Observing the sabbath???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I agree that God intended for us to have available to us a day of "rest"... whatever that means for each of us, individually.
Where it becomes "wrong" in my opinion, is when WE try to enforce a bunch of "rules" about it. Can't go to work, can't go out to eat, can't buy anything, can't travel.... The Pharisees went down that road, and made the Sabbath a chore, instead of a blessing.
It is more of an individual thing... not a corporate "event".
How a person "remembers the sabbath" as a set-aside day is up to them.... if it means getting out to the lake for some quiet time fishing, or taking a long, restful nap... it's individual. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for ALL people.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
If you talk to God about it He will lead you into all truth.
No need talking to God about it. He's already told us in His word that no one day is any holier than another. No "special revelation" is necessary.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
I agree that God intended for us to have available to us a day of "rest"... whatever that means for each of us, individually.
Where it becomes "wrong" in my opinion, is when WE try to enforce a bunch of "rules" about it. Can't go to work, can't go out to eat, can't buy anything, can't travel.... The Pharisees went down that road, and made the Sabbath a chore, instead of a blessing.
It is more of an individual thing... not a corporate "event".
How a person "remembers the sabbath" as a set-aside day is up to them.... if it means getting out to the lake for some quiet time fishing, or taking a long, restful nap... it's individual. What is right for one person is not necessarily right for ALL people.
The standard is God and His righteousness, not man.

When we start to make our own rules we are doing the same as the pharisees.

We can go both ways and lower Gods standards to justify our sin or we can add to them and make them a chore.

The best thing to do is follow God and His standard.

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The Sabbath was given before sin entered.
The sabbath was a gift for us and made holy before anyone sinned.

When it states.... Gal 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator....
Which law is it referring to?

Added because of transgression = there must have been a law to define transgression, before this law was added.
Till the seed should come = if all laws were removed when Jesus came we would be a lawless world with no order. Sin still exists so a law must still be defining what is sin.

After Christ fulfilled the plan of salvation, the shadow laws are not needed anymore.

But the sabbath was set up before we needed a saviour so it wasn't a shadow law added after sin.
“The shadow laws are pointing to Christ and the plan of salvation.”

You’re saying the sabbath isn’t a shadow ?

“blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; and having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.”
‭‭Colossians‬ ‭2:14-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Our sabbath rest is still to come you find the New Testament sabbath is a promise that we will one day enter rest from our labors and reap the rewards

“For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:8-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

It’s good advice to rest a day a week , but it’s not a law for Christians it never was for anyone but israel never commanded for anyone ever to keep the sabbath but the children of Israel in Moses law

christians have a much greater covenant and much greater sabbath understanding

It’s lawful in Christ to do good every day regardless of the activity of its good and helpful and approved by God it’s lawful on what israel calls the sabbath day.

It wasn’t for them they couldn’t build a fire for heat on a sabbath couldn’t pick up a stick , couldn’t gather any food , couldn’t cook any food , could t leave thier house but specifically we need to grasp that it was a commandment given to israel in the desert of sin we don’t need the laws we have the author jesus and his word see they needed it form this reason

“Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.”
‭‭Exodus‬ ‭31:13-18‬ ‭KJV‬‬

we have the reality in the gospel and the sign of Jesus resurrection to know he is God who sanctifies us not to keep a sabbath that was the old shadow covenant

Christ and the gospel is all sufficient and Moses law was a different covenant with different people

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
No need talking to God about it. He's already told us in His word that no one day is any holier than another. No "special revelation" is necessary.
ehat if someone is convinced they need to keep the sabbath though ? And another doesn’t believe that ?

a should we argue until we agree and belittle the other guys belief ? Or should we each honor our own faith regarding such things ?

“Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14:1, 5-6‬ ‭KJV‬‬

if I’m convinced the sabbath is special and important I myself need to honor it

if I understand the sabbath is a different covenant and consider every day the same then I’m free to walk by that faith

Its whether we’re doing good or evil every day that matters not whether we consider one day a week to be special and holy

some think the sabbath is important they need to honor that ot it will cause an issue in thier conscience because deep down they really do believe they need to keep it

The mistake is when we try to make everyone else believe the same thing we do regarding irrelevant issues some will believe the sabbath is important they like keep it others aren’t hindered by that thought and know each day is the lords and each day we rest in him

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Any one choosing to 'obey; sabbath teaching,. should not use tap water . Using water causes the watercrew to work. no flushing. dont flip the switch some one is watching the grid. driving to church does that cause the 'city' to monitor the traffic lights? Heat in the church does that put anyone in the line of labour. Would a service dog kinda fit a in place of cattle?
I believe God created us in need of a day of rest we should rest. But getting kookoo about it is nuts. Stressing about keeping such is labour in its self. Not everyone rests the same. Mom could rest setting around Dad rested best fly fishing. At what point is attempting to law an insult to the Lord Jesus? Was His work not enough?

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
I knew people who wouldn't buy on the Sabbath. They were good people. I personally think food service is just the same as cooking at home. But it's really up to employers to decide if manual labor is done on the Sabbath. After all you can't lose your job. It's up to christian leaders to decide in the work place.

That's true, I would say to any individual that they can pray and or fast and pray, if needed to keep the Sabbath of the Lord thy God on the seventh day of the week. Because it can be hard finding employment. Remember what Jesus says in Matthew 19: 26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. With God all things are possible.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
The standard is God and His righteousness, not man.

When we start to make our own rules we are doing the same as the pharisees.

We can go both ways and lower Gods standards to justify our sin or we can add to them and make them a chore.

The best thing to do is follow God and His standard.

said to Israel only at Sinai.

not to gentiles.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
The shadow laws are pointing to Christ and the plan of salvation.”

You’re saying the sabbath isn’t a shadow ?
Yes i strongly believe the weekly Sabbath is not a shadow.
The yearly sabbaths are a shadow.
These yearly sabbaths were nailed to the cross. They were part of the feasts and ordanaces that helped Israel understand the plan of salvation.

The weekly sabbath was made holy before sin entered and was sanctified on the seventh day of creation. Why does God ask us to keep it Holy?
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy..... 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

It isn't a shadow of salvation, it is a memorial of Creation.

I do believe that we find rest in Jesus, And i don't believe that keeping the law will save me. I keep the sabbath for the same reason that people choose not to lie, or steal. Because i love the Lord.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
believe God created us in need of a day of rest we should rest. But getting kookoo about it is nuts. Stressing about keeping such is labour in its self. Not everyone rests the same. Mom could rest setting around Dad rested best fly fishing. At what point is attempting to law an insult to the Lord Jesus? Was His work not enough?
I haven't set any standards
I've only said follow Gods standards.
Jesus's righteousness is what makes us perfect but do you continue to sin because of the grace Jesus is giving us.
If God said remember the seventh day and people say no God we would like to remember the 1st day instead. I would call that disrespectful, but if you think it is fine, thats your free choice.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
said to Israel only at Sinai.

not to gentiles.
Heb 4:8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
If God said remember the seventh day and people say no God we would like to remember the
1st day instead. I would call that disrespectful, but if you think it is fine, thats your free choice.
Monday is the first day of the week for a lot of people. Sunday is part of the weekend, ya know? The last day of the week.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Monday is the first day of the week for a lot of people. Sunday is part of the weekend, ya know? The last day of the week.
I thought the same until i was shown Gods weekly cycle. It is easy to see that the sabbath that God said to remember is Friday sunset until Saturday sunset.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
These yearly sabbaths were nailed to the cross. They were part of the feasts and ordanaces that helped Israel understand the plan of salvation.

