feelings, they often function like an alarm. That is, they can help draw your attention to a situation for assessment but they can't tell you if the house is on fire or if someone burnt the popcorn. That has to be determined by other means. This also means that you have to be wise enough to recognize the truth about what is going on even if you don't experience an alarm / feelings. By all this I am speaking mostly of emotional feelings, for there are many different kinds of feelings with varying degrees of reliability.

enril

Aug 18, 2024
I am two months a believing christian (my family does'nt know that I was not a christian, I have a christian background.) and, scince my life-change, I have gained new clarity. If you have asked for forgiveness, and if you believe him, you are saved. if you know you are saved, you are. it's that simple. there is no feeling that will tell you that you are saved, (unless you are mormon) I personally, if you read my thread, have complete faith, and I get a feeling of peace, from the nightmares. the regret, the guilt. I've done some bad things. but, through him, I know, that I am saved. before, I was like, ''what if i got the words wrong, what if i did it wrong? if you believe in him, you are saved. its in the bible. you don't even need to pray the prayer. it's all about belief.