Our dreams versus God's dreams?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thefightinglamb

Are they the same thing? Are they something different?

I remember reading "The Purpose-Driven Life" and it seemed to suggest that the dreams that you have are seeds that God placed in you to fulfill his purpose or something like that...but I'm not so sure....I am not sure that nice cars, well paying jobs, etc. will ever be in God's plans for our lives, but I do know that their is a 'worldl' side of all of us that wants comfort and security, and truthfully loathes to carry a cross...aka the flesh.

So I wanted to start a thread to try and answer the question, Are our dreams God's dreams? Do you have to sacrifice your worldly or non-worldy dreams for God's dreams for your life? Or are our dreams something the Lord intentionally put in us that we need to fulfill in order to accomplish his will for our lives?

I personally believe you sacrifice everything your wants for God's wants, and they are drastically different and opposed to each other...

God bless
tony

M

MaggieMye

There are about 20 different TYPES of dreams. You can know, pretty much, when dreams are from God, from your own soul, or from the kingdom of darkness by the coloration of the dream: Full color dreams are from God; muted colored dreams...grayish or dull, are from your soul and the black and white ones are from the K of D.
Dreams are metaphorical in their meanings...just like the dreams in the Bible are metaphorical in their meanings. On the other hand, visions are literal in their meaning.
God gives us dreams for several reasons, but mostly so that we pray. But He will also give direction, correction, understanding, strategy and revelation and confirmation, and even deliverance.
95% of our dreams from God are instrinsic, about ourselves, and what He has or wants for us. The other 5%, extrinsic, are about others and almost always for the purpose of intercession. A dream about another person or group of people should not be told to that person or group unless the dreamer has peace about doing so from Holy Spirit.
Dreams from our soul always show us our true feelings, fear, emotions, hopes, and real life experiences. Our brain mixes all these things up and plays them out in our dreams. A good example of a Soul dream is the typical teenage girlfriend/boyfriend dream.
Dreams from the kingdom of darkenss are allowed by God so that we can get a glimpse of what the devil has in store for us SO we can pray and prophetically declare the opposite to occur in the name of Jesus Christ. God allows these so we can gain strategy against the devil and BE the overcomers that we are created to be!
Dreams are one of the Main ways that God still talks to us today...and He's quite serious about it as when we are asleep we can't argue with Him or talk back! We can only listen to the message that He so lovingly gives.
ALL of us do dream. But not all of us, self included, remember every dream. But Job 33:15-17 tells us that even when we don't remember, God is faithful to seal His instructions within us.
For those wanting to remember their dreams in more detail and more frequently....PRAY!! Ask Father God to give you dreams and ask Holy Spirit to help you remember what they were.
THEN...WRITE THEM DOWN!! Begin to keep a Dream Journal, leaving space to be able to write down what you think it might be saying. KEY is to always look at what the dreamer is doing in the dream.
There are three positions in a dream that a dreamer will have: 1~the dreamer will be the FOCUS of the dream....i.e., the dream will be completely about the dreamer; 2~ the dreamer will be a PARTICIPANT of the dream...and the dream will still be about them, but may include also being about another person or group of people; and 3~ the dreamer will be an OBSERVER, and the dream will not be about them at all, but about someone else or a group of people (like their church, city, country). Almost all 'observing' dreams are for the purpose of intercession.
There is, of couse, much more to share about dreams, but that would take HOURS!! So I hope this gives you a good start to understanding the purpose of dreams.
Dreams can annomously be emailed to godisspeaking2u(at)hotmail(dot)com for a free interpretation.
Interpretmydream.com also gives Biblical interpretations, but there is a membership fee. At the core of this website is Streams Ministries which actually has the ministry of teaching Christians about dream interpretation. John Paul Jackson heads up this ministry. His teachings are flat out AWESOME!!
Blessings,
Maggie

M

MaggieMye

As far as our non-night-time personal dreams...as in personal desires, God will give us the desires of our hearts as we purpose to obey Him and His word. He will, however, often change what our hearts desires are!! For so often, as we come to know Him and love Him more and more, our desires become whatever His will for us is. The very cool thing about this is that it is entirely PAINLESS! What we thought was SO important five years ago...what we thought we absolutely HAD TO HAVE OR DO in order to be complete or fulfilled, becomes a faint memory of something that we were totally able to live without as OUR hearst begin to line up with His!
Maggie

B

bethbeth5

This is an interesting topic and I just wanted to throw my situation out here:

I love horses and they, to me, are one of God's most wonderful animal creations. They hold a special place in my heart for reasons I cannot explain!
I would like to take place in horse shows, but my church (The Apostolic Christian Church of America) implies it would be sinful.

