I am old, but I'm new in town. My recollection of the last half-century of my adulthood is like this: We thought for a while that the godly thing to do was spend other people's money on social equalizing gestures. Then we seemed to get miffed that able people were depending (banking, even, with pun intended) on that source of income without using the help to support themselves, as more money was taken from our hard-earned paychecks to pay for others not to have to work. We took care of the poor single moms, and what marriage there had been among poorer folks was reduced because the government wasn't helping married families like they were helping single families. And we didn't find that all that mom-time made for stable families. Most of us didn't realize that our good intention was actually worsening the outcome, or that kids need a full-time obligated provider male in the family in order to keep the families more stable, so more social structure began to deteriorate. We added abortion to prevent back alley maulings of the victims of unintended pregnancies, but the numbers continued to climb to the point we made it easy and (almost) guilt-less to end any pregnancy. We were murdering babies of the same age we were trying to save in NICUs around the country. I'm not sure why we had so many abortions, since we made birth control free in most cases, then we added free STD treatment, useful for those who didn't want to vet their cohorts or pick partners that respected monogamy. Somehow we just didn't get the results intended.
We probably overlooked a not-preached on aspect of the social traits for which God finally gave up on societies, which was their mishandling of their vulnerable, in particular their children. Sacrificing our children was always a bad plan and it's turned us into a nation about the equivalent of most of what the old testament was written about, who caused their children to "pass through the fire" and if not that, they prostituted them for religious sex rituals, both males and females.
It's concerning how closely the USA resembles those people now and it appears even the Bible thumpers don't recognize it. I don't think we'll have any heart-felt repentance by erecting large signs saying we're all going to hell, or by maintaining that part of the US is more stupid than another. I'm not being opinionated here, just sharing what I remember seeing. Whew, at this point it looks to me like it's everywhere, in all of us, and we don't recognize how pervasive the deception is. Rest assured I realize I'll be right here with the rest when it all comes down, and hopefully you'll find me holding and helping the best way I can to the end, but deep down I feel sure we are bringing on a lot of our problems by not paying attention to what God told us would make things work in a society, which was, among other things, to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with the Eternal (in His ways, not in our ways).
I can see why some people vote pro-life. It certainly is a basic issue. Justice in all aspects is hanging in the balance when you think about allowing our own selves to abuse our defenseless, our very children. I can also see why folks pick other foundations that they feel will stabilize our society, like free trade or other economic themes. It's hard to find broad agreement on what will work.
it's a long post, but thanks for reading to the end. I'm not argumentative, was just sharing thoughts, and I always welcome comments. It's what YOU think and do that makes this world better or worse, so I'm all for hearing what you think - and for knowing THAT you think. Best to you.