Pagan Holidays

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Reformyourself

How did your dad tie in witch craft with Christianity? Lol...
I was told by mum that he was into witchcraft at one time. Then became a Christian, but not sure either of them are tbh. Anyone can say they’re saved can’t they?

R

Reformyourself

You bet! I can relate to your story, as I'm sure many can in these end times with so much sinful propaganda/agendas being push on all of us since our childhoods. Thanks for sharing.
I had read your bio, so knew you would relate to it.

Apr 17, 2019
Regarding birthdays, the Bible is silent about specifically whether or not we should celebrate them. Still, there are some strong Biblical clues:
Only two birthday celebrations are mentioned in the Bible and they belong to non-Christians and people died on those days
The Bible says it is better to celebrate the day of one's death rather than one's birth (Ecclesiastes 7:1)

Apr 22, 2020
Please do your own research concerning these holidays. There may be some false information or theories on this page I am not %100 sure at the moment, I need to do further research, but as far as I know, what is posted is the truth.

May 23, 2020
I do not know if the OP is a JW but I have tangled with them before in real life as well as on the net. There is a practical conclusion I came to after a time. If JWs or those who advocate ending all "pagan" holidays were in power, we would have no holidays at all but work 5 days a week 52 weeks in the year. Some of them, JWs at least, would outlaw birthday celebrations. Not sure if actually births could be celebated. The pagans celebrated the birth of their children so maybe not. And then there are weddings, the biggest celebation in a person's life. That is so entrenched with pagan symbolism it is hard to find a celebration that has more pagan trappings than a wedding. Should we celebrate weddings because you know, pagans celebrated weddings too and they snuck in some pretty pagan symbolism in it all. Wouldn't it be more holy to just sneek off and get married with no celebration?

If they people who believed as the OP were in a postion to force their views on the whole of society, it looks like we could all just work without any celebrations allowed and certainly no public holidays from work where everyone is off, stores are closed and we can visit family and friends without using precious vacation days.

What kind of world would that be?

(There was some sarcasm there.)

Apr 17, 2019
Grew up in 70’s pagan/new age/evil house.
Wow, Reform; if this is a summary of how you grew up, your spiritual change has truly been transformative! Blessed be you and your family for making this remarkable transformation. Of course, the glory goes to God, but you and those who have helped you should receive encouragement!

R

Reformyourself

Wow, Reform; if this is a summary of how you grew up, your spiritual change has truly been transformative! Blessed be you and your family for making this remarkable transformation. Of course, the glory goes to God, but you and those who have helped you should receive encouragement!
All Glory goes to The Lord. And thanks 🙏

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Uh birthdays are mentioned in the book of Job it seems to me. As well as the birth of Jesus commemorated when it occurred (see luke)

Also, take a look at Jewish feasts...there are alternatives.

Apr 17, 2019
Uh birthdays are mentioned in the book of Job it seems to me. As well as the birth of Jesus commemorated when it occurred (see luke)

Hi Mii

Births are mentioned throughout the Bible, but only two birthday celebrations: those of Pharaoh of Egypt (18th century B.C.E.) and Herod Antipas (1st century C.E.); both are remembered for executions, the beheading of Pharaoh’s chief baker in the first instance, the beheading of John the Baptizer in the latter.—Ge 40:18-22; 41:13; Mt 14:6-11; Mr 6:21-28.

In the case of Job 1:4, the word used is not the Hebrew word for birthday (yohm hul-le'dheth), but rather the Hebrew word yohm that refers to a period of time from sunrise to sunset. Thus it would seem that Job's seven sons held a family gathering or spring or harvest festival and as the feasting made the week-long circuit, each son hosted the banquet in his own house “on his own day.”

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke have passages that refer to Jesus' forty days and forty nights of fasting.
I hadn't noticed that fact. But there's a lot of facts about the ancient origins of the holidays, so I can't remember it all. But it's interesting to know that they have pagan origins. I've read a lot on that subject from a book I have that used to belong to my dad, "The Two Babylons." I see no harm in enjoying the holidays, though, since people don't believe in those ancient religions any more - at least, not in the USA. However, I see it as good to avoid any evil aspects of the Halloween holiday, which is widely known to still have evil connotations. And think churches have been wise to hold a different event for Halloween, instead of the evil kind.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014

Nothing wrong with birthdays, yes!

