On This Day in Church History

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 22, 2024
On this day in church history
Four hundred and sixty years ago, John Calvin died in Geneva, Switzerland on May 27, 1564 at the age of 54 years old.

Whether you agree or disagree with his theology, he was a greatly influential Christian theologian.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Whether you agree or disagree with his theology, he was a greatly influential Christian theologian.
There are probably many influential so called Christian Theologians who have wrongly divided the word of God and Calvin was one of them -----creating His own religion and developing the tulip concept ---and gravely misleading his follows with twisting the predestination scripture to mean something it does not -----so True Christians are to be able to discern what is right and wrong Interpretations when dealing with God's Word so they can know who to listen to and who not to listen to -----

Very important for true Christians to get a hold of in my view ------

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
This thread has me curious, not for the subject matter, but the 'name' of its author.
Why is your name CheckeredHeart? To me, it doesn't 'seem' to be a quality christian name.
Did you name yourself that on purpose?

May 22, 2024
This thread has me curious, not for the subject matter, but the 'name' of its author.
Why is your name CheckeredHeart? To me, it doesn't 'seem' to be a quality christian name.
Did you name yourself that on purpose?
Well, you’ll have to visit the newbies introduction page and read my blurb for that answer.😊

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Calvin was influential. But, then, so was Darwin.

Apr 2, 2024
Calvin had some strange ideas about the spiritual gifts stopping in the 1st century.

I do respect the part he played in the reformation and his anti RCC stance.

May 22, 2024
David Brainard, John Elliot, nd Jonathan Edwards are just three galvanised who worked hard to spread Christianity.

If one hates Calvin, one also hates those who followed his theology.

May 22, 2024
David Brainard, John Elliot, nd Jonathan Edwards are just three galvanised who worked hard to spread Christianity.

If one hates Calvin, one also hates those who followed his theology.
The title of this post signals a theme to follow: Church History.
It was started on Memorial Day, after all.

I prefer that this thread not degenerate into a Calvinist confrontation.

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
Today is May 28:

On Monday night, May 28, 1453, the last Christian worship service was held in Hagia Sophia, which had been the spiritual heart and head of Byzantine Orthodoxy

May 28, 1533: English reformer Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, declares King Henry VIII's marriage to Anne Boleyn valid

May 1, 1873 -- Missionary-explorer David Livingstone died

In the past on May 28 Pentecost Sunday took place.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Yes he was. It is very unfortunate that he created another gospel. He could have helped millions to know the true Gospel. In his Bible commentaries, he could not avoid presenting the true interpretation. But then he also added his own warped interpretation.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I prefer that this thread not degenerate into a Calvinist confrontation.
It's seem unrealistic to be surprised that people are discussing Calvin... when you brought up Calvin in the Opening Post.

You inserted Calvin.
Now people are talking about Calvin.

Welcome to CC... where... people frequently debate Calvin.
: )

FollowerofShiloh

Jan 24, 2024
June 3, in Church History:

Sunday, 3 June 1162, Henry of Blois, Bishop of Winchester, consecrated Becket archbishop of Canterbury, with the assistance of thirteen other bishops. Almost at once Becket surprised the king by resigning the chancellorship, thus establishing his independence.

June 3, 1980: Catholic and Eastern Orthodox representatives meet officially for the first time since the Great Schism of 1054

Monday, June 3. 1098. Armies of the First Crusade (1096-99) captured the city of Antioch (in modern Syria)

For June 3rd, Orthodox Churches on the Old Calendar commemorate the Saints listed on May 21

June 6, 1756 -- John Roth, born February 3, 1726, in Germany, was commissioned for Moravian missionary service in a Pennsylvania "colony" of single brethren.