The weekly sabbath was made holy before sin entered and was sanctified on the seventh day of creation. Why does God ask us to keep it Holy?
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy..... 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

I do believe that we find rest in Jesus, And i don't believe that keeping the law will save me. I keep the sabbath for the same reason that people choose not to lie, or steal. Because i love the Lord.
i appreciate the good spirit in your response and not argument because we don’t fully agree that’s always appreciated and necassary to communicate

“Yes i strongly believe the weekly Sabbath is not a shadow.”

can I ask what scriptural basis your separating one command of Moses from all the others ? Remember that the law the entire book of Moses is one indivisible law

what I mean is this

“For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:10‬ ‭

Awee if I don’t kill anyone or don’t steal yet Commit adultery I’m guilty of breaking Gods entire law. This proves I’m a sinner too like everyone else even if I keep every ordinance and tittle but then break one commandment it makes me a lawbreaker

the law is a whole it requires a person to keep every command written by Moses to the children of Israel

“For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith. And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.”
‭‭Galatians‬ ‭3:10-12‬

it seems your basing it on God made the heaven and earth and then rested

But what about this ?

“For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth:

and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭65:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

we’re part of a new creation and aren’t bound to the old fading shadows regarding this natural and temporal world

Remember how the law was given when God said from Sinai “ thou shalt do no work on the seventh day it’s holy “ how the mountain was ablaze and the earth quakes and everyone was so terrified to hear his voice ? That’s not the word of our covenant nd we aren’t allowed to pick certain things out of that law because to keep the law we have to keep every word of it but thankfully Gods spoken a better word and promised a better world

“For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, and the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: (for they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: and so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)

( that’s a record of the giving of the Ten Commandments from Sinai )

but ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all,

and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭12:18-24‬ ‭

All this being said brother truthfully of one is convinced the sabbath is something they need to keep they need to

abut also one would have to actually see all the rules regarding it if we’re actually trying to honor what God said there there are Many rules regarding the sabbath day

at he many sabbaths God spoke in the law everyone was a holy day to israel to violate any of them was the same transgression the seventh day sabbath was no different I’m not saying that as my opinion but that’s actually what the law bears out

If God makes any day holy it’s a holy day if it’s the seventh of the week or one of the other holy days he spoke for them

I appreciate your position and points and in the end we each have to walk by the faith in our heart regarding things like that

its not that I need to convince you the sabbath isn’t for you , or you need to convince me or others that they need to keep the sabbath . But it’s about honoring what we each believe regarding these inconsequential matters

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Yes, we are to observe the Sabbath: every day the Rest of God is available for us and we should live in it.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Are we allowed to buy or sell on the sabbath?? Can we eat out on the sabbath??? Are we allowed to cook- prepare meals on sabbath??? Any help?
:) I do.. and even have worked. I know what that day was for. Made for man not man for the Sabbath. It is amazing how something so simple said can be missed.

Oct 29, 2022
Everyone here has his own take on the law, the commandments and the sabbath. Is not sabbath observance part of the 10 commandments?

Deu 5:12 Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee.
Deu 5:13 Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work:
Deu 5:14 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

Yeshua asked us to keep the commandments, did he not? I am not referring to the 613 laws like some people claim, but the 10 commandments.

Jesus the son of GOD said;
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Yeshua's words are not open to interpretation, they are very clear.

Blessings to you all who believe in the word.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Moses gave the law in stone, that is stone of the earth. When God told us to be circumcised, it was to cut flesh as a symbol. When Christ died for our sins, the law itself was not changed, but how we are to obey did change. Instead of using symbols we are to obey in spirit and truth.

We are to be circumcised by setting ourselves apart, living as a human belonging to God. Special diet of only clean foods that didn't eat garbage was taken away, but the law changed from a law of the flesh, the spiritual law to not put garbage in our minds and soul that the diet commands were a symbol of changed and the law became a law pf spirit and truth.

We are given a law of the Sabbath, and Christ made it a law of spirit and truth. Christ did not take away or change anything the Father of Christ established. (our Father too) So Christ made it a day stripped of earthly rules like how far to walk on the Sabbath, etc. but we are to keep it in our heart and soul.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Better to observe the One who Gives Sabbath. The Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Anyways, I think the original poster was just trolling you guys. And you fell for it like you always do. We're like wind-up toys. Automatic responses to certain stimuli. But you would disagree with that too, even though I could show evidence...:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: