Notre Dame Cathedral on Fire

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

LadyInWaiting

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/notre-dame-fire/index.html

This makes me really sad. I have always wanted to see it. I know this isn't a Catholic forum, but I think we can all appreciate the beautiful architecture that was done on this church so many years ago.
I hope and pray that the fire doesn't cause too much damage to the Cathedral or any people involved.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I heard it was gone... completely destroyed. But I do not know for sure...

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
They are not sure if it can be saved. It seems as if the landmark is destroyed.

K

kaylagrl

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/notre-dame-fire/index.html

This makes me really sad. I have always wanted to see it. I know this isn't a Catholic forum, but I think we can all appreciate the beautiful architecture that was done on this church so many years ago.
I hope and pray that the fire doesn't cause too much damage to the Cathedral or any people involved.

Odd fact, not too far from me is a basilica that is a replica of Notre Dame. I have been there a couple of times. I recall them saying the round window at the back was like the one in Notre Dame. It also has the largest handmade stained glass window in the world. I was able to attend a service there in memory of 9/11. I was able to listen the pipe organ play. it was rapturous. I imagine it will now have more visitors and focus than before.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Odd fact, not too far from me is a basilica that is a replica of Notre Dame. I have been there a couple of times. I recall them saying the round window at the back was like the one in Notre Dame. It also has the largest handmade stained glass window in the world. I was able to attend a service there in memory of 9/11. I was able to listen the pipe organ play. it was rapturous. I imagine it will now have more visitors and focus than before.
From geekychristian.com;
The idea for the temple originated with David, not God. David felt guilty when he compared his magnificent palace with the humble tent. God never asked David to build it, nor did He give any instructions.

Apr 15, 2019
One doesn't have to be Catholic or religious at all, to appreciate the sheer magnificence and beauty of Notre Dame. It is a huge blow to the identity of the European people, and many around the world. What's even more troubling, are the comments and things I've seen people say about it online, almost rejoicing that it happened.

K

kaylagrl

One doesn't have to be Catholic or religious at all, to appreciate the sheer magnificence and beauty of Notre Dame. It is a huge blow to the identity of the European people, and many around the world. What's even more troubling, are the comments and things I've seen people say about it online, almost rejoicing that it happened.
I don't know why anyone would rejoice in that. But I'm a lover of history so I see it as a great loss. I don't have to believe as Catholics believe to see the sadness of it.

Apr 15, 2019
I don't know why anyone would rejoice in that. But I'm a lover of history so I see it as a great loss. I don't have to believe as Catholics believe to see the sadness of it.
I know. It's sad that people would find joy and entertainment out of seeing historical, irreplaceable relics and architecture, burn. One doesn't have to look to hard to see the comments I'm referring to. They are everywhere online.

K

kaylagrl

I know. It's sad that people would find joy and entertainment out of seeing historical, irreplaceable relics and architecture, burn. One doesn't have to look to hard to see the comments I'm referring to. They are everywhere online.

I honestly don't know what's wrong with people these days. They say they will rebuild but I doubt they have anyone with the know how and the dedication to see it through.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The fire broke my heart, despite being Protestant my whole life. It is. not about religious faith, but rather, the lines of the Cathedral swoop upwards towards thoughts of God. The Gothic Cathedrals of Europe were located in areas where no other buildings were more than one story. Thus, the Cathedrals dominated the surrounding landscape, a symbol of the glory of God

I studied Gothic and Gothic Revival as part of my undergrad degree. My prof said it didn't matter whether I thought the cathedrals represented God or not. It mattered that for all those centuries, people in their mundane peasant lives were lifted up, having been confronted with the glory and grandeur of buildings dedicated to God.

I am not one who believes God is in the building. God dwells in his people. But, I am literate. I can read the Bible, communicate in the internet, and read sermons online. The medieval peasants had none of those advantages. The church, the art, architecture, music, was what they had to focus upward to God.

Yesterday, the iconic Cathedral de Notre Dame was horribly burned. More than just Catholics, Christians, also unbelievers were grieved to see this beautiful church almost ruined.

It was a symbol of God, for people 850 years ago, up to today. It survived the French Revolution, Napoleon, two World Wars, and served as a centre of culture in France. Jesus will, of course return in his time, regardless of whether the Cathedral is rebuilt of not! But for me, wanting to see the Cathedral was a bucket list item! I will never get to see the Cathedral my grandmother visited who was born and lived in France. I'm so glad I can look to Jesus, instead of a Cathedral dedicated to God. But, my human side weeps that I will never see this masterpiece dedicated to the glory of God, on this side of the grave.

Apr 15, 2019
I'm so sorry, Angela. I share in your sadness. I have never been to France, but it is on my bucket list too. The Cathedral de Notre Dame was of course on the list of place I wanted to see in Paris. Perhaps once I finally get there, it will be partially restored or maybe even fully restored, who knows. I know it can be restored, but it will never truly be the same. I understand what you mean about God not being in a building, but in us all. But of course, our human side is mourning the loss of precious art and architecture.

K

kaylagrl

The fire broke my heart, despite being Protestant my whole life. It is. not about religious faith, but rather, the lines of the Cathedral swoop upwards towards thoughts of God. The Gothic Cathedrals of Europe were located in areas where no other buildings were more than one story. Thus, the Cathedrals dominated the surrounding landscape, a symbol of the glory of God

I studied Gothic and Gothic Revival as part of my undergrad degree. My prof said it didn't matter whether I thought the cathedrals represented God or not. It mattered that for all those centuries, people in their mundane peasant lives were lifted up, having been confronted with the glory and grandeur of buildings dedicated to God.

I am not one who believes God is in the building. God dwells in his people. But, I am literate. I can read the Bible, communicate in the internet, and read sermons online. The medieval peasants had none of those advantages. The church, the art, architecture, music, was what they had to focus upward to God.

Yesterday, the iconic Cathedral de Notre Dame was horribly burned. More than just Catholics, Christians, also unbelievers were grieved to see this beautiful church almost ruined.

It was a symbol of God, for people 850 years ago, up to today. It survived the French Revolution, Napoleon, two World Wars, and served as a centre of culture in France. Jesus will, of course return in his time, regardless of whether the Cathedral is rebuilt of not! But for me, wanting to see the Cathedral was a bucket list item! I will never get to see the Cathedral my grandmother visited who was born and lived in France. I'm so glad I can look to Jesus, instead of a Cathedral dedicated to God. But, my human side weeps that I will never see this masterpiece dedicated to the glory of God, on this side of the grave.

I know, I was reading up on the history of it. They said that the trees they used were possibly from the 5th or 6th centuries!! Because the wood used would have been a couple hundred years old. Amazing!! So sad to see the loss but at least they were able to keep it from completely going down.

A priest said yesterday that the roof had formed a cross, I never knew that. I checked the Basilica that is close to me and they also have the roof in the form of the cross. I hope to make a trip there again soon, it's the closest I've been to the real thing. But such a pity that so much history has been lost. As commentators have said "no one builds buildings like that anymore." A whole different mindset then compared to now.

Natasha91

Apr 27, 2019
I was so saddened to hear about the Notre Dame fire... Such a beautiful, sacred space with so much history. A great loss to the world, and especially the French people. I'd hoped to visit there one day.