I am going to try new things, of course non-sinful ones, and I believe God will show me the right path to follow, by His Grace and His Goodness. :)

T

thefightinglamb

This thread has taken an unpredicted turn...as the ambiguity of the word dreams...comes to light...but yes, real dreams I think are spiritual as well--or they can be---was not Joseph warned twice in a dream by an angel???

But I was dealing with more or less what Bethbeth is talking about, not that horse shows are wrong, but rather or not the Christian has to deny his dreams to seek the Lord...or rather as The Purpose-Driven Life suggests, that God puts dreams into each of our hearts that he wants us to fulfill...and it is not denying them but seeking them that brings us closer to God...as I said before I am more of a denial person, and I think the other view necessarily swallows a lot of worldliness in saying that your dreams for greatness are God's desires often lead to people being decieved and chasing after futile fantasies...

God bless
tony

Jan 31, 2009
As far as our non-night-time personal dreams...as in personal desires, God will give us the desires of our hearts as we purpose to obey Him and His word. He will, however, often change what our hearts desires are!! For so often, as we come to know Him and love Him more and more, our desires become whatever His will for us is. The very cool thing about this is that it is entirely PAINLESS! What we thought was SO important five years ago...what we thought we absolutely HAD TO HAVE OR DO in order to be complete or fulfilled, becomes a faint memory of something that we were totally able to live without as OUR hearst begin to line up with His!
Maggie
thumbs up for maggie very good post

M

MaggieMye

BethBeth: Unless you can find something in the Bible that relates to competition of doing something well and being acknowledge for it as being sin, you should feel completely free to do so. Have you prayed about it? Asked God for His input? If so and you have peace about it between You and Him, GO FOR IT! Do not let any legalistic group of religious people tell you that something is sin when it is NOT! Scripture tells us to be careful of calling good evil and evil good: Is 5:20 "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" Understand that God gave you the love of horses in the first place. Entering into competition is not sinful in anyway UNLESS a person deems to do so with deception and manipulation. Your Heavenly Father takes joy in you accomplishing your desires IF it is the correct place of importance in your life...i.el.. God first, spouse/family next, then the horses.
Maggie

1still_waters

I think we need to be careful of implementing an almost Christian-masochism in relation to our walk with God. So many people get so out of balance and think God wants us to 'sacrifice' everything we find joy in, in exchange for 'His will' (what ever that is). This joy draining over emphasis on 'sacrifice' puts more people in legalistic bondage, than in joyful liberty as children of God.

We'll all agree we should not be slaves to our most vile passions, but on the other hand that doesn't mean we should extinguish our dreams, goals, passions and desires on the altar of a legalistic approach to our walk with God.

C

carpetmanswife

LOVE the avatar stilly!!

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
I think we need to be careful of implementing an almost Christian-masochism in relation to our walk with God. So many people get so out of balance and think God wants us to 'sacrifice' everything we find joy in, in exchange for 'His will' (what ever that is). This joy draining over emphasis on 'sacrifice' puts more people in legalistic bondage, than in joyful liberty as children of God.

We'll all agree we should not be slaves to our most vile passions, but on the other hand that doesn't mean we should extinguish our dreams, goals, passions and desires on the altar of a legalistic approach to our walk with God.
You seem to be a mature believer. Why don't you go right ahead and explain for all the folks here, the difference between 'legalism' and 'liberalism' and the problem they impose on believers. Then you can explain what God really wants for the believer. If you take it one step furthur you can explain the discipleship of following Christ, and how we follow Him in His desires instead of Christ following us in our desires. I would like to hear what you think and how we, as believers, can work this out practically by faith. Jesus taught discipleship in His word and in His example with those He called to be disciples.

Status
Not open for further replies.