Once saved always saved (OSAS) debunked

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Yeah, I started the thread almost a year and a half ago but I certainly haven't been the one keeping it going. It could die and fade into oblivion for all I care
Lol again! And yet here you are...
You think you know what other people think and feel. They're "striving," they're "working for salvation."
Nope. I only know what folks say. NOT what they feel.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Well I wouldn't jump on that train too quickly. I have said that the Abrahamic Covenant is unconditional and eternal and people here have argued black and blue with me over that. Eternal life is eternal to those who believe, to those who follow and endure the race till the end.
I am saved of the faith of abraham, based on that covenant, Not the mosaic covenant.

If eternal life must be maintained by doing something, then is it not really eternal life. is it not conditional life?

Eternal is forever. if it can stop, then is it really eternal?

Jun 20, 2022
Sin, and LIVING in sin is two different things

No one is sinless perfect. So john can not be talking about a believer who never sins period

he is talking about a life of sin..

And he says a child of God can not do that..l
That is what Peter is talking about.

Peter said they were saved but they continued in their sin and became what they did.

Have you never seen someone at the altar and pray through but never see that person in church ever again but at the bars and chasing women like he threw that precious moment with God away?

If you ever been a part of a Church you will see this happen at least 10 times in your lifetime.

That is 2 Peter 2:20!

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Yes they could. In fact they will. and all will be returned to Israel. when jesus sits on his throne in Jerusalem.

irts still talking about gentiles as a group not induviduals

I'm more focused on the first part, I don't think many here would agree with that comment. But to the second part...

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. [25] Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. [26] Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; [27] but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

"Lest I myself become a castaway."

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, [20] idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, [21] envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

"Why warn them about the possibility of not “inherit[ing] the kingdom of God” if they are in no danger whatsoever of losing it? That makes no sense. Why would Paul use the word “warn” if it didn’t also apply to real potential danger in the spiritual lives of his Galatian recipients?"

Galatians 5:1, 4 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand fast therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. . . . [4] You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

Ephesians 5:3, 5 But fornication and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is fitting among saints. . . . [5] Be sure of this, that no fornicator or impure man, or one who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Mar 4, 2020
Brother Penn none of us that oppose OSAS believe or teach that. That is an unfair characterization. We are talking about a person willfully walking away and back into a sinful lifestyle. We are not talking about a sincere Christian who fails and repents. Not the same at all.
Amen.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
That is what Peter is talking about.

Peter said they were saved but they continued in their sin and became what they did.

Have you never seen someone at the altar and pray through but never see that person in church ever again but at the bars and chasing women like he threw that precious moment with God away?

If you ever been a part of a Church you will see this happen at least 10 times in your lifetime.

That is 2 Peter 2:20!
No. That is not what peter is talking about.

If we all still sin. Then he is not talking about that

And peter did not contradict John by saying we can return to a life of sin. While being a child of God.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
No it's not because we both can backslide if we chose so.

Yes we won't, but we have the power to do so.
Then you must earn your salvation by not backsliding, You have placed a condition on salvation something you must do (keep from backsliding)

why can;t you see this?

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Sorry, but you don't listen to what people say. You have a script in your head that you're reading from.
No need to apologize.

The only "Script" I have in my head is THE Script-ures!

BTW, I believe months ago I posted the 101 Bible reasons to support Eternal Security. I think in YOUR thread here. Did catch where you bebutted each and every one of them. Do you need another posting of them

This could really help with your "striving".

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
I'm more focused on the first part, I don't think many here would agree with that comment. But to the second part...

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. [25] Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. [26] Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; [27] but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

"Lest I myself become a castaway."

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, [20] idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, party spirit, [21] envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

"Why warn them about the possibility of not “inherit[ing] the kingdom of God” if they are in no danger whatsoever of losing it? That makes no sense. Why would Paul use the word “warn” if it didn’t also apply to real potential danger in the spiritual lives of his Galatian recipients?"

Galatians 5:1, 4 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand fast therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. . . . [4] You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

Ephesians 5:3, 5 But fornication and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is fitting among saints. . . . [5] Be sure of this, that no fornicator or impure man, or one who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Ok lets start here

Salvation is a gift not a reward.

A reward is earned by works. Salvation, being a gift, can not be earned.

Paul spoke of being disqualified not to be a child of God (no one is qualified for that) but to teach..

As for falling from Grace

Grace was offered to them, they had it in their hands, They chose law and rejected grace. So in effect. They fell from Grace.

as for eph 5. You just disqualified king david. Abraham, and many many people who had these sins,, according to the law. They are cursed.

But remember those of pau. But such were some of you. But you were washed, sanctified etc etc. He did not say they stopped those sins, he was they were cleansed of them

Jun 20, 2022
Then you must earn your salvation by not backsliding, You have placed a condition on salvation something you must do (keep from backsliding)

why can;t you see this?
Not at all, I accept my Free Gift from God and value it.

But I am also given Free Will to throw it away if I wanted to.

No one but myself is making me keep this Free Gift.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
Not at all, I accept my Free Gift from God and value it.

But I am also given Free Will to throw it away if I wanted to.

No one but myself is making me keep this Free Gift.
You can throw it away all you want, it is still yours.. God does not go back on his promises

You also said you can throw it away by returning to sin. That basically is saying you are back under law and not grace.

Jun 20, 2022
You can throw it away all you want, it is still yours.. God does not go back on his promises

You also said you can throw it away by returning to sin. That basically is saying you are back under law and not grace.
I never said God would take it away but if I throw it away God will honor me and not make me be with Him.

Jun 20, 2022
No. That is not what peter is talking about.

If we all still sin. Then he is not talking about that

And peter did not contradict John by saying we can return to a life of sin. While being a child of God.
No, that same John added this 40+ years later

Attachments

rogerg

Jul 13, 2021
So you have no knowledge that you are Saved?
Those saved always have knowledge, but not all those with knowledge are of the saved.
Those saved always have true faith, but not all those with knowledge have true faith.
Many may have superficial knowledge of Christ through their own human intellect, and some may even believe for a short while, but should they fall from it (and they will), their faith was not a true faith, and they, therefore, could never have been of the saved.
Peter said as much in the salutation of 2 Peter 2:1 (same book). He tells us in it that he is addressing those who have true faith.
How did they get it? By their knowledge? Nope! But by the righteousness of Christ and not of themselves. And if by Christ's righteousness, then it cannot be lost by man's unrighteousness.

[2Pe 1:1 KJV]
1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: