Once saved always saved (OSAS) debunked

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
You should be looking for 'HaMashiach' not simply mashiach.

mashiach just means 'annointed' and every king and priest in Israel is anointed with oil.

Christ is The Anointed ((hamashiach))
Here is a little more color on the topic....from a Messianic Jewish perspective. Gotta love those Messianic Jews. Warms my heart....:love:

What Is a HaMashiach?
Hamashiach (המש××™×—, from right to left is spelled hey, mem, shin, yud and het) is a word used constantly in connection with Yeshua and many call him “Yeshua hamashiach.” But this is just a word for most people and there is little knowledge and understanding behind its use. So what exactly is a hamashiach?

The prefix “ha” (ה) in the word hamashiach is the definite article “the.”

To understand the word “mashiach” (משׁיח) let’s begin with some common definitions.

H4899
משׁיח
A masculine noun meaning anointed one. (WordStudy)​
H4899
(משׁיח M-ShYHh) – Smeared: One who is smeared with oil as a sign of authority (AHLB – Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible)​
H4899
משׁיח — maw-shee’-akh​
From H4886; anointed; usually a consecrated person (as a king, priest, or saint). (Strong)​
Both Strong’s and AHLB say the root of mashiach is mashach (משׁח — from right to left is spelled, mem shin, het).

H4886
משׁח —
A verb meaning to smear, to anoint. (WordStudy)​
H4886​
משׁח — maw-shakh’​
A primitive root; to rub with oil, that is, to anoint; by implication to consecrate; also to pain. (Strong)​
H4886
(משׁח — MShHh) ac: Smear co: Ointment ab: ?: Ointments were made from oils and smeared on injuries for healing. Oil was also smeared on the heads of individuals who are being given the office of a prophet, priest or king as a sign of authority. (AHLB)​
So hamashiach means “the anointed” one.
WordStudy gives some additional information about the word mashiach.

Furthermore, the concept of the mashiach, meaning Messiah, as a Savior is not fully developed in the Old Testament. The closest that one comes to this in the Old Testament is Dan_9:25-26. This concept is developed later, during the New Testament period and fits better with the parallel Greek word christos.​
The word “messiah” is an English transliteration of the Hebrew word “mashiach” or “anointed one;” and the word “christ” is an English transliteration of the Greek word “christos.” A christos or mashiach is one who is anointed in a specific way, by a specific person and for a specific purpose.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Hi Edify, I haven't really follow the conversation but on your points...

1) There are very few times I have experienced people turning away from their doctrines. Never on CC, but I have experienced it in real life. I think on the internet everybody is here to share their truths and you will very seldom (if ever) get people to change on the internet.

2) Doctrine is difficult because we grow up in church, or attend a church and that is what we run with.
What good has doctrine done? I mean think about it we have this site that can reach thousands of people we have inflence and yet this site is well known for scaring people off

I mean honestly we are supposed to be sowing and furthering the kingdom we are supposed to be a different breed of people but doctrine is the always the main focus not Jesus Christ.

We can accept cc as it is or we can make it a garden where Jesus would be proud to walk in but that is a group effort and if we arent willing to do anything about it we dont really have the right to grip about it do we?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
and yet this site is well known for scaring people off
Indeed, the gospel truth is pretty intimidating for the unsaved. Are they are not willing to make the trade, giving up what they cannot keep for that which they cannot lose?

1Jo 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1Jo 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I agree. I believe it's usually the different types of folks on here. Not everyone comes here for a righteous cause.

Agreed. I have been humiliated before by someone posting a truth I didn't believe & discovered I was wrong. The didn't mean to humiliate me, but it can be very humbling to find out we're totally wrong.:)
I like what you said how not everyone comes on here for a righteous cause that kind of makes me wonder what cause they stand for. I mean it's fine to simply converse and enjoy each other that is what church is supposed to be but dont forget that every word we speak is either sowing into the kingdom or just dropping seeds on dead ground where nothing but weeds grow

The method we are working with doesn't work so we need to look at the bigger picture here

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Indeed, the gospel truth is pretty intimidating for the unsaved. Are they are not willing to make the trade, giving up what they cannot keep for that which they cannot lose?

1Jo 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1Jo 2:19
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
I mean honestly to me its simple does he own you or not? I mean either your not your own or not until we grasp what this really means we're not going to get the picture

P

pottersclay

Here is a little more color on the topic....from a Messianic Jewish perspective. Gotta love those Messianic Jews. Warms my heart....:love:

What Is a HaMashiach?
Hamashiach (המש××™×—, from right to left is spelled hey, mem, shin, yud and het) is a word used constantly in connection with Yeshua and many call him “Yeshua hamashiach.” But this is just a word for most people and there is little knowledge and understanding behind its use. So what exactly is a hamashiach?

The prefix “ha” (ה) in the word hamashiach is the definite article “the.”

To understand the word “mashiach” (משׁיח) let’s begin with some common definitions.

H4899
משׁיח
A masculine noun meaning anointed one. (WordStudy)​
H4899
(משׁיח M-ShYHh) – Smeared: One who is smeared with oil as a sign of authority (AHLB – Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible)​
H4899
משׁיח — maw-shee’-akh​
From H4886; anointed; usually a consecrated person (as a king, priest, or saint). (Strong)​
Both Strong’s and AHLB say the root of mashiach is mashach (משׁח — from right to left is spelled, mem shin, het).

H4886
משׁח —
A verb meaning to smear, to anoint. (WordStudy)​
H4886​
משׁח — maw-shakh’​
A primitive root; to rub with oil, that is, to anoint; by implication to consecrate; also to pain. (Strong)​
H4886
(משׁח — MShHh) ac: Smear co: Ointment ab: ?: Ointments were made from oils and smeared on injuries for healing. Oil was also smeared on the heads of individuals who are being given the office of a prophet, priest or king as a sign of authority. (AHLB)​
So hamashiach means “the anointed” one.
WordStudy gives some additional information about the word mashiach.

Furthermore, the concept of the mashiach, meaning Messiah, as a Savior is not fully developed in the Old Testament. The closest that one comes to this in the Old Testament is Dan_9:25-26. This concept is developed later, during the New Testament period and fits better with the parallel Greek word christos.​
The word “messiah” is an English transliteration of the Hebrew word “mashiach” or “anointed one;” and the word “christ” is an English transliteration of the Greek word “christos.” A christos or mashiach is one who is anointed in a specific way, by a specific person and for a specific purpose.
Excellent here just excellent.

Jesus is the only savior of mankind. The great goel if you will. He is the only one who can redeem, restore, for he is life.
All power was given to him by the father. From savior to judge...alpha and omega.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Excellent here just excellent.

Jesus is the only savior of mankind. The great goel if you will. He is the only one who can redeem, restore, for he is life.
All power was given to him by the father. From savior to judge...alpha and omega.
He is the Last Adam, our Kinsman Redeemer.......and the Avenger of Blood.

That would be His title as regards Revelation 6 thru 19. And more.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
I mean honestly to me its simple does he own you or not? I mean either your not your own or not until we grasp what this really means we're not going to get the picture
To those of the "vine of the earth", the Cross is an offense bro. Its offensive to them. Thats really what it boils down to. One way or another.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
Do unbelievers have this poetry ringing in their hearts?

"Beloved, remember what you have heard of your Lord Jesus, and what He has done for you; make your heart the golden pot of manna to preserve the memorial of the heavenly bread whereon you have fed in days gone by. Let your memory treasure up everything about Christ which you have either felt, or known, or believed, and then let your fond affections hold Him fast for evermore. Love the person of your Lord! Bring forth the alabaster box of your heart, even though it be broken, and let all the precious ointment of your affection come streaming on His pierced feet. Abide with your Lord: let Him not be to you as a wayfaring man, that tarrieth for a night, but constrain Him, saying, "Abide with us, for the day is far spent." Hold Him, and do not let Him go. "

-Spurgeon

Jun 20, 2022
If someone is willingly OWNED they will become more like the ONE who owns them. They won't create a false doctrine to sin and claim they're still Saved. They will sin less and less as they become more like their Master.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
personally I am offended by those who preach on losing their salvation I mean what was the blood he spilled not good enough for you? what all the pain he endured not enough? was his sacrifice not enough? Do you understand at all what his death was? Do you have any clue what it did and where it placed us in the kingdom?
Dear brother, you must understand that people read the Bible and seriously search for answers. I take it no small task to read and understand the Word. I have unsaved loved ones, I want to be sure I know what I am talking about when to comes to salvation. But I see too many Scriptures that say you can walk away from salvation. I don't you can "loose" your salvation like a sock, and I don't believe anyone can take it away from you. But I can only make a conclusion by what I see in the Word. There are too many verses that indicate you can turn away from the truth.

Look up those two topics do a study on them but leave your theology and doctrine at the door seek the truth and the truth alone be a blank canvas for him to paint on because trust me the truth is there he is telling you as it is the question is are you listening.

Sorry, I disagree, doctrine is how we come to find the truth, it's very important. And I don't think there is anyone who doesn't take this topic seriously.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
If someone is willingly OWNED they will become more like the ONE who owns them. They won't create a false doctrine to sin and claim they're still Saved. They will sin less and less as they become more like their Master.
The problem seems to be many people are owned by Joseph Smith, John Calvin or Wesley, etc.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Seeing how hard it is for people to fall away from their doctrine, because it would be considered doctrinal apostasy, then you can imagine how hard it is to fall away from the faith, the "the" indicating that exact specific understanding of the unadulterated nature of believing.

But this is why one strays from it:
paying attention to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons,
And this is how:
2by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron,
And this is the liars seared who possess this hypocrisy which drives one away from "the" perfected faith:
3who forbid marriage and advocate abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth.

Mar 4, 2020
Thanking him wouldn't be enough I would not just praise him but I would swear to them to bring him honor and glory

But I don't want unless I have earned it I want his favor not just a miracle and his favor is not something just given out when we are saved it is something earned and the favor of a king is not something to be taken lightly.

My purpose is to sow into the kingdom and devote myself to his will if he says do this I say it will be done if he says to say something I say ok lets go and this is all I care about right now whenever my eyes are healed is up to him but if the king gives you a blessing and it is one that was earned the meaning of that blessing changes
Okay have it your way. God bless.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Many (if not most) of which are woefully misunderstood.

Yes, possibly some, but it's not possible all are being misunderstood. I'm not a new comer to the faith. Read, studied and sat under a lot of great old fashioned preaching. I don't see it. Sorry. Now it may kick in at 70 like it did for Sis Beckie, but I'm just comin' up on 50 so you'll have to give me grace until then. ;)