On being worthy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mark47Oz

Jun 4, 2021
I have recently come back into the light after about a 28 year absence (more than half my life) And this morning I was praying as is becoming a new habit and I said to God, "Lord, you know why I am not back in church yet, but I feel like everything I am doing is so inadequate. My life has been a big waste, lived far apart from your Glory and yet you called me out and have brought me back. I feel like I am contributing nothing - other than prayer, what am I offering you?"

And he gave me this scripture from the gospel of Mark, Ch 12

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

I was blown away and moved to tears by this. I remember this story well from days when I was a participant in my local parish. We were taught that it was mainly about tithing and large public acts to garner attention ie Those who donate large amounts with great fanfare to seek attention and glorify themselves. But the Holy spirit showed me that prayer is an offering too and that while I am feeling like I am doing very little, Jesus knows that it is all that I have to give right now.

So I just wanted to share this because maybe you too feel like you fall short. As God has just shown me, as long as you are giving him all that you can, it is enough.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
He serves also who waits on the Lord. Prayer is one of the works our Father has given us. You are blessedly right in this understanding, I believe, amen.

Mar 4, 2020
I have recently come back into the light after about a 28 year absence (more than half my life) And this morning I was praying as is becoming a new habit and I said to God, "Lord, you know why I am not back in church yet, but I feel like everything I am doing is so inadequate. My life has been a big waste, lived far apart from your Glory and yet you called me out and have brought me back. I feel like I am contributing nothing - other than prayer, what am I offering you?"

And he gave me this scripture from the gospel of Mark, Ch 12

41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.
43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

I was blown away and moved to tears by this. I remember this story well from days when I was a participant in my local parish. We were taught that it was mainly about tithing and large public acts to garner attention ie Those who donate large amounts with great fanfare to seek attention and glorify themselves. But the Holy spirit showed me that prayer is an offering too and that while I am feeling like I am doing very little, Jesus knows that it is all that I have to give right now.

So I just wanted to share this because maybe you too feel like you fall short. As God has just shown me, as long as you are giving him all that you can, it is enough.
That is beautiful and moving. Thank you for sharing that. For One with as much glory and power as God, it feels like we can never do enough to hold a candle to His light, but as your pointed out, the scriptures surely says otherwise.

This verse came to mind:

Hebrews 13:15-19
15By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. 16But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

You're on the right track Mark47. May our dear Lord bless you. Amen.