Outbound links and listing references

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Hello all,

I am a bit confused about the site rules, so I thought I would ask you, site veterans. I have a few questions:

1. The last post I submitted was approved, but all my outbound links were removed. Does that mean they are not allowed or was it because they were linking to websites that had items for sale? However, I did link to an academic site, and it was still removed.

2. On that same subjects, are inbound links allowed? Say, for example, I wanted to reference someone else's post.

3. Am I allowed to list references at the bottom of the page? Can I list references at all? Can I reference another site?

Thanks in advance

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Hello all,

I am a bit confused about the site rules, so I thought I would ask you, site veterans. I have a few questions:

1. The last post I submitted was approved, but all my outbound links were removed. Does that mean they are not allowed or was it because they were linking to websites that had items for sale? However, I did link to an academic site, and it was still removed.

2. On that same subjects, are inbound links allowed? Say, for example, I wanted to reference someone else's post.

3. Am I allowed to list references at the bottom of the page? Can I list references at all? Can I reference another site?

Thanks in advance
I'll answer best I can.
Linking to other sites is allowed. Of course it depends on the site and the content.
Linking to sites with products for sale can somewhat vary. If you're referring a book to someone, for example, and provide an Amazon link to that book, that's usually fine.
My guess is smaller sites not so well known may not be permitted. Or if it's done in self promotion of one's own products.
Using the site to advertise or sell your items or services is prohibited.
Why yours were removed only a mod can say. Mods can use some discretion to determine whether or not to let a link be allowed.

There is a way to link to specific posts built into the site. I never use it, so I don't know how, but I've seen it done.

I'd say listing references should be fine.
Other sites are fine, but again, not the promotion of other sites.

Much of it comes down to more of how and why, rather than black and white answers.
A person posting a link to promote a view the site deems unfit may have that link removed. But another may post the a link to similar subject matter, but as a reference to a debate, rather than to promote the idea, and that will be fine.
See?

And, of course, some things simply won't be permitted regardless of the reason why. Those are pretty obvious.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello all,

Thanks in advance
Hello Steve :) I include outbound links when they are a source for some of the material in my response, for instance, if I have quoted from gotquestions.org, I will include a link to that specific source page. Including such links or citations is actually required so that one cannot be accused of plagiarizing. It also allows anyone who wants to go to that source to see what else may be given there on that particular subject (and/or any other!), as it is unlikely I have quoted the whole of matter, but chosen only the most pertinent parts.

To reference someone else's post in a different thread, all you have to do is quote them by hitting the REPLY button, and then copying and pasting the post in question into your new post/thread. When anything is included in a post within a quote box, however, it does not show up if and when someone quotes your post. One way to get around that is to copy what the other person has said without quoting them, but including a link back to that specific post. To do that, you would first be at that specific post, and click the post number at the top right hand corner of their post. This changes the url from being just to that thread and thread page, to include the site post #, so that when someone clicks that link, it takes them right to it. You would copy that url and either post it as is, or create a link using the link icon between the text and image icons above the message box.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Thank you both. However, since I've met all the conditions mentioned, it still leaves me puzzled as to why they were all removed.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Thank you both. However, since I've met all the conditions mentioned, it still leaves me puzzled as to why they were all removed.
This is why I said it can all come down to the mods discretion. All that's left is speculation to their reasons unless they tell you themselves.