Old threads being brought up

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
And people always complain about it. But it's always going to happen people either don't notice or don't care. I was wondering if maybe some script could be applied, to automatically lock all threads older than a certain period of time if there were no new posts for a period of time.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
And people always complain about it. But it's always going to happen people either don't notice or don't care. I was wondering if maybe some script could be applied, to automatically lock all threads older than a certain period of time if there were no new posts for a period of time.
That is not a bad idea actually for the threads that have been inactive for a set period of time with no posts being submitted.

Personally, it doesn't bother me when a member brings up a zombie thread. Some thread topics are always relevant to some members. Now, if someone is asking for dating advice or counsel on marital problems and it has been a year or 5 years or 10 years since the OP, yes, that would be a good use to close the thread. Someone may be complaining about husband #1 but by the time a member replies 5 or 10 years later, they are now on husband #3. Probably still having marital problems though.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
The software doesn't work well with customizations.
Also Robo stated years ago he has no interest in locking threads.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
It seems to me that even when a thread is grave bumped...it could be relevant to someone somewhere.

A "thread age" warning would be cool if it were easy to implement. Most of the people I see gravebumping are new members that don't notice the date and probably just did a search for a topic.

Warning: This thread is 10 years old, are you sure you want to bump it? I react to old threads but I don't usually post in them.

Or dates bolded over 1 year with no new posts? Idk how customizable this site is, but I do let people know if they are new when I see it.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
It seems to me that even when a thread is grave bumped...it could be relevant to someone somewhere.

A "thread age" warning would be cool if it were easy to implement. Most of the people I see gravebumping are new members that don't notice the date and probably just did a search for a topic.

Warning: This thread is 10 years old, are you sure you want to bump it? I react to old threads but I don't usually post in them.

Or dates bolded over 1 year with no new posts? Idk how customizable this site is, but I do let people know if they are new when I see it.
That seems pretty useful. It's only up to what admins want, but would be pretty nice... yeah a little popup with "are you sure you want to resurrect this zombie..." or something would be great...

Also it would be great to make it a bit more visible when someone is banned, big bold red letters BANNED, maybe bigger font if needed, because people often respond to banned members...

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

The software the site is built on is Not very customizable unfortunately. Thats why so little is done.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
instead of saying BANNED maybe say no longer active or has left the building.
Or is sleeping.

maybe reserve the banned thread thing for obvious trolls.