On trees

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What is your favourite tree
Maybe it will tell us something about yourself.
And have you planted any recently?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Oh... That's a completely different direction.

When I saw the thread title "On Trees" my first thought was "dog pee."

Apr 3, 2020
As and expert i would say a big red oak or pin oak thats been trimmed at least once. Branches so hard its like walking on a sidewalk. Enough limbs to get a perfect tie in spot every time. Tall enough to catch a breeze on a hot day.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
As and expert i would say a big red oak or pin oak thats been trimmed at least once. Branches so hard its like walking on a sidewalk. Enough limbs to get a perfect tie in spot every time. Tall enough to catch a breeze on a hot day.
Have I asked you this before, if so forgive me, are you an arborist?

There are so many trees its hard to pick a favourite. But from my parts it has to be pohutakawa, also known as nz christmas tree, as it flowers red in December. It can grow on sand and rock. And the wood is very hard. It doesnt grow straight up, it kind of spreads itself out like a spider.

Jun 6, 2021
What is your favourite tree
Maybe it will tell us something about yourself.
And have you planted any recently?
So many to choose from. so let's see...

Maybe a Ginkgo, Maple or Golden Elm in their spectacular autumn colours, or an old mighty Beech Tree with its thick roots and smooth bark, or a Birch with its beautiful white bark and delicious sap, or a Willow blowing softly in the wind, or a Cherry, Apple, Peach, or other fruit Tree in its blossom, or a tall Spruce or Fir with snow on their branches, or... I can go on all day...

But if I really had to pick one, then I'd probably go with the Tree of Life. I hear its fruit is pretty good.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
So many to choose from. so let's see...

Maybe a Ginkgo, Maple or Golden Elm in their spectacular autumn colours, or an old mighty Beech Tree with its thick roots and smooth bark, or a Birch with its beautiful white bark and delicious sap, or a Willow blowing softly in the wind, or a Cherry, Apple, Peach, or other fruit Tree in its blossom, or a tall Spruce or Fir with snow on their branches, or... I can go on all day...

But if I really had to pick one, then I'd probably go with the Tree of Life. I hear its fruit is pretty good.
coconut!
unfortunately, it does not grow in the climate zone where I am.

I think willows are beautiful trees, but the council thinks they are a weed. Which is silly, because willows are great riverside trees, we need more of them to stop erosion and purify our rivers.

In the Bible there is the famous psalm about sitting by the rivers of Babylon and weeping, and hanging harps in the willows.

Jun 6, 2021
coconut!
unfortunately, it does not grow in the climate zone where I am.

I think willows are beautiful trees, but the council thinks they are a weed. Which is silly, because willows are great riverside trees, we need more of them to stop erosion and purify our rivers.

In the Bible there is the famous psalm about sitting by the rivers of Babylon and weeping, and hanging harps in the willows.
Willows are the bomb! Without them we wouldn't have made aspirin, and so I wouldn't be able to numb the pain of my failing grades and my parents' disappointment :LOL:

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Your thread reminds me of a favorite childhood poem by Kilmer: Trees=).

We grew up with many trees, incl. narra (our national tree), coconut, the starapple or caimito we call it with colorful leaves we tried to catch as they fell, as well as large acacias giving shade and golden showers (below) in my grade school (we also tried to catch as they fell), fallen banana trees where we slid and stained our shorts after storms.. I like to go to Forestry and although i didnt get to know very many trees by name, just appreciate the atmosphere and scents, esp where there are less vehicles going... but there were those with seeds that fell and whirled we played with when we had picnics nearby... Oops, and we climbed some guavas and papayas too hehe.

I like to read the passages in the Bible that mention these lovely trees where birds roost, altho not many are also that familiar to me. One by one, i would try to learn abt them when i can, just as i would other creation of God like smaller plants. The 'tree of life, bearing twelve fruits, yielding its fruits every month' is really interesting, and i'd like to be picking its fruits when the time comes.

Feb 24, 2019
I'm torn.
Magnolia's are breath-taking for me to see,
But the scent of elder-flower blossom is irresistible to me.

Rev 4:8 - And each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around and within. Day and night they never stop saying: “Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”

When I first read this I thought "I'd soon get bored of saying 'Holy, Holy, Holy' ", but then I realized how I just never get bored of seeing the trees in blossom each year, and how I so look forward to it.

(Not sure if this makes much sense.)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I did not know you could eat magnolias until I tried them myself. They are quite tasty flowers.
Arent they gorgeous trees though. I planted one as a memorial tree for a friend who passed away. It blooms in July around her birthday.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Planted a fig (or transplanted) one the other day

apparently everyone in the Bible has to have their own fig tree.

I also have olive. Olives are prettier though and evergreen, my fig loses its leaves in winter.