NY Governor Cuomo: ‘Extreme Conservatives Have No Place In New York’

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Governor Cuomo: ‘Extreme Conservatives Have No Place In New York’ - The Daily Beast

The NY Governor has set off a right-wing firestorm, standing accused of seeking to stifle free speech and political plurality. The freak upshot: Donald Trump may run for President.
By most measures, New York is pretty much already a one-party state. All three statewide office holders are Democrats, as are both U.S. Senators, and 22 out of the state’s 27 members of Congress. A Democrat hasn’t lost statewide since 2002; a Republican presidential candidate hasn’t carried the state since 1984.
But when Gov. Andrew Cuomo suggested on a public radio station on Friday that “extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault—weapon, anti-gay…have no place in the State of New York” it set off an uproar on right wing radio stations, blogs and Twitter feeds.
Never mind for the moment that even a cursory listen of Cuomo’s remarks reveals that he was not talking about whether or not extreme conservative New Yorkers are welcome in the state, but the political prospects of extreme conservative political candidates—a subject Cuomo knows well, since he defeated a Tea Party-backed opponent by 27 points in 2010 to win his seat.
By the end of the weekend, stories that the governor of New York thinks that conservatives have “no place in New York” were posted on Glenn Beck’s website“The Blaze;” and the National Review online, where a blogger said that Cuomo was promoting a “culture of death” and wanted to banish “anyone with a heart for the unborn to New Jersey.”
In an open letter to the governor, Beck himself wondered if Cuomo wanted to bring tyranny to the state. “Would you stand against your constituents and blot them out into the darkness merely because you disagree with them, or because it serves you or your party politically?” he wrote. “Would disenfranchised peoples have ever gained their freedoms in this country were it not for the right to free speech, and the pluralistic and truly diverse society that free speech facilitates?”
On the website of the Archdiocese of New York, an aide to Cardinal Timothy Dolan wrote that, “It is deeply troubling when an elected official, who took an oath to uphold the Constitutions of our state and nation, casts out of polite society all those who disagree with him. Remarks like these reflect not only a noxious political climate in our nation, but a deep-seated spiritual malady that St. Augustine called the libido dominandi, the lust to dominate and rule.”
A number of conservative bloggers called for a state boycott and Sean Hannity took the occasion to threaten to move out of state, although it appears as if taxes and the lack of local fishing holes had more to do with his apparently imminent departure.
“What Andrew Cuomo has revealed is his true self, because we see just how angry and radical his views are”

“Now I want to tell you something—I was born and raised in New York,” Hannity said on his radio show on Monday. “I want you to know that and I can’t wait to get out of here. I really can’t. I don’t want to pay their 10-percent state tax anymore. I live in the second-highest property taxed county in the entire country in Nassau County. I can’t wait to sell my house to somebody who wants it. I can’t wait to pay no state income tax down in Florida or Texas. I haven’t decided yet, but I’m leaning Florida because I like the water and I like to fish.”
On Sunday, the Cuomo administration fired back, naming in particular the New York Post and its influential Albany bureau chief, Fred Dicker—a one-time Cuomo supporter who turned on the administration after the governor re-upped a tax on upper income earners that was set to expire in 2011—for misleadingly reporting Cuomo’s claims.
On an open letter posted to the governor’s website, Mylan Denerstein, counsel to the governor said, “As we approach the political season we expect the campaign dialogue to become more heated on both sides. We understand the New York Post is an opinionated newspaper and that Fred Dicker is an extreme conservative. However responsibility must not be forsaken. Dicker’s story that the Governor said Conservatives have no place in New York is unfair, false and the exact opposite of what his tenure as Attorney General and his state administration has been all about.”
She added, “The Governor was making the point that he makes often: New York is a politically moderate state and an extremist agenda is not politically viable statewide. New York has a long history of electing Democrats and Republicans statewide who are moderate rather than on the extreme ends of the political spectrum. That is an inarguable fact.”
Republicans in New York have jumped on Cuomo’s remarks, hoping for an opening in a state where the governor boasts of a 66 percent approval rating and where he leads his potential Republican gubernatorial opponents by more than 50 points in recent polls. Rob Astorino, the county executive of Westchester and a possible opponent to the governor, harkened back to Martin Luther King, Jr, on Monday, calling Cuomo’s comments “just the kind of intolerance that is directly opposite to what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. preached” and said that, “What Andrew Cuomo has revealed by these statements is his true self, because we see just how angry and radical his views are.” State GOP chairman Ed Cox called on Cuomo to apologize.
Members of the governor’s inner circle dismissed the criticism as just the latest right-wing outrage moment, and one that is factually entirely without merit. But the controversy comes as Cuomo has been gearing up for his re-election bid. He already has $33 million in the bank, and has been more willing to embrace his progressive flank by pushing for medical marijuana, universal pre-K and yes, even expanded abortion rights.
No matter one’s reading of Cuomo comments, they appear to be having some effect. Donald Trump, who had been threatening to run for Governor as an “extreme conservative”, travelled to New Hampshire on Tuesday and suggested that he would like to run for President instead—his views, apparently, no longer welcome in the Empire State.

1still_waters

Imagine if a conservative governor said no pro-choice, pro-gun control, liberal has any place in government.

Ooooh my oh my...Rachel Maddow and MSNBC would be covering it wall to wall, as blood pressure pills to the liberal-sphere tripled.

1still_waters

Well lookie who posted a thread at the same time I did. :O

Me thinks the libbies might be havin a hard time today. :p

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Im on my political soapbox today. On CC, and facebook.
Watch out libs!

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
As a resident of NY, I am so incredibly appalled by Cuomo's statements. My hubby and I are SERIOUSLY looking at moving. We're definitely looking into other places to live, like Texas. We need to find jobs down there, however, long-distance, which is tough. But, like Hannity, we're on a mission to get out of this horrible state.

The only good things here: we like where we live and who we work for and we LOVE our church (and I have a music ministry there that would be hard to leave).

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
As a resident of NY, I am so incredibly appalled by Cuomo's statements. My hubby and I are SERIOUSLY looking at moving. We're definitely looking into other places to live, like Texas. We need to find jobs down there, however, long-distance, which is tough. But, like Hannity, we're on a mission to get out of this horrible state.

The only good things here: we like where we live and who we work for and we LOVE our church (and I have a music ministry there that would be hard to leave).
Cost of living in southern states is ALOT less than up north anyway.
Remember, no one travels up north to retire ;)

Tr

Banned
Jan 22, 2014
I would never trade New York for Texas. You had better look into the type of people you will be around.

Unless you want to see mobile homes, rusty car lawn art and general serious poverty oh and poisoned water from coal chemicals etc you should not move to an impoverished area like Texas, Indiana, WV and other states. Google before you decide anything.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I would never trade New York for Texas. You had better look into the type of people you will be around.

Unless you want to see mobile homes, rusty car lawn art and general serious poverty oh and poisoned water from coal chemicals etc you should not move to an impoverished area like Texas, Indiana, WV and other states. Google before you decide anything.
I see you have never been to texas, indiana, wv or other states. If you had you would realize how ignorant your statement is.

Tr

Banned
Jan 22, 2014
I have seen the poverty first hand and it's not a joke. I'm old stock from Texas and I can tell you my people had it good compared to most and that was only because of corruption and screwing others over to survive.

Check out the homes in NY and IL compared to those in Indiana and Texas ;)

A

Anonimous

I've been told that the homes in Sodom and Gomorrah were pretty nice...before all that hot ash and fire drove down property values...

B

biscuit

Imagine if a conservative governor said no pro-choice, pro-gun control, liberal has any place in government.

Ooooh my oh my...Rachel Maddow and MSNBC would be covering it wall to wall, as blood pressure pills to the liberal-sphere tripled.
LOL !! You got that right.

B

biscuit

And they wonder why they are losing population!!! One could not pay me to live in NY. Lived 50 miles east of NYC in Bridgeport, CT for several years. I presently got tired of the northeast and moved to the Rocky Mountain region and been there for 34 years.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I have seen the poverty first hand and it's not a joke. I'm old stock from Texas and I can tell you my people had it good compared to most and that was only because of corruption and screwing others over to survive.

Check out the homes in NY and IL compared to those in Indiana and Texas ;)
Yes, I am sure the Bush family lives in a run down trailer park.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Liberal hypocrisy in denying liberty to others is astoundingly "normal" these days.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
This woman has always been horrible and beyond crude. This is the type of resident Cuomo wants. CAUTION: There is rough language and highly offensive anti- Christian pro-life imagery, but it's important to see just how depraved hollywood and democrats are.

[video=youtube;ahdR6aHQvMQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdR6aHQvMQ[/video]

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
After that new york seems like a nice place to move to i've always liked cities

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Huh with the hype about Cuomo, we all know it is (still) Bush's fault. :rolleyes:

A

AgeofKnowledge

Don't forget to keep a couple of twenty dollar bills in your wallet at all times as NYC has a reoccurring problem with some of their Democrat voters robbing people at knife point for a fix and murdering them if they don't have the money for a fix on them.

After that new york seems like a nice place to move to i've always liked cities