Paperback writer

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I would write short stories instead of historical fiction, and the stories will focus of relationship issues (not just romance, but also other types of relationships). Aside from relationship issues, I would also like to write historical fiction but this may require me to interview people.
You should check out Reedsy! They send out weekly short story prompts, and there's a great community of writers on there and we give feedback on each other's work. I think you'd enjoy it
 
I've not heard of Reedsy, but have heard of Wattpad. Not good things I'm afraid.

Just finished The People's Princess. The author has also written another royal based book called Before The Crown.
It was interesting reading about Princess Charlotte, but the conceit of reading her diary wears a bit. Diana's countdown to her wedding day is ominous.

Never mind, her brother Charles Spencer has now written a memoir about his sister and is going to be published September 22. It's called Swan Song, Diana my sister

I remember reading in Diana's own true story that she wrote she should have been born a boy. Her older brother John by two years, died when he was just 10 days old. Her parents had her sisters, Jane and Sarah then John, then her, then Charles. Charles inherited the title of Earl. Diana and her sisters were ladies, but they could not inherit the property (Althorp). I think it's very sad that Diana was barred from living at Althorp after her divorce, as she didn't really have anywhere to go. It was said that the press were so intrusive it would have been impossible for her to live there. At the time, she stayed in Kensington Palace as was in London and close to everything. I wonder if Diana ever did go back to stay or at least visit Althorp before her death. She's now buried there, on an island in the lake.
 
I think I would write a romance, but it would probably have quite a lot of adventure, humour, family drama and maybe a little mystery too.
And if I am being completely honest, it would be pretty closely based on my own life. There have already been so many twists and turns that I wouldn’t have to make up very much.

The main character would be a woman who has been pretty lost at times. She has made good decisions, bad decisions and a few that she still looks back on and wonders what on earth she was thinking. Her life would have had love, heartbreak, children, adventures, new beginnings and all kinds of things she never could have planned.
And then the love of her life would come back. To Finland.
He would look at the woman he once loved and simply say: “Let’s go home."
And from there, the story would take them to Canada, to a tiny village high in the Canadian mountains, far up north, surrounded by forests, mountains and snow.
I don’t know if that would be the happy ending or just the beginning of another adventure.
But if my life were a novel, at least there would be plenty of twists and turns.
 
I think I would write a romance, but it would probably have quite a lot of adventure, humour, family drama and maybe a little mystery too.
And if I am being completely honest, it would be pretty closely based on my own life. There have already been so many twists and turns that I wouldn’t have to make up very much.

The main character would be a woman who has been pretty lost at times. She has made good decisions, bad decisions and a few that she still looks back on and wonders what on earth she was thinking. Her life would have had love, heartbreak, children, adventures, new beginnings and all kinds of things she never could have planned.
And then the love of her life would come back. To Finland.
He would look at the woman he once loved and simply say: “Let’s go home."
And from there, the story would take them to Canada, to a tiny village high in the Canadian mountains, far up north, surrounded by forests, mountains and snow.
I don’t know if that would be the happy ending or just the beginning of another adventure.
But if my life were a novel, at least there would be plenty of twists and turns.
Title?

I'd love to read a book set in Finland that isn't a murder mystery...
 
I'm always fascinated to read books/stories set in China as my mum came from there
But they are few because not many have been translated into English or the ones I have read have been written by immigrants into English speaking countries, and as China sort of opened up, not much literature was written about the bad times in the past century after the Cultural Revolution.

Of course my touchstone novelist was Amy Tan. The Joy Luck Club (esp about the mother-daughter bond) and the Kitchen God's Wife affected me deeply. Amy Tan had a tragic family past, I remember she came and spoke at a writers festival and it was sort of eerie because she had her mother's stories which were always kind of haunting her. And when the lights went out, it was like her mums ghost was there! It didn't faze Amy though, she just laughed and kind of said 'thanks Mom'

You can only really write what you know I think and what you don't or haven't researched you need to take some poetic/creative licences and make it up. But it's interesting where a story can take you and how characters can evolve. Not every novel is plot-driven and there will always be some tropes writers use/rely on.

Eg romance - girl meets guy, girl hates guy, big romantic gesture/overcome obstacles they suddenly realise they are in love with each other and live happily ever after. Or not. Gone with the Wind why did you not have the happy ending?
 
Over the course of six years I had redrawn this cover art as my artwork improved I redrew it. This the final cover of my YA horror series.
FB_IMG_1782854861624.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Lanolin
Lisa See's new novel will be my next China read. It's hardback, but I suppose it will come out in paperback eventually.

Libraries do spend on hardbacks for quality first edition books - they last longer.
 
I have now borrowed The Princess by Wendy Holden on my tbr pile.
Another Princess Diana retelling, but it will be more of her life, not just her engagement.

I can never get enough of her story, so tragic. I feel as if I know her personally, even though we never met. She was just so open about her life that was lived in public after becoming a princess. And she wanted to tell the truth from her perspective. Fergie tried to do the same, but the public never took to Fergie the way they did with Diana.
 
  • Like
Reactions: I_am_Canadian