P U B L I S H E R !!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
I have used Microsoft Publisher since just after the Great Flood, and much of what I have written, drawn, and photographed was done and saved using Publisher. The warning came out a few years ago that Publisher would no longer be supported. I never found anything comparable, so I kept using it. Now, it appears that the time is here. It is not working right for me at all.

Are there programs like Publisher you are familiar with, that are newer, that I can switch over to?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Do you still have the installer file/disk?

Microsoft tech support:
If it doesn't work, restart.
If it still doesn't work, reinstall.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Have you tried Scribus? It's a freeware publishing program for a lot of different kinds of computers.

Libre Office is the freeware, open source answer to Microsoft Office. Scribus is the same thing to Microsoft Publisher.

https://www.scribus.net/category/about/

They even open MS Publisher files.

S

Scribe

I have used Microsoft Publisher since just after the Great Flood, and much of what I have written, drawn, and photographed was done and saved using Publisher. The warning came out a few years ago that Publisher would no longer be supported. I never found anything comparable, so I kept using it. Now, it appears that the time is here. It is not working right for me at all.

Are there programs like Publisher you are familiar with, that are newer, that I can switch over to?
Run Office Repair. It is in the MS Office folder in apps. Or search for it on the search box on the task bar. It will fix it.

A lot of people use Photoshop the way people use publisher. I don't care for that but it does give you more creative options.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Do you still have the installer file/disk?

Microsoft tech support:
If it doesn't work, restart.
If it still doesn't work, reinstall.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have you tried Scribus? It's a freeware publishing program for a lot of different kinds of computers.

Libre Office is the freeware, open source answer to Microsoft Office. Scribus is the same thing to Microsoft Publisher.

https://www.scribus.net/category/about/

They even open MS Publisher files.
Oh, man! I am so computer-illiterate! I bought the disks so long ago, and I don't remember if I still have them!! I will need to look for them. (I bought them when I was even more computer-illiterate!) But that seems like the right thing to do, of course.

And I will try to learn about Scribus.

I do a lot of drawing, and so many applications, APPARENTLY, don't allow what I do. For example, my little bee icon above, left, is one of the simplest drawings I have made on the computer, but I also do portraits. If I cannot get Publisher to continue working for me, I still hope for something that will allow me to draw.

My main purpose for which I use Publisher is my Bible study, which can be very long at times and (how should I put this?) I make my Bible studies interactive. (I don't know how to express this so that I am writing what I mean!!)

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
Run Office Repair. It is in the MS Office folder in apps. Or search for it on the search box on the task bar. It will fix it.

A lot of people use Photoshop the way people use publisher. I don't care for that but it does give you more creative options.
I will look into these. Thank you!!

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I will look into these. Thank you!!
You may want to look into Adobe Elements. Photoshop is professional level and it's price tag reflects this. Elements is sort of a Photoshop Lite, less powerful, but less costly as well. And still does a lot.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
You may want to look into Adobe Elements. Photoshop is professional level and it's price tag reflects this. Elements is sort of a Photoshop Lite, less powerful, but less costly as well. And still does a lot.
Thank you, Subhumanoidal! I am going to check into these also. I have to admit that I am afraid to accept anything less than the best I can afford, because a program that does not meet the standard will just be frustrating.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Oh, DRAWING you want!

GIMP is a freeware alternative to Photoshop. And if you try it and don't like it, you haven't lost any money. (cool)
https://www.gimp.org/

If you want something... not so complex, there are other, lighter drawing programs like Fotografix.
https://lmadhavan.com/fotografix/

There are actually a LOT of different freeware image making programs... If neither of those two works for you, google one of these names:
Screenshot from 2021-02-17 18-29-29.png

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
@Beez

i've never used Publisher, but i've been using Adobe software for a long time. InDesign or Illustrator might be a closer "match" than Photoshop. Photoshop isn't particularly text-friendly or the sort of thing you'd use to write a book or a pamphlet or whatever -- it's a dedicated image-manipulation program geared for photography rather than graphic design.

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
@Beez

i've never used Publisher, but i've been using Adobe software for a long time. InDesign or Illustrator might be a closer "match" than Photoshop. Photoshop isn't particularly text-friendly or the sort of thing you'd use to write a book or a pamphlet or whatever -- it's a dedicated image-manipulation program geared for photography rather than graphic design.
I was going to mention InDesign as a direct alternative to Publisher.

Scrobus or OpenOffice Draw are some open source alternatives.

Beez

Nov 27, 2017
I had a little era of strong illness after starting this thread and was not able then to continue. Thank you for the additional information I've been given! I am collection the information and will begin looking at it altogether on Monday. In the meantime, I have not been able to find my Publisher disk. However, I have done some maintenance that is presently allowing a file of Publisher to let me work.