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I hadn't noticed that fact. But there's a lot of facts about the ancient origins of the holidays, so I can't remember it all. But it's interesting to know that they have pagan origins. I've read a lot on that subject from a book I have that used to belong to my dad, "The Two Babylons." I see no harm in enjoying the holidays, though, since people don't believe in those ancient religions any more - at least, not in the USA. However, I see it as good to avoid any evil aspects of the Halloween holiday, which is widely known to still have evil connotations. And think churches have been wise to hold a different event for Halloween, instead of the evil kind.
I do wonder when these types of questions come up just how much the pagans actually borrowed originally from the Hebrews and Israelites - modified, added to, made their own, syncretized and then was in turn, in that bastardized form, adapted/adopted to be folded back in :D

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
I do wonder when these types of questions come up just how much the pagans actually borrowed originally from the Hebrews and Israelites - modified, added to, made their own, syncretized and then was in turn, in that bastardized form, adapted/adopted to be folded back in :D
Have you heard of the emperor, Constantine? He had a Christian mother, so had some kindness towards Christians during his reign, But he wanted everyone in his kingdom to have the same religion. So, he blended paganism with Christianity. And allowed worshippers of idols to continue to worship idols, but just gave the idols the names of saints. Look up the subject online to learn more about it if you like. And the book, "The Two Babylons" - said paganism that later was added to Christianity in Constantine's time, can be traced back to the time of Nimrod and the Tower of Babel - which was the first great turning away from God after Noah's flood.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Have you heard of the emperor, Constantine? He had a Christian mother, so had some kindness towards Christians during his reign, But he wanted everyone in his kingdom to have the same religion. So, he blended paganism with Christianity. And allowed worshippers of idols to continue to worship idols, but just gave the idols the names of saints. Look up the subject online to learn more about it if you like. And the book, "The Two Babylons" - said paganism that later was added to Christianity in Constantine's time, can be traced back to the time of Nimrod and the Tower of Babel - which was the first great turning away from God after Noah's flood.
Yes, I have heard of Constantine, the first Roman emperor to convert to Christianity, and how his acceptance of the Christian faith turned the tide to tolerance for Christianity (with the Edict of Milan in AD 313 ) in the Roman empire, after it having been being banned for hundreds of years, during which time Christians were terribly persecuted.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
True, the number 40, is a symbolic number in the Bible, and is mentioned in a number of notable events in the Bible! But the book, "The Two Babylons," mentioned that Lent was originally taken from the pagan event of "weeping for Tammuz." And Tammuz - the book said, was a time of mourning Nimrod, a worshipper of false gods, who was behind the building of the Tower of Babel. Tammuz is also mentioned in the Bible.
Ezek 8:14

14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD's house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
KJV

The book says he came to be called "Tammuz" some time after his death. Here's a link that tells more about the pagan origins of Lent, too, and this link also mentions the book, "The Two Babylons." http://hope-of-israel.org/weeping.html

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Well praise God. I look at like this. There is no demon fallen angel.. then down to man that had anything what so ever ...no hand in how the day was made. Yeah.. God..our Father did. So what some man did with, in regards to some fake not real god. Yeah has no power over that day that month. Now.... they will and you can see things happen..ONLY if you give them the power to.

I have no clue how much of what Christ did was not written. Were told not enough books to hold it. And just because no one had some party for someone the day they were born.. or hmm for OTHER things they did do..yet is not written ;) So what?

For me.. and I could careless what any one says. God left heaven becomes what He created and was born. ALL heaven rejoiced. I then think.. wait.. there is no time in heaven. So one day can be a thousand years or a thousands years as one day. So.. wait.. that means .. Christ rose about two days ago.. and was born a few before that. That means.. HELLO they are STILL rejoicing. So yeah.. I LOVE to remember Christ was born! Who cares if I don't know the exact day.. oh and the rose!.

They didn't just see Him and .ooh hi lord. No they were FULL of the holy Spirit. Jewish people.. lol never just stood there and sang praises to the lord. MANY believers would NOT like it at all. They KNEW how to move.. to dance.. like a PARTY.. praises to the king of kings.. lord of lords.. the only true God. And some will not like heaven I think.. this PARTY never stops. Well EVERYTHING God made is alive.. and it ALWAYS sings praises to Him.. there are those over head of God always singing holy holy holy.. wow...3... hmm anyway..

Ask Him some time.. if you get God on the line so to speak? NEVER HANG UP! haha sorry just playing. Yet.. many times I felt.. OH MAN! WHAT? I had GOD on the line and never asked about.. lol. But ask Him if He on Christmas or birthdays gives to us. ALL GOOD things come from God. If its not evil things like that.. God loves YOU. You as a father mother.. what do WANT to do for you kids? Now AMP that up by a GOD.. and then know your desires hello are not yous but came from HIM! But. if you don't believe.. he will never go against your will.

