Paperback writer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well not ready to show the work yet. but it will have lots of dragons.

There will be a romance or two.

And lots of cunning plans revealed late in book as i love twists and turns
interesting!

I cant say im a huge fan of fantasy although I did enjoy The Hobbit and Lords of the Rings as classics of the genre

Theres several dragon series in childrens lit -

Wings of Fire
Dragon Defenders
Dragon Keepers
Dragonsitters
Dragon Knights
How to train your Dragon
Dragon Girls

I remember as a teen a few were into Anne Maccaffrey Pern series.
Otherwise....Im sure theres room on the shelf for more.

Mine are sitting above the witches and wizards section.

I think im leaning more toward historical fiction but when that gets a bit too serious I go for the humour. Adult novels dont tend to do depict animals as characters very well with the exception of Animal Farm

George Orwells book I just re-read or rather listened to
Tends to get overshadowed by 1984 and other dystopias. But I still think Animal Farm was brilliant.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have started another paperback called Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Its kind of like the survivor tv show, except, set in the 1630s

so far, so exciting. The guy just killed a lyon and a leopard
He was going to be a lawyer but that was too boring and middle class for him so he decided he wanted a life of adventures instead.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh well halfway through Robinson Crusoe, hes shipwrecked on this deserted island right, and setting up his 'house' from all the shipwreck. So its pages and pages of 'day 13...salvaged so and so from ship, It rained'

'I killed and ate a goat'

'I made a table'

'it rained some more'

'my house fell down from an earthquake and I have to build it again'

Wouldnt it have been more exciting to be a lawyer?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
'I made a canoe'

then proceeds to say it took him many months to make cos he is all ALONE on this deserted island. But, good news, Robinson Crusoe finds God! Somebody had left a Bible on the ship and thats all he had to read.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
uh oh
He finds a footprint and starts to think someone else is on the island, but then figures it was just his own. 15 years pass with nobody else in sight. ?! I am sure the survivor tv show was never this long.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
24 years pass, then finally some others come on the island. He has built up his defences and seems always to have plenty of gunpowder. After taking 'Friday' prisoner he goes on this mad killing spree and kills 21 men. Savages of course.

?! Being the only Englishman on the island goes to his head and he become like this tyrant King. As you do.
Of course he doesnt want to go back to England. Too many people there!

I wonder how it will end.....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Apparently Liane Moriarty is coming to Auckland for a writers festival

I have not read her latest 'When apples fall' but I might have a bone to pick with her if I do see her lol

Though the big draw is going to be David Duchovny. Though I had no idea he was a writer too.

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
Mine would be all of it,but factual about my life. I would call it Truth is Stranger Than Fiction, lol!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Stranger Things is now a graphic novel
It is set in the 1980s USA I heard, so it might be similar to your book. After all, the 1980s were pretty strange. People believed weird things back then. Plus they wore leotards and legwarmers. Legwarmers?!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Read a book called 'Love and Money' its a romance between a wealthy palagi boy and a not so wealthy samoan girl. The boy goes to a private school and becomes....a lawyer.

I want to read a book where the rich guy is NOT a lawyer.

Jul 9, 2022
I'm not up for all that imagination junk, I like Non-Fiction. My book would be called The History of Failures, A 152 Volume Set, 14,252 pages, in Hardback. Volume 15 would have just one page, a black and white blurred out nude picture of yours truly. The entire thing would be an autobiography. I don't think I'd be able to sell it to my mother, but I'd carry it to her door twice a week trying to get a buyer.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh well
the topic was paperbacks but if you wanted to have yours published in hardback thats another thread...

paperbacks tend to be racier and more accessible than hardbacks. And cheaper.

Jul 9, 2022
No problems with my volumes being racey. The number of stories about girls racing to get away from the dance floor, the pickup counter, or the checkout stand, when I show up fills most of volume 48.
It figures you'd want soft-cover after I splurged for dust covers with my 3rd Grade picture on them too.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
? ok
well put the full catalogue online if you want, where can we find your book?

Im not famous enough to write my autobiography, and if I was, it would probably be ghostwritten. Am not really into writing about my OWN life actually cos most people dont want to know

I have too much imagination for some people, but different people read different books. I like books with humour, but then also read to find out stuff as life isnt just limited to what Ive experienced.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Not sure what I would call my book, if I did write one paperback or hardback

Im leaning toward

The Gospel according to Lanolin

Or

Christian Chat Readers...a bibliography
This book would just be a bibliography of all the books mentioned by people in Christian Chat.

my racy paperback version would be

Confessions of a Christian Chatterbox

and would include all the posts in tourist Midnight Confession thread. Tourist would be the main character and he would be this engimatic dude who extracts confessions from all the christian chatters while working behind the scenes with Gods angels to restore righteousness to everyones lives that had gone wrong.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I found out that most of the dads in the Babysitters Club series are lawyers.
Mallory, Staceys, Mary Annes dads are lawyers
Claudias dad is an investment banker or broker
Kristys step dad is CEO of an insurance company

FYI...useless information..

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I am rather annoyed now that my girlhood chapter book heroines all had lawyer dads, so even if they had gotten in trouble for underage babysitting (never hinted at in the books, parents somehow totally trusted them!) their dads would have found some loophole that they could do no wrong.

And also that means that they didnt really need to sit for the pocket money either.

I dont know in what parallel universe this babysitters club actually works. But the reality would be far from the paperback version. Also, how did they get home at night when they couldnt drive, did they just walk home alone in the dark...cos they lived in such safe neigbhourhoods? Or did the grateful parents run them home (or maybe their chauffeurs did...or they called a taxi? which would have cost them the amount they got paid babysitting?! )

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Ok, I read yet another Babysitters Club book. This was ANOTHER spin off and its about one of the back up babysitters called Shannon. It was a 'readers request' book cos she rarely ever got a story in the 200+ series of books.

So Shannons story. Guess what her dad does?

Yep.

Hes a lawyer.

The story goes that hes away at work so much that the mum starts snapping at her daugher (Shannon) whos hoping to go away to Paris on a school trip for a week. But then her mum, whos got nothing better to do, decides she wants to come along as her chaperone. So Shannon DELIBERATELY flunks out her French test so she cant go. And then her mum goes anyway, and Shannon is put in charge of the house (with housekeeper) while her mum is away on HER school trip.

Her Dad, still working overtime at the law office, doesnt even notice.
When her mum returns, she decides since the girls are grown up, guess what, she will get a JOB! (not sure if she decides she wants to become a lawyer as well)

ok, well. I thought, in what universe is this actually a real problem. Do rich middle school kids just fly to Paris for a week. Do all lawyers have housekeepers so the mums dont need to do anything. Why would the mum go on a school trip without her own daughter...just cos she can?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
and its not as if her mum needs the money.
Its not suggested that the dad cut back some of HIS hours. which would solve the problem, but hey maybe being a lawyer is just super important, way more than actually seeing your own family.

Jul 29, 2022
Ontario, Canada
This is an older thread, but I just joined! I've always wanted to write, and if I ever did, it would be the story of meeting my best friend of 41 years. She was my baseball coach when I was 14 back in 1981, she was 16. Weekend trip to the cottage ended 45 minutes in with a car accident, Tammy with a broken back, left a paraplegic. She spent 11 months in the hospital with no escape from an annoying little kid who never left. She showed me who Jesus is.