Man..out of all this.. just rejoice.. want to think about His birth and when He rose.. to praise Him every day for that. WHO does not want to always praise Him.. ALWAYS think of Him? I don't sorry want to do one thing with out Him... found myself today about 4pm.. wow sorry Father.. didn't think about you.. HOW sad.. well on earth as it IS in heaven

Apr 17, 2019
I've read a lot on that subject from a book I have that used to belong to my dad, "The Two Babylons."
Wow, does that book take me back! Yes, my father, who was one of Jehovah's Witnesses, had that book as well. A lot of our modern day celebrations can be traced back to ancient Babylon.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Wow, does that book take me back! Yes, my father, who was one of Jehovah's Witnesses, had that book as well. A lot of our modern day celebrations can be traced back to ancient Babylon.
Yes, that's right!! It's interesting to know religious history all the way back - that far! It said it also adversely affects true Christian churches - who, unknowingly, have adopted some of their practices that are not endorsed by the Bible. It doesn't keep them from being headed to heaven, if they are true Christians and know Jesus as Lord and Savior of their life. But still, it has some unwarrented adverse affects on the way things are done in many churches. The writer of the book implies this, and I think I see this to be true when examining common church practices.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
I'm glad you were fortunate to have had access to that book, since your father had it! I personally see nothing wrong with observing the holidays, since no one in the USA at least, worships those pagan gods at all. Most don't even know about them. And the BIble says all days belong to the Lord. Any day can be enjoyed in any way, I think, (Romans 14:5-6) as long as heretical religious views aren't encouraged by them, and as long as evil connotations and activities that encourage evil - such as Halloween, are not used. Christians may differ some in their views on this subject, and that's ok. The BIble says it is important for all to obey their consciences in all matters (I Corinthians 8) and to not ever go against one's consciences. So that means, not until or unless they come to understand more correctly on those subjects. Still, as i said, it's interesting to know the pagan roots in religion there are throughout the world and throughout history. Other harmless things that are affected by their ancient pagan roots, are the names of the months of the year, and the days of the week, according to the Roman calendar, which modern calendars are closely resemblant of.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Well praise God. I look at like this. There is no demon fallen angel.. then down to man that had anything what so ever ...no hand in how the day was made. Yeah.. God..our Father did. So what some man did with, in regards to some fake not real god. Yeah has no power over that day that month. Now.... they will and you can see things happen..ONLY if you give them the power to.

I have no clue how much of what Christ did was not written. Were told not enough books to hold it. And just because no one had some party for someone the day they were born.. or hmm for OTHER things they did do..yet is not written ;) So what?

For me.. and I could careless what any one says. God left heaven becomes what He created and was born. ALL heaven rejoiced. I then think.. wait.. there is no time in heaven. So one day can be a thousand years or a thousands years as one day. So.. wait.. that means .. Christ rose about two days ago.. and was born a few before that. That means.. HELLO they are STILL rejoicing. So yeah.. I LOVE to remember Christ was born! Who cares if I don't know the exact day.. oh and the rose!.

They didn't just see Him and .ooh hi lord. No they were FULL of the holy Spirit. Jewish people.. lol never just stood there and sang praises to the lord. MANY believers would NOT like it at all. They KNEW how to move.. to dance.. like a PARTY.. praises to the king of kings.. lord of lords.. the only true God. And some will not like heaven I think.. this PARTY never stops. Well EVERYTHING God made is alive.. and it ALWAYS sings praises to Him.. there are those over head of God always singing holy holy holy.. wow...3... hmm anyway..

Ask Him some time.. if you get God on the line so to speak? NEVER HANG UP! haha sorry just playing. Yet.. many times I felt.. OH MAN! WHAT? I had GOD on the line and never asked about.. lol. But ask Him if He on Christmas or birthdays gives to us. ALL GOOD things come from God. If its not evil things like that.. God loves YOU. You as a father mother.. what do WANT to do for you kids? Now AMP that up by a GOD.. and then know your desires hello are not yous but came from HIM! But. if you don't believe.. he will never go against your will.

Man..out of all this.. just rejoice.. want to think about His birth and when He rose.. to praise Him every day for that. WHO does not want to always praise Him.. ALWAYS think of Him? I don't sorry want to do one thing with out Him... found myself today about 4pm.. wow sorry Father.. didn't think about you.. HOW sad.. well on earth as it IS in heaven
Yes, the most important Bible theology to get straight, is always that pertaining to the way of salvation that leads to heaven. As is explained in the Bible. As long as people understand that, and the deity of Christ, and how He died for the forgiveness of sins, and that through His forgiveness of sins - and are also SINCERELY (many are not sincere) and prayerfully living to please God in daily life - they are headed for heaven - safe!! There is nothing so